Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Familiar Face

Default Packing Medication and Liquids

Hi. I haven't flown in a few years, and I know they have new rules regarding packing certain items.

I believe medications can stay in their original bottles? What about contact lens solution? Do I have to put it into a smaller bottle? What about sunscreen?

Is there a place that lists varous items, and how they have to be packed?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Hi AHL, here's the link to the TSA's 3-1-1 info: TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

Anything larger must be packed in your checked luggage or they will take it from you. I found this out a few years ago when I accidently threw a bottle of sunscreen into my makeup bag (it had room in it!). The sunscreen went into the trash and I had to buy more once we got to Ft. Lauderdale.

All the small bottles of liquids or gels must fit in a quart size zipper bag, which you'll have to take out of your carry on so it can be scanned.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you. Do they all have to be in one zipper bag, or can you have more than one?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can use more than one ziplock bag..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Familiar Face

Good. Thank you.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Familiar Face

Default Correction

Actually, upon looking at the TSA website, there is only one bag allowed per passenger.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admiral

I bet you can put a bag in a bag to keep them separate?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

I didn't see anything written about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I bet you can put a bag in a bag to keep them separate?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Admiral

you are allowed one bag per person, and you can put as many bottles that are visible to the scanner as will fit into the bag. it really is quite the pain, just so much easier to pack it really, really secure and put it into your check baggage, that is with the exception of your prescription meds.- carry those on -- If you take a liquid prescription med, you would need to declare it, have it in its original prescription bottle, be prepared to open it
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
you are allowed one bag per person, and you can put as many bottles that are visible to the scanner as will fit into the bag. it really is quite the pain, just so much easier to pack it really, really secure and put it into your check baggage, that is with the exception of your prescription meds.- carry those on -- If you take a liquid prescription med, you would need to declare it, have it in its original prescription bottle, be prepared to open it
What LisaK said! I usually just put my one liquid med, my saline nasal spray (which I need on the plane to keep my ears from exploding ) and a travel size tube of toothpaste in the zipper bag. The rest goes in my checked bag and it's nothing that can't be bought at the port city or on board the ship.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Familiar Face

The list says "medications" not "prescription medcations" can be seperately declared.

I've always taken my full size bottle of saline on the plane in a seperate ziploc bag and handed it to the screeners to screen. It's never been a problem.

Peanut butter on the other hand, got tossed.
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Admiral

I've always followed the TSA directions but never once have my bags been checked that closely.
I've found better security at the local library .
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Familiar Face

Let me touch on the Peanut Butter thing again. It's not actual liquid that the TSA considers liquid, but anything "formable" as I was told. Anything not truly solid. So anything like silly putty, play doh, modeling clay, moon sand, etc. would also get tossed if it's not in your 3-1-1 bag. (Body butter comes to mind, along with other make up stuffs.)
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Admiral

ArabianHorseLover,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hi. I haven't flown in a few years, and I know they have new rules regarding packing certain items.

I believe medications can stay in their original bottles? What about contact lens solution? Do I have to put it into a smaller bottle? What about sunscreen?

Is there a place that lists varous items, and how they have to be packed?

Thank you for any advice.
1. ALWAYS take prescription medicines in the original containers with the prescription labels with you, either on your person in a "personal item" (purse, brief case, computer bag, or small backpack) that won't get taken from you if there's an excess of carry-on baggage. It's alright to have a few pills in a separate pill container in your pocket or purse, but make sure that you have the original containers with the prescription labels available to show to the inspectors if the need arises.

2. It's easiest to pack toiletries and cosmetics in checked luggage, as there's no hassle that way. If you want to take small quantities of cosmetics into the passenger cabin so you can "freshen up" on arrival, the "3-1-1 rule" (individual containers must be no larger than three fluid ounces, and must fit in one transparent (clear) plastic zipper or "Zip-Lock" bag with a nominal capacity no greater than one quart) applies.

3. It will cost a lot less to check two medium suitcases than to check a big suitcase that's overweight.

Incidentally, note that the restriction of three fluid ounces of the "3-1-1 rule" applies to the size of the container and not the amount of fluid, gel, paste, etc., in it. A four ounce container that's clearly only half full is not allowed.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; March 29th, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Familiar Face

Very helpful. Thank you, Norm.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Admiral

ArabianHorseLover,

Quote:
Very helpful. Thank you, Norm.
You're welcome!

Norm.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Familiar Face

Do the liquids in bottles need to be labeled to show what they are?
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover View Post
Do the liquids in bottles need to be labeled to show what they are?
always a good idea. Original labeled containers are best
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

All of your medication should be in their original containers with a copy of the prescriptions.

Now for the real world:

I pack my medications in a two week daily dispenser. I carry copies of the scripts and I keep my Schedule 3 injectable and liquid oral medication in their original containers.

In ten years of domestic and international travel (35+ cruises and numerous other flights) I have only been asked about the injectable one time. Otherwise the pills have never been asked about.

I also go through a pat down due to a pacemaker.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you, but I was wondering about things like contact lens solution. Things other than medications.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Admiral

I just pack contact solution in my checked luggage, in a zip lock bag...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Admiral

ArabianHorseLover,

Quote:
Thank you, but I was wondering about things like contact lens solution. Things other than medications.
It's always best to bring fluids in factory containers for at least two reasons.

>> 1. The factory containers have information that could be critical, even life-saving, in an emergeny, such as what to if a fluid squirts or splatters into one's eye or accidentally gets ingested.

>> 2. In the event that some sort of problem arises where TSA or customs inspectors (possibly foreign) want to know what a product is, the respective factory containers provide immediate identification. If there's doubt or suspicion of a problem, they can verify that the contents are consistent with the label much more easily than they can identify an unlabeled product.

Most products are now available in small ("travel" or "sample") containers that you can refill from the larger containers. Most Wal*Mart stores have a separate section of bins containing products in these sizes in their cosmetics and grooming area. These containers are the best solution for products that you will require in transit. If the product has an expiration date, however, make sure that you empty the container before the expiration date and clean (preferably, wash) the container before refilling it with fresh product.

For your contact lens solution, I recommend buying one small (no more than 3 fl. oz.) container to can carry on the plane for use in transit and packing your regular container in your checked luggage. You can refill the carry-on container from the regular container as necessary.

If you absolutely must bring a fluid in a non-factory container, affix a label to the container containing (1) clear identification of the product (including the brand -- "XYZ Contact Lens Solution"), (2) any instructions for emergency situations that appear on the original packaging, and (3) the product expiration date, if applicable, and cover the entire label with transparent (scotch, etc.) tape or plastic lamination material to protect it.

Norm.

Last edited by Rev22:17; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Familiar Face

I guess I would be afraid I might need it for some reason while on the plane. I usually carry that lens rewetting solution in my purse, so I suppose I could just have that with me....It is a small bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I just pack contact solution in my checked luggage, in a zip lock bag...
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianHorseLover View Post
I guess I would be afraid I might need it for some reason while on the plane. I usually carry that lens rewetting solution in my purse, so I suppose I could just have that with me....It is a small bottle.
your purse gets scanned, and a single bottle of liquid,if not packaged properly, according to TSA regulations, they would make you take it out of your purse and they would throw it out.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Familiar Face

I meant that I could put the bottle in the zip lock bag. I know I can't leave it in the purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
your purse gets scanned, and a single bottle of liquid,if not packaged properly, according to TSA regulations, they would make you take it out of your purse and they would throw it out.
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Reading through the TSA rules, you can have medicinal bottles (lens solution, med suspended in solution) but it has to be in it's own baggie and claimed seperate from your other 3-1-1 bag. Helpful for those who want to fill a 3-1-1 bag, but not include the meds in that bag.

I'm fortunate to travel with my husband, who does not use much of his 3-1-1 space, so I hog his.

Larger bottles just go into the checked case, double bagged.

If you possible can, squeeze the excess air out of your bottles, that way they won't come uncapped from cabin/luggage hold pressure.