Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:23 AM
First Mate

Default Cruise Luggage

My husband and I have never had a set of "good" luggage, and planned to buy some before our upcoming cruise. I was talking with a gal at work that cruises frequently and she strongly suggested some rolling duffels from LL Bean. They come in 4 sizes and a ton of colors. After comparing prices to some sets and other comparables, we are prbably going to order 2 large and 2 med of the Adventure duffels to make our "set".

What is your favorite luggage for a cruise? There are so many out there to choose in all price ranges. I would love to get some tips and opinions before I put in the order within the next few weeks!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Krista, rolling duffles are a great idea, you can stuff so much into them, just be aware of the size and weight restrictions if you are flying.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Yes, thank you! The gal at work has the large and says she rarely goes over the typical 50lb max. Once or twice she said she's had to move a couple things to her carry on or other bag. They have an extra large as well, and I am very tempted by it, but if she gets close to 50lb with the large, that would surely be too heavy! Maybe I should do two large rather than a large and a medium. I am such an overpacker! :/

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Admiral

We get cheap luggage usually "pre-owned" needs to be light for flying but the way it gets treated by luggage handlers....
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Over the course of our traveling years, I have had lots of luggage, some inherited, some purchased. The best thing ever invented in my opinon, is the 4 wheel carry on, 360 degree swivel luggage The 2 wheel version,[ I have one of these] won't cut it anymore, so, when I go to replace it, it will be that style. Watching people with them in the airport, almost float by, while I struggle. made me rethink things.... The check in duffels sounds good.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; October 28th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
We get cheap luggage usually "pre-owned" needs to be light for flying but the way it gets treated by luggage handlers....
Ditto. Just got a really nice "used" one at a yard sale for a grand total of $7.50! (I know I'm cheap, but have had too many broken wheels and even a tear in the side of one) Solution..the famous duct tape for instant fix.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

The 50 pound weight shuffle is a constant battle when flying to ports, which is why I really like the option I have to drive to Galveston with nobody ever weighing a bag. It is easier to bump over 50# if you have equipment like scuba gear to deal with. Its also harder on the return trip with added purchases (sometimes we pack a spare bag in our bag just to handle any overflow.

Another consideration is if it fits under the bed in the cabins. Most bags do, and duffle bags surely would, but I had a bigger hard-side I took on one trip that was too tall. I retired that one.
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:41 PM
First Mate

The last time the airlines lowered their weight limits (it used to be 60 pounds) the "big" bag I'd been using got retired and I bought a fairly expensive set with a smaller check-in bag, two successively smaller bags, and a tote. All but the tote were wheeled. The first time I used them, the large bag arrived at my cabin with one of the "feet" broken off. There was no way to tell whether it had happened on the flight, the transfer, or the ship. When I eventually got home, I sent it off to the manufacturer for repairs. Next trip, one side got a nasty cut; back to the manufacturer. Third trip, two zipper tags got pulled off, one of them in the process ruining the zipper, and the frame got bent. I gave up (besides, it was no longer under warrantee.) Now I use a cheap check-in bag bought at Wal-mart that I figured to treat as part of the cost of the cruise; but it's been on two long cruises and one short one already, and is half-packed for the next one. By the way, once I gave up on the good bag I tried to intentionally break a foot off of it, and short of using a hacksaw I'll be darned if I can figure out how they did it.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Bet nobody damaged the cheap bags!! can you IMAGINE what would happen to Louis Vuitton!!
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My advice is don't go cheap and don't go overly expensive. Be mindful of the empty weight of the bag. If the bag weighs 18lbs. then you've used up 36% of your allowed weight.

The 360 degree rolling luggage is nice and I may purchase a set of that when my luggage finally gives up the ghost.

I have a set of "Jeep", yes Jeep, rolling luggage that we picked up at TJ Maxx of all places. The set consists of: 2, 26" cases, 1, 24" and a rolling carry-on. The 26" suitcases weigh just over 10 pounds. They have been on at least ten cruises and close to that many other trips in the last few years and they are still going strong.

I also have a, higher end, Samsonite rolling suit bag. I had the same "non-rolling" bag for over 20 years and it had close to a 1/3 million miles on it. About three years ago we bought the same bag but with rollers. I would guess it has three or four more trips left in it. They just don't make them like they used to.

One last thing. If you think your luggage is ready to give out. Don't take it. It is one big P.I.T.A. to deal with broken or destroyed luggage.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Admiral

We bought luggage with built in scales .
Old October 29th, 2011, 02:19 AM
First Mate

All good advice, thanks! We got a set for Christmas the year before we got married, and it lasted for one cruise before it was torn and starting to break down. It was a good gift, but just didn't hold up. I LOVE the 4 wheeled Samsonite sets, but they are way more than we want to pay for the occassional trips and cruises. The empty weight for the large LL Bean Duffel I mentioned is around 8lb I believe. Is that pretty light as far as luggage goes? The dimentions say 15"H x 30"W x 13"D and 5700 cu in. How does that compare to the largest size of a regular luggage set? Here is the link for the large rolling duffel in case anyone is interested. They have a deal from now until Christmas eve where you get a gift card after you spend $50 and shipping is free, so unless someone really advises against these duffels, we will likely go that route. :-)

Rolling Adventure Duffle, Large: Duffle Bags at L.L.Bean

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Jason Leppert

I have been ever impressed by the build quality and overall durability of Eagle Creek luggage for years. And the company's lifetime warranty is outstanding.
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Jason,
Never heard of lifetime warranity, must be good stuff, was it pricey? Years ago I got some Travelpro and it is standing up wonderfully. There is a section to put hanging clothes, so I no longer take a garment bag, this works fine. I think if you spend a few extra dollars and get some good luggage, you will have it and use it for a long time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Krista, i have had nothing but good luck with anything and everything that i have gotten from LLBean. I have the small hang on the door carry-on in the set that you are looking at, boy can i stuff that full, its good quality, worth the purchase
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We recently returned from an official cruise trip to the Carry Islands. It was a fun-filled journey. The white beaches and the colour filled snorkeling was an experience in itself. My baggage consisted the Atlantic's luggage (expandable series) which is a lightweight bag with an additional 4 inch expansion system.
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Jason Leppert

Eagle Creek is a little bit more expensive but not too bad considering the phenomenal luggage they craft. Their web site is here: Eagle Creek
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also need new luggage because of new rules. I decided not to go crazy with the price because the rules now are forever changing and I dont want to have wasted all that money when they go and change the rules in a couple of years again.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Familiar Face

Default Luggage

check places like T.J. Maxx and Tuesday Morning. They have good prices on higher-end luggage. I had to go to several Tuesday Morning stores to accumulate a complete set, but I now have all sizes of Samsonite 360 4-wheel luggage and it is holding up well. I prefer that to duffels because it comes with shoe bags, and interior structure that helps keep your clothes from shifting around in transit.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
We bought luggage with built in scales .

What a great idea! I am an underpacker but the other half is such an over packer, it's almost comical/annoying (4 pair of dress pants on a 3 day cruise; REALLY!!!!!) Where did you get this and about how much?

Thanks
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10