Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 21 "- 22" Carry On - Or forced to check?

I am flying to PR for a cruise. I am concerned because I wanted to use my 21" suitcase as a carry-on. However, while flying to Hungary, I used a 21" which expanded and they made me check it. I guess it became too wide once it was expanded. Has anyone experienced being asked to check a 21" or 22" piece of luggage on an airline?
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Use the carryon tester at the aiport, if it's too wide, at this point,maybe you can adjust the contents to have it fit..those outside pockets can be killer

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Admiral

22" x 14" x 9" are the allowed dimensions. If you expand it, or even overstuff, you will not meet the 9" depth allowed. Some international airports (especially in Asia) have even a smaller size limit.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I would also check with your specific airlines baggage policies...... but even then, some agents at the gate are strict to following the requirements and some just turn their head !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
Admiral

On our flights from FLL to Sea there where people with carryons that where to big. Most where checked free to the final airport . That depended on how full the aircraft was and type of overhead bin.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Familiar Face

As the previous poster mentioned, it often depends on the flight and the airline. I had a 22" that I fit into their tester and it just fit, then I saw a young girl with a bag that had to be several inches too large. I asked her how she could use it as a carry-on and not get questioned; she said she never had a problem.

Of course, I'm a 58 yr old beer-bellied guy; she was an attractive young woman. I suppose that might have something to do with it!
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I bought a Samantha Brown "carry-on" from QVC. I measured it and it seemed to fit the dimension test. Boarding a Delta flight last month, it simply did not fit into the overhead bin.

I don't think the pockets or expander zippers were used. With the help of a young man, I finally stuffed it into the bin, but checked it through on the return trip.

It was not a small aircraft so I don't know what was wrong. I've had much better luck with "smashable" fabric duffels (like the ones you can buy on cruise ships) - they are more pliable.

Hope this helps.
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Some aircraft are now using smaller bins. Some of the regional or commuter aircraft have smaller bins. So it depends very much on the type of plane.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Golden, the maximum size for a carryon bag is 22 L x 14 W x 9 D. Carryon bags come shallow enough, so when they are expanded, they must be checked. The length of that bag is irrelevant because you said it is only 21 inches long.

I don't care how small a bag is; I am going to check it every time. Years ago I flagged a TSA agent by not putting my suitcase on the x-ray belt. Ever since, my family has only carried on luggage that way when we flew to Gainesville's regional airport, which has no Southwest gates, and back home from there.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews