CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   To pack or not to pack (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/382675-pack-not-pack.html)

Trip May 24th, 2011 05:53 PM

To pack or not to pack

Pack it!!

I have always been a proponent of taking my own hair dryer, when I cruise. They used to be in the bathroom,and I wanted to sit at the desk ..sometimes they didn't work,and rather then call for another, I had my own.

I bought a little travel one, with 2 speeds....weighs nothing, & cost me ten dollars, and I know it works for my hair....On the Magic, they had, of course, a brand new one...only problem, you had to hold the button on to keep it working, something I don't want to do, so, I grabbed my own:)

For the amount of space, it takes, I would never not pack it.

Trackypup May 24th, 2011 06:16 PM

I now don't bother. I used to have very long hair and would never travel without mine but now it's short, I can pretty much use anything.

nlb1050 May 24th, 2011 08:00 PM

I have quit taking mine but will for the Oct cruise as I know that the Fantasy does not have one in the cabins. And yes I have short hair so the ones on board are fine. The best were the ones on MSC real nice normal dryers.

Fern May 24th, 2011 08:14 PM

DH uses the ship's hair dryer and it seems to be fine for him.

My hair is short and curly. By the time I've towel dried it and run a comb through it, it's dry :) !

LisaK May 25th, 2011 09:26 AM

i'm with you Trip, i will take my travel hair dryer with me. My hair is chin length, but it is very thick and it takes FOREVER to dry using the dryers in the cabin

Trip May 25th, 2011 09:31 AM

Lisa, can you imagine having to keep your finger on the button to dry it?
oy ..lol

LisaK May 26th, 2011 09:38 AM

lol Trip too funny, on one cruise i actually tried to use the supplied hair dryer just for hahahas, yep almost burned that puppy up!

Fern May 26th, 2011 08:25 PM

I just remembered, I did use the cabin hairdryer once. We'd been in port in the pouring down rain and my tennis shoes (along with everything else)were soaked :shock: . I put our clothes in a dryer, but I used the hairdryer to dry my shoes! It kept cutting off (a safety feature, I'm sure), but eventually my shoes were dry!

LisaK May 27th, 2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1373045)
I just remembered, I did use the cabin hairdryer once. We'd been in port in the pouring down rain and my tennis shoes (along with everything else)were soaked :shock: . I put our clothes in a dryer, but I used the hairdryer to dry my shoes! It kept cutting off (a safety feature, I'm sure), but eventually my shoes were dry!

well then i guess they are good for something! lol

kat1953 June 4th, 2011 10:19 AM

I've had the worst luck with blow dryers on ships, it's hit or miss. I have the type of hair that, while it doesn't take a long time to dry, it needs styling while I'm drying. I don't use a curling or flat iron, just round brushes.

I have a little travel dryer that folds to the size of my palm. It works, it weighs almost nothing, it always travels with me. If I get lucky and the cabin or hotel dryer works, fine, if not I'm not up a creek without a paddle.

My hair is not the kind that looks fine air dried, since the blow dryer is crucial to my happiness, I always pack my own. I'm probably one of the few who likes the kind with the button you hold down. I dry my hair in sections and have to lay the dryer down while I section it out. Typically that means a hot dryer blowing in my face and I need a washcloth to keep the dryer from migrating off the desk.