Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Default Clothing question

Another debate between Mrs.Henry43 and I .

What is the proper attire for dinner on non formal nights ?

One person states long sleeve solid color shirts . The other person states short sleeve knit shirts of either solid or striped design .
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Henry from Holland Ameria's web site:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

so from this I would say that a polo style shirt would be fine, you do not need long sleeves.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think you are overthinking this. Dress as you would going to a nice casual restaurant...resort chic. You will see it all nowadays. Dress to be comfortable, what that is, is up to you.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I think you are overthinking this. Dress as you would going to a nice casual restaurant...resort chic. You will see it all nowadays. Dress to be comfortable, what that is, is up to you.
I bought short sleeve shirts to wear in the evening .One is a solid color and the others have stripes . My wife states that I must wear solid color shirts .Neither of us can recall what I wore on prior cruises and the only photos we have were from formal nights .
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Solids or stripes are perfectly acceptable for casual. Wear what you want, to feel comfortable.

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I bought short sleeve shirts to wear in the evening .One is a solid color and the others have stripes . My wife states that I must wear solid color shirts .Neither of us can recall what I wore on prior cruises and the only photos we have were from formal nights .
You can absolutely wear your striped (or other patterned shirt) on casual nights. I see many men in island print shirts, which I think look great !

Of course, if you're wanting to wear your striped shirt with some patterned slacks, you may have a problem! Not with the ship's crew, but with your DW !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Henry wear the striped shirts and you will definitely fit in with others. As Fern has said you will even see men in Hawaiian print/floral shirts. The only requirement is the shirt has a collar.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Banded non collar shirts are also suitable..you see, you have a wealth of styles to choose from. I am sure both of you will look fabulous!!!

Old July 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Henry you are both correct on this one, you can wear a long sleeve shirt if you want to, or a short-sleeved polo or banded collar shirt, stripes, prints, plain, whatever
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Of course, if you're wanting to wear your striped shirt with some patterned slacks, you may have a problem! Not with the ship's crew, but with your DW !
What's wrong with wearing stripes and patterns together?

Henry,
A short sleeved shirt is PERFECTLY acceptable. It should be a collard shirt such as a Polo type shirt. Casual trousers, such as Dockers, are also perfectly acceptable.

For ages the "casual night standard" has been a polo shirt and Dockers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Admiral

"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find it very interesting that the cruise line goes into the minutia of even mentioning a collared shirt, when other infractions go unnoticed or ignored.

Your wife could accidentally forget to pack those striped shirts, and this could be a moot point.

Old July 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I find it very interesting that the cruise line goes into the minutia of even mentioning a collared shirt, when other infractions go unnoticed or ignored.

Your wife could accidentally forget to pack those striped shirts, and this could be a moot point.
She bought me 4 solid colored shirts today .I fear our feud will not end till July 17 .

I still need a response to the Bermuda Triangle post .