CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Clothing question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/383607-clothing-question.html)

Lakers Fan July 7th, 2011 09:51 PM

Clothing question

Another debate between Mrs.Henry43 and I .

What is the proper attire for dinner on non formal nights ?

One person states long sleeve solid color shirts . The other person states short sleeve knit shirts of either solid or striped design .

nlb1050 July 7th, 2011 09:57 PM

Henry from Holland Ameria's web site:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

so from this I would say that a polo style shirt would be fine, you do not need long sleeves.

Trip July 7th, 2011 10:04 PM

I think you are overthinking this. Dress as you would going to a nice casual restaurant...resort chic. You will see it all nowadays. Dress to be comfortable, what that is, is up to you.

Lakers Fan July 7th, 2011 10:17 PM

Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1380386)
I think you are overthinking this. Dress as you would going to a nice casual restaurant...resort chic. You will see it all nowadays. Dress to be comfortable, what that is, is up to you.

I bought short sleeve shirts to wear in the evening .One is a solid color and the others have stripes . My wife states that I must wear solid color shirts .Neither of us can recall what I wore on prior cruises and the only photos we have were from formal nights .

Trip July 7th, 2011 10:48 PM

Solids or stripes are perfectly acceptable for casual. Wear what you want, to feel comfortable.

Fern July 8th, 2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1380387)
I bought short sleeve shirts to wear in the evening .One is a solid color and the others have stripes . My wife states that I must wear solid color shirts .Neither of us can recall what I wore on prior cruises and the only photos we have were from formal nights .

You can absolutely wear your striped (or other patterned shirt) on casual nights. I see many men in island print shirts, which I think look great :)!

Of course, if you're wanting to wear your striped shirt with some patterned slacks, you may have a problem! Not with the ship's crew, but with your DW :shock:!

nlb1050 July 8th, 2011 09:18 AM

Henry wear the striped shirts and you will definitely fit in with others. As Fern has said you will even see men in Hawaiian print/floral shirts. The only requirement is the shirt has a collar.

Trip July 8th, 2011 09:22 AM

Banded non collar shirts are also suitable..you see, you have a wealth of styles to choose from. I am sure both of you will look fabulous!!!

LisaK July 8th, 2011 09:38 AM

Henry you are both correct on this one, you can wear a long sleeve shirt if you want to, or a short-sleeved polo or banded collar shirt, stripes, prints, plain, whatever

Mike M July 8th, 2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1380408)
Of course, if you're wanting to wear your striped shirt with some patterned slacks, you may have a problem! Not with the ship's crew, but with your DW :shock:!

What's wrong with wearing stripes and patterns together? ;):D

Henry,
A short sleeved shirt is PERFECTLY acceptable. It should be a collard shirt such as a Polo type shirt. Casual trousers, such as Dockers, are also perfectly acceptable.

For ages the "casual night standard" has been a polo shirt and Dockers.

Take care,
Mike

Trip July 8th, 2011 01:45 PM

"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find it very interesting that the cruise line goes into the minutia of even mentioning a collared shirt, when other infractions go unnoticed or ignored.

Your wife could accidentally forget to pack those striped shirts, and this could be a moot point.:)

Lakers Fan July 8th, 2011 08:13 PM

Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1380514)
"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find it very interesting that the cruise line goes into the minutia of even mentioning a collared shirt, when other infractions go unnoticed or ignored.

Your wife could accidentally forget to pack those striped shirts, and this could be a moot point.:)

She bought me 4 solid colored shirts today .I fear our feud will not end till July 17 .

I still need a response to the Bermuda Triangle post .