Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

Default purse/bag question & clothing

OK Ladies what kind of purse/bag do you take? We will be going on excursions, do you take like a backpack or regular bag. I would prefer not to take anything but I assume you need your passport? and other info to get back on the ship?.?.
Also, where is a good place to shop for chothes online. I usually only shop jcpenney but cant find anything I like there.
thanks
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For my 1st time to Europe in 3 wks, I am wearing a cross body bag..hands free is a good thing..twice last week on tv, I saw good looking fanny packs are making a comeback...again hands free....if you would wear one, go for it..

For myself, I would never carry a back pack...a light micro fiber shoulder bag could work...you have to start off, with a bag that is lightweight, before you even put anything in it..

As far as clothes...what are you looking for..casual, dressy..larger sizes?
Let us know and we can advise you better..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 9th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Depending on the port I may just use a tote onshore or I have used fanny packs.

I have boughtfrom Coldwater Creek and been very pleased with the clothes from there. There are so many places to buy from and it does depend on what you are looking for.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Familiar Face

OK I am 41, size 10. I am looking for comfortable, casual clothes. Not really shorts but nice clothes. I saw some on territory ahead and eddie bauer I like. Kind of spendy have to wait till they go on sale. Are there any other companies out there like those?
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Also I read on other sites re: cross body bags that have the metal in them so they can't get cut off. Is this overkill or should I be looking for one of those? Do you take your passport with you everywhere? Just wondering to know how big I need this.
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Always keep your passport locked in you cabin safe. You may want to take a paper copy along with you on shore or your drivers license. There was one port during a Carnival cruise they told us to take pic ID on shore. Not one person asked to see pic ID's., so I don't even do that. I just take enough cash for the day and if shopping is involved, one CC, but if not, those too are locked up in the safe.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I always take my drivers liscense with me on shore. I would say that at least 98% of the time the guard at the entrance to the port asks for both cruise card and photo id and we have only cruised in the Caribbean.

I don't think that the bags with the cable in the strap is over kill as I have seen them online and they look like normal bags.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Admiral

either the fanny/hip pack or a cross-body bag would be just fine, you don't need anything too big, keep it as small as you can. As for clothing on-line, so many choices, i have had good luck with Chadwicks
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Purse, clothing and ID

For clothes I love TravelSmith - nothing wrinkles and it so wash and wear... super comfortable.

For a purse/bag, I always use a lightweight one I can put over my head and carry across my body. REI makes some very practical, cute ones. Inboard I always carry a wristlet (small purse, about 3" or 4"x6" with a small strap to go over your wrist) with my ship card, room key and gum... What more do you need?!

Yes, keep your passport locked in the cabin safe and carry a photocopy when you go onshore..

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default Day pack

I usually pack a small day-pack back-pack for shore days. I can put most anything I need for both of us and if I get tired carrying it, my husband is not embarrassed to take a turn. I like that it is hand's free and shares the weight on both shoulders.
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I have a small cross the body document holder. The type think you might see a lot of people wearing these around their neck while going through airport security with their passport and tickets. It's nice and flat and about 4"x8" or so. I bought it in the luggage section of walmart. I haven't used it in the past on vacation but wished I packed it on my last cruise to use as a 'purse'. It has a window section that I think would be good for the ID/Room card and a zipper down the long side that would fit cash or maps, coupons, sunglasses etc. You could probably squish in a small sunscreen even. I'm trying to think a someway to bling it up before my next trip to make it a bit more dressy.

I also have a small super light weight backpack (cotton) that I use when I need to take a sweathsirt , Side pocket for waterbottle. I usually take it off the ship with me almost empty in preparation for hands free shopping. It's small enough to use it as my 'purse' for airtravel and still have a carry-on.
Dont forget to pack the sunscreen!
Barb