CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Fast or slow ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/383339-fast-slow.html)

Lakers Fan June 25th, 2011 09:41 PM

Fast or slow ?

Are you all set for your cruise days in advance or are you likely to still be packing moments before you board ?

I am cruise compulsive . If it were up to me everything would be packed a week in advance .

Aerogirl June 25th, 2011 10:26 PM

I start packing about a week ahead and fart around with it up until the night before I leave.

fun2cruiz June 25th, 2011 11:07 PM

depends on the cruise...... sometimes will start packing 1 week before and then sometimes will pack night before cruise....

We always have 1 suitcase pre packed for last minute travel so this makes packing easier for us and works well.

skymaster June 26th, 2011 08:41 AM

I ALWAYS pack the afternoon before we embark! I've tried to pack early, but found that if I do that, I always forget something! If I pack the afternoon before we leave, I can pack everything that I'll need, and don't have to hold anything back, except my razor, etc., that I throw into the suitcase as I use it, the morning of embarkation. That's what works for me! :cool:

"SKY"

Kamloops Cruiser June 26th, 2011 10:23 AM

We start the planning portion after the final payment is made .:cool:
Due to weight and travel times we complete packing about 2 to 3 weeks
before cruise. Our last cruise we left home for Xmas :confused: about 2 weeks before the cruise:cool:. We had a family Xmas then stayed with my Dad (90+) for
a week before the cruise.

CruisinK n J June 26th, 2011 12:20 PM

Fast or Slow?

I generally start packing about three days before the cruise, and as Aerogirl says, I "fart around with it" till the last minute.

Judy

Doug S June 26th, 2011 06:18 PM

I don't really worry about packing too early, but I am an obsessive list maker. I will have everything I need to pack logged on my list, along with any items I need to buy or chores I need to do (i.e. dry cleaning) before leaving. So I guess its list early, pack late for me...

Lakers Fan June 26th, 2011 09:04 PM

I too am an obsessive list maker ,I thought I was the only one.

Manuel June 26th, 2011 09:22 PM

Mrs. TM takes care of all the packing. We travel quite a bit and she has allways travelled because she was an Army Brat and her Dad who is from Tennessee decided to retire in Italy.

She has packing down to a T and she does it a couple of days before we leave.
I have to take care of my shaving kit and the meds and away we go.

TM

Lakers Fan June 26th, 2011 09:34 PM

Mrs. Henry43 does 100% of the packing .I have my list of items I want to take and then she tells me what I am actually taking .The only definite is my medications .

Manuel June 27th, 2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1378299)
Mrs. Henry43 does 100% of the packing .I have my list of items I want to take and then she tells me what I am actually taking .The only definite is my medications .

Wow! That is something else we have in common.

TM

Queen of Oakville June 27th, 2011 12:41 PM

I find packing for a winter cruise is easier, because the summer clothes are not being worn. For a winter cruise, I start packing a few weeks ahead.

We're sailing later this summer, and I suspect we'll be packign over the last few days.

Doesn't matter what trip we take ..... I will be up till the wee hours of the morning, double and triple-checking. And once that is all done, I'll sit and relax to unwind.

Lakers Fan June 27th, 2011 08:46 PM

Manuel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1378362)
Wow! That is something else we have in common.

TM

The more conversations we have ,the more we will find we share in common .

The new magic # is 12

HawkeyeFLA June 28th, 2011 01:18 PM

Being as I drive to the ports, or to a friend near the ports and get driven in, I generally wait until the night before. I find I can better plan what I want to take that way. Since I am one of the 2 outfits a day types. Shorts and casual during the day, slacks and button down for MDR. Driving in definatly helps in that I have no qualms about using 2 suitcases on a longer cruise. (Gotta have somewhere to hold shoes. :)

Rev22:17 June 30th, 2011 06:32 PM

Henry43,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1378155)
Are you all set for your cruise days in advance or are you likely to still be packing moments before you board ?

I usually pack on the day before departure, though I try to get things ready to pack (clothes laundered and pressed, travel tolietry containers refilled, etc.) well before that.

On my last cruise, though, I was really down to the wire, as I had a full workday on Friday and an event on Friday evening with a taxi coming at 04:00 to take me to the airport for a 06:00 departure on Saturday morning. Fortunately, I managed to get everything ready to pack on Thursday evening, as I arrived home from the event at 01:00. I finished packing at 03:45, set the lights on the timers, slept quite soundly on the plane, and got a much needed shower and shave after embarking aboard the ship. I really would have preferred a good night's sleep in the comfort of my own bed, of course, but it wasn't to happen.

Norm.

Bernie by the sea July 1st, 2011 07:30 PM

The mrs & I have a set of check lists. Long for 7 or more and short for 4 or less (still in progress). Some of the items have to be found from the last cruise, others can pack ahead, and the list serves as a final check to make sure nothing is left behind