CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   21 "- 22" Carry On - Or forced to check? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/386264-21-22-carry-forced-check.html)

Golden1 November 29th, 2011 02:10 PM

21 "- 22" Carry On - Or forced to check?

I am flying to PR for a cruise. I am concerned because I wanted to use my 21" suitcase as a carry-on. However, while flying to Hungary, I used a 21" which expanded and they made me check it. I guess it became too wide once it was expanded. Has anyone experienced being asked to check a 21" or 22" piece of luggage on an airline?:cool:

Trip November 29th, 2011 02:17 PM

Use the carryon tester at the aiport, if it's too wide, at this point,maybe you can adjust the contents to have it fit..those outside pockets can be killer;)

Marc December 3rd, 2011 05:06 PM

22" x 14" x 9" are the allowed dimensions. If you expand it, or even overstuff, you will not meet the 9" depth allowed. Some international airports (especially in Asia) have even a smaller size limit.

fun2cruiz December 3rd, 2011 05:37 PM

I would also check with your specific airlines baggage policies...... but even then, some agents at the gate are strict to following the requirements and some just turn their head !

Kamloops Cruiser December 3rd, 2011 10:05 PM

On our flights from FLL to Sea there where people with carryons that where to big. Most where checked free to the final airport . That depended on how full the aircraft was and type of overhead bin.

61maris61 December 6th, 2011 01:21 PM

As the previous poster mentioned, it often depends on the flight and the airline. I had a 22" that I fit into their tester and it just fit, then I saw a young girl with a bag that had to be several inches too large. I asked her how she could use it as a carry-on and not get questioned; she said she never had a problem.

Of course, I'm a 58 yr old beer-bellied guy; she was an attractive young woman. I suppose that might have something to do with it!:rolleyes:

belgique December 14th, 2011 11:48 PM

I bought a Samantha Brown "carry-on" from QVC. I measured it and it seemed to fit the dimension test. Boarding a Delta flight last month, it simply did not fit into the overhead bin.

I don't think the pockets or expander zippers were used. With the help of a young man, I finally stuffed it into the bin, but checked it through on the return trip.

It was not a small aircraft so I don't know what was wrong. I've had much better luck with "smashable" fabric duffels (like the ones you can buy on cruise ships) - they are more pliable.

Hope this helps.

Kamloops Cruiser December 15th, 2011 08:36 PM

Some aircraft are now using smaller bins. Some of the regional or commuter aircraft have smaller bins. So it depends very much on the type of plane.

Future Cruiser March 3rd, 2012 01:08 AM

Golden, the maximum size for a carryon bag is 22 L x 14 W x 9 D. Carryon bags come shallow enough, so when they are expanded, they must be checked. The length of that bag is irrelevant because you said it is only 21 inches long.

I don't care how small a bag is; I am going to check it every time. Years ago I flagged a TSA agent by not putting my suitcase on the x-ray belt. Ever since, my family has only carried on luggage that way when we flew to Gainesville's regional airport, which has no Southwest gates, and back home from there.