Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Packing cologne

I just saw this in a magazine, great for cruisers,and one less thing to pack.

For the ladies who bring cologne, CVS sells this little spray cylnder that fits over the perfume bottle, once you remove the sprayer..with a few pumps you have transferred your scent! Voila, and ,ready to go..small, unbreakable,and lightweight!! Elimates the possibility of your bottles of colgne breaking,and your things smelling like a you know what

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I have one better for you Trip - and its FREE!!!!

Go to the sample counter and your local department store and ask for a sample! Depending on the size you get, you may need more than one sample. Small, convenient, and FREE!

I actually picked up a collection of Burbery scents at my last duty free visit. I think it was about $20 and had 5 small travel size bottles, maybe holding 2 ml or less of fragrance. Perfect for travel.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Trip,
Great tip, I may do that next cruise...I usually just take travel size on a cruise and usually use it up and throw away, or if I have a small amount left at home, just take that...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Admiral

great ideas! i usually get the samples from the dept. store, but the thing from CVS sounds like a great idea too!
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
... or if I have a small amount left at home, just take that...
There are two things to consider.

>> 1. A container that's less than half full is going to take a lot more space than necessary in your luggage.

>> 2. If you are flying to your cruise ship, the TSA's restricts containers in your carry-on luggage to three (3) fluid ounces. A five ounce container that's only half full is not acceptable.

I have one additional tip. When packing plastic containers that are less than full for a flight, loosen the cap, squeeze about half of the air out of the container, and re-seal the cap before packing the container. While at altitude, the cabins in commercial aircraft are pressurized to the equivalent elevation of about 8,000 feet (about the equivalent of being at the base of a mountain in the midst of the Rockies), where the ambient atmospheric pressure is considerably less than at sea level. If containers are sealed normally near sea level, the drop in ambient pressure can cause the seams to split, spilling the contents. With the air removed, the container can expand to mitigate the drop in pressure. (It's obviously a good idea to break the seal and allow the container to return to its normal shape when you unpack it after the flight so the container does not become permanently deformed.)

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Familiar Face

When bringing my favorite scents with me, I do the following:

Fold a sturdy paper towel into a small square.
Thoroughly moisten it with water
Spritz it a few times with my favorite scent
Put inside of a sealable plastic bag.

This takes up very little room, isn't breakable at all,
and won't be thought of by the TSA as any sort of "container"
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Thumbs up [B] A perfume is not the same as a cologne[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I just saw this in a magazine, great for cruisers,and one less thing to pack.

For the ladies who bring cologne, CVS sells this little spray cylnder that fits over the perfume bottle, once you remove the sprayer..with a few pumps you have transferred your scent! Voila, and ,ready to go..small, unbreakable,and lightweight!! Elimates the possibility of your bottles of colgne breaking,and your things smelling like a you know what
1) Perfume contains the highest concentration of essential oils to alcohol (up to 30% by volume). Cologne contains (about 5% to 8%).

2) Perfume contains more essential oils and is more concentrated, it costs far more than cologne.

3) Perfume lasts longer than cologne. Because perfume is so highly concentrated, a few drops on your skin will last as long as 6-hours. Cologne should to be applied about every 3 hours.

4) I recommend traveling with a high quality perfume, you deserve it
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I am near a Nordstrom store, every Saturday they have "Saturday samples" and many times it is tiny trial vials of cologne. If it is a scent I like, I tuck it into my toilerty kit.

I've tried those travel cologne cannisters and sadly, my cologne dried up in it in a very short amount of time, a couple months I'd say. So my favorite cologne doesn't travel with me.

If none of the above works, there is always the onboard shop. Stop by there on the way to dinner/cocktails and have a free squirt. No purchase necessary, no packing cologne or perfume bottles.

Whatever you do, always remember that cologne/perfume should whisper, not shout. The only person who should be able to smell it is the one nuzzling your neck or has their arm around you. I gag when I get too close to people with too much cologne, especially men's cologne.
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Admiral

I had a bottle of perfume break in my luggage a few years ago now I'm extra careful. I have a sample set from Fragonard in France and a few large size Chanel Exclusive samples..all around the 5 Ml size, these are what I now pack for travelling with a few of those tiny department store samples.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just stick with the travel size or one that is almost empty and pack that in a zip lock, so far so good.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

An addendum to this thread..When I get magazine with the sniffy panels, I take the part of the ad that has the prices, so when I get to a port, I can compare with just a glance.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Familiar Face

Default gas warfare?

Hi, as someone with allergies, I really wish people would not wear perfumes or colognes in closed spaces where someone could not avoid breathing them in - aircraft, theatre seats, etc. Please use restraintwhen applying. I can certainly appreciate the comment that scents should be only smelt by someone nuzzling you. Even the most beautiful scent can leave some of us gasping and sneezing. Stand downwind if possible. Marg
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

An Avon representative will usually have many different cologne samples on hand- the moistened small cloth wipe sealed in a small foil packet. Ask ahead of time and the representative can order a small box of the samples-but please don't expect these to be free- the representative has to pay for them also.