Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Does it take a village?

To get your family packed for a cruise? Are you the packer for your family, or, do you trust the 'others' to pack for themselves?

I know some people lucky enough to have a cruise room/closet, ready to go, at a moments notice...lucky you

Did you ever forget to pack something you really needed ,and, have to go without, or, were you able to buy before you walked onboard?

Did your baggage ever go missing, and all you had,, was what you had on to wear for days, till you got you luggage?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 6th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

I'm the packer for us. And have always been. And I have found that I pretty much have to start a couple of days prior to going anywhere or else I do forget something.

Daughter packs for her sons but her hubby does his own pretty much. She even had to pack for Michael for him to go to his new job with Norwegian in Hawaii.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014

Last edited by nlb1050; July 6th, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: additional statement
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Default Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
To get your family packed for a cruise? Are you the packer for your family, or, do you trust the 'others' to pack for themselves?Mrs.Henry43 is Chief Packer

I know some people lucky enough to have a cruise room/closet, ready to go, at a moments notice...lucky you

Did you ever forget to pack something you really needed ,and, have to go without, or, were you able to buy before you walked onboard?Yes ,underwear .

Did your baggage ever go missing, and all you had,, was what you had on to wear for days, till you got you luggage?
I never had missing luggage
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

No. It takes a Betty.

I am responsible to put all the clothes that I wish to take in the spare bedroom one or two days before the cruise. She then will "pack" them into the suitcase and rolling suit bag. She is an excellent packer and can accomplish it with no wrinkles. I, on the other hand, even after years of business travel still screw up and arrive at my destination with wrinkled suits and trousers. I use all the "tricks" but to no avail. I'm not saying that my clothes look like they have been rolled in a ball but they will have a few wrinkles that would need to be pressed in order to be suitable.

On our last cruise my daughter was so busy with her work she asked her mom to take care of putting together and packing all the kids clothes and "stuff". Now that was a hard job. She spent 4x more time on the kids stuff than she did on ours.

I am responsible for packing my own carry-on, electronics, cameras and documents.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Admiral

DH and I pack our own clothes, etc. One of the first "rules" I invoked when we married was "pack your own suitcase"! (Another was "you know where the clothes hamper is!)

I start packing about a week before we leave, he packs the night before . It drives me nuts, but I don't think he's ever forgotten anything. I guess maybe I'm jealous !

While I wouldn't want to try it, I think as long as I had my Passport, my RX's, a change of clothes, and a credit card, I'd be okay. Again, I wouldn't want to try it !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Generally the person in the family who is the neatest packer is also the one who keeps clothes neater at home .
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

i am the main packer in our family, i take over our small guest room, put the suitcases on the floor, and lay out the clothes on the bed, make a list and pack against that list. DH is responsible for the camera his passport, loading the car and getting us to the airport.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Admiral

I make the packing list and carry the bags .
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

My wife does everything...I can say nothing nor suggest anything, as she is perfect even if things are forgotten it is somehow my fault..."you didn't SAY you need black socks!"....well there are formal nights....
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
To get your family packed for a cruise? Are you the packer for your family, or, do you trust the 'others' to pack for themselves?
Being single, I pack for all three of us -- me, myself, and I. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Did you ever forget to pack something you really needed ,and, have to go without, or, were you able to buy before you walked onboard?
I have always managed to obtain a substitute or replacement for a forgotten item. On one cruise, I discovered that I had forgotten to pack studs and cuff links for the "formal" evenings, so I rented a set through the cruise line's tuxedo rental service for $5.00. On my most recent cruise, I forgot to bring a second bar of my preferred shower soap so I bought three bars at a CVS in the first port of call and brought two of them home unopened. And on one cruise to a warm clime, I somehow forgot to pack shorts so I bought a couple pairs -- one in the ship's shop and another ashore in a port of call.

On a tangent, the cruise lines would do well to ensure that the onboard shops have a good inventory of items that passengers might forget or might need to replace unexpectedly. This includes clothing suitable to the local climate that conforms to the line's daytime and evening standards of dress, jackets or sweaters that passengers might need in case of inclement weather, toiletries and grooming items, sunscreen, etc. The shops on Princess's ships seemed to be very good in this regard when I was cruising with Princess, but the shops on Celebrity's ships seem not to have many items that one might need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, twice. I ended up buying clean shirts and underwear to get by and washing things out by hand. On the first occasion, I had a two-night precruise hotel package in Rome and the luggage arrived on the night before embarkation with three shirts missing. On the second occasion, the flights to the ship got disrupted so several of us spent a night in New York and two nights on Santorini to embark at the first port of call, missing the first "formal" evening, and our luggage caught up with us a couple days later thanks to the efforts of the ship's concierge.

Norm.