CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   purse/bag question & clothing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/381807-purse-bag-question-clothing.html)

sprint180 April 9th, 2011 11:08 AM

purse/bag question & clothing

OK Ladies what kind of purse/bag do you take? We will be going on excursions, do you take like a backpack or regular bag. I would prefer not to take anything but I assume you need your passport? and other info to get back on the ship?.?.
Also, where is a good place to shop for chothes online. I usually only shop jcpenney but cant find anything I like there.
thanks
Vicki

Trip April 9th, 2011 05:29 PM

For my 1st time to Europe in 3 wks, I am wearing a cross body bag..hands free is a good thing..twice last week on tv, I saw good looking fanny packs are making a comeback...again hands free....if you would wear one, go for it..

For myself, I would never carry a back pack...a light micro fiber shoulder bag could work...you have to start off, with a bag that is lightweight, before you even put anything in it..

As far as clothes...what are you looking for..casual, dressy..larger sizes?
Let us know and we can advise you better..

nlb1050 April 9th, 2011 06:54 PM

Depending on the port I may just use a tote onshore or I have used fanny packs.

I have boughtfrom Coldwater Creek and been very pleased with the clothes from there. There are so many places to buy from and it does depend on what you are looking for.

sprint180 April 10th, 2011 01:20 PM

OK I am 41, size 10. I am looking for comfortable, casual clothes. Not really shorts but nice clothes. I saw some on territory ahead and eddie bauer I like. Kind of spendy have to wait till they go on sale. Are there any other companies out there like those?

sprint180 April 10th, 2011 01:22 PM

Also I read on other sites re: cross body bags that have the metal in them so they can't get cut off. Is this overkill or should I be looking for one of those? Do you take your passport with you everywhere? Just wondering to know how big I need this.

Donna April 10th, 2011 07:27 PM

Always keep your passport locked in you cabin safe. You may want to take a paper copy along with you on shore or your drivers license. There was one port during a Carnival cruise they told us to take pic ID on shore. Not one person asked to see pic ID's., so I don't even do that. I just take enough cash for the day and if shopping is involved, one CC, but if not, those too are locked up in the safe.

nlb1050 April 10th, 2011 08:40 PM

I always take my drivers liscense with me on shore. I would say that at least 98% of the time the guard at the entrance to the port asks for both cruise card and photo id and we have only cruised in the Caribbean.

I don't think that the bags with the cable in the strap is over kill as I have seen them online and they look like normal bags.

LisaK April 11th, 2011 11:08 AM

either the fanny/hip pack or a cross-body bag would be just fine, you don't need anything too big, keep it as small as you can. As for clothing on-line, so many choices, i have had good luck with Chadwicks

cheezz May 29th, 2011 03:37 PM

Purse, clothing and ID

For clothes I love TravelSmith - nothing wrinkles and it so wash and wear... super comfortable.

For a purse/bag, I always use a lightweight one I can put over my head and carry across my body. REI makes some very practical, cute ones. Inboard I always carry a wristlet (small purse, about 3" or 4"x6" with a small strap to go over your wrist) with my ship card, room key and gum... What more do you need?!

Yes, keep your passport locked in the cabin safe and carry a photocopy when you go onshore..

jackiel3290 February 4th, 2014 06:57 PM

Day pack

I usually pack a small day-pack back-pack for shore days. I can put most anything I need for both of us and if I get tired carrying it, my husband is not embarrassed to take a turn. I like that it is hand's free and shares the weight on both shoulders.

bjyoung February 5th, 2014 11:06 AM

I have a small cross the body document holder. The type think you might see a lot of people wearing these around their neck while going through airport security with their passport and tickets. It's nice and flat and about 4"x8" or so. I bought it in the luggage section of walmart. I haven't used it in the past on vacation but wished I packed it on my last cruise to use as a 'purse'. It has a window section that I think would be good for the ID/Room card and a zipper down the long side that would fit cash or maps, coupons, sunglasses etc. You could probably squish in a small sunscreen even. I'm trying to think a someway to bling it up before my next trip to make it a bit more dressy.

I also have a small super light weight backpack (cotton) that I use when I need to take a sweathsirt , Side pocket for waterbottle. I usually take it off the ship with me almost empty in preparation for hands free shopping. It's small enough to use it as my 'purse' for airtravel and still have a carry-on.
Dont forget to pack the sunscreen! :oops:
Barb