Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Default Absolute must to pack

I believe I have all the necessities on my list of things to pack ,but I'm sure I have omitted some things .

What in your opinion is a must to pack for your cruise ?
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Besides the obvious clothes, toiletries, camera, I always bring some small amount of medicine (advil, zyrtec, etc...). I also bring pepto bismol because they don't sell it on the ship (at least on Princess). I think they want passengers to visit the doctor in case it is noro which if you suspect noro, then you probably should visit the doctor.

I also pack a power strip so I can plug in all my chargers and anything else I might need to plug in as there aren't many outlets in the room.

I also bring a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle releaser.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Absolute must haves. power strip, garbage bag to use as a hamper,and a now, a white light flashlight.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Captain

Thumbs up

I agree, a power strip is the #1 essential. I also bring a travel coffee mug because I usually get up early and watch the sunrise from atop the deck.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
First Mate

Spanx! lol.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Def no power strip on my list

Tickets, passport and money - all essential plus any meds.

Anything else is superfluous

Annie
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Admiral

How much money do people normally take for a 2 week cruise ?
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always start with a clean credit card, and depending on if you need cash for tips, figure $100 per day should cover it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Captain

I think a clean credit card with a great credit level is a must but even more important is that you check the expiration date on your credit card. This is obvious right and so is taking an extra set of passport pictures which every good traveler knows will save them a lot of time and money if their passport is lost. The cash question is interesting if you figure $100 a day that amounts to about $700. Now I know everyone knows they should have some legal tender - how much I reommend is about half of the amount in cash and the balance should be in travelers checks. Travelers checks would be my main financial instrument because what I don't spend I can exchange for cash when cruise is over. Also ships are generally pretty good about cashing travelers checks. I don't know if they give cash advances on credit cards without putting on some kind of service charge.
Maybe someone knows.
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I always start with a clean credit card, and depending on if you need cash for tips, figure $100 per day should cover it.
Are you saying that if I go on a 12 day cruise I should carry $1200 in cash ?
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

I don't spend nearly that much, with tips pre-paid, some cash that you may not need to bring. Are you big shoppers on the islands? You will need cash for cabs, tips along the way, shopping, gambling. Everyone is different...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Admiral

$100.00 a day is the general figure, most accepted...It's up to you, how to break it up between your spending cash,and credit card purchases.

Anything purchased in ports, including food, can be put on the cc..cash would be needed for transportation, and tips in port.

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I don't spend nearly that much, with tips pre-paid, some cash that you may not need to bring. Are you big shoppers on the islands? You will need cash for cabs, tips along the way, shopping, gambling. Everyone is different...

We will be not taking any cabs and will only be shopping for souveniers for family members.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Admiral

In St Thomas you will need a cab to get to downtown, unless you stay in Havensite, if the ship docks there..The synagogue is downtown....and to see the beautiful French side of St Maarten you need transportation.

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

As Donna mentioned, it really depends on your activities and spending habits. Most of my spending is onboard (drinks/excursions/specialty restaurants) so thats all on a credit card.

For cash, I usually take $75 for each day of the cruise + $100 for my 2 travel days. That is used for tips on board (in addition to auto tips), taxis, and anyone else that would get a tip (porters, shuttle drivers, etc...)

I rarely buy anything ashore now and if I do, use a credit card and always end up having extra cash when I get home.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Default The Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
In St Thomas you will need a cab to get to downtown, unless you stay in Havensite, if the ship docks there..The synagogue is downtown....and to see the beautiful French side of St Maarten you need transportation.
We already booked tours on the islands .We will only go to the synagogue if one of the tours takes us there .We will go to the Sabbath services on the ship.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Tips for the drivers...keep some cash for that.

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The $100/day is a general recommendation but one that fits most people. It prepares people for the expenses they may incur.

Some people will spend far less than that and some will spend far more. But yes; If you take $1200 on a 12 day cruise you should be in good shape.

The other thing to remember is that your ship's onboard charges will be charged to your credit card. If you don't plan to spend much on shore or gamble then your per day, cash expenses, will be less.

I am always amazed at how much I spend, in cash, with taxis, tips, restaurants, etc. before I ever set foot on the ship.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Captain

Taxi is the best way to get to get to downtown St. Thomas, but you can walk or jog if so inclined from the port to downtown. You better be in shape and ready to handle the heat and the distance which I estimate to be three miles. The local infrequent bus is an alternative which I have never used. Most tour buses do go downtown. The only reason I bring this up is to let cruisemates know about these options.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Admiral

On my last trip to St. Thomas, we docked at a totally different dock, you had to take a taxi just to get to Havensite mall, so if you are also there, downtown is even farther, way too much of a walk.

Message Boards Moderator

Last edited by Donna; February 29th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Admiral

One of my friends said :

"Henry ,don't forget to pack your sense of humor ."
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Admiral

On the Zuiderdam we ported in Crown Bay. This was under construction, but the amount of stores was much less than Havensite. A cab is needed,and on thing I thought odd...they were not allowed to collect the fare, withiin the gates. We had to drive outside, stop, then he collected the money.

For anyone wanting to shop, Crown Bay is not where you want to be.Hope for Havensite.

Old February 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Captain

Havensight Point to Charlotte Amalie via West Indies Dock Rd and Veterans Drive is 2.7 kms or if you multiply .621371192 x 2.7 is about 2 miles. Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie via Veterans Drive is 2.6 km. The ports are within the three mile range estimated for distance from port locations to Charlotte Amalie. Maybe there is another port location in St. Thomas which I do not know about and I would like to hear about.

But from either of the named ports a taxi is the best form of transportation for most people, but they are within walking distance if the cruisemate in good physical condition and takes all proper precautions against the sun and heat to see the ocean and water front from a different viewpoint.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Cool Travel Clock

I know most have cellphones with clocks and some don't give a damn about the time on a cruise, but we take a travel alarm clock just to be sure we are up in time for excursion days and such. sometime when you have an inside cabin you have no clue of time. Also, bring some extra hangers if needed.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
First Mate

Default must have

Highlighter for daily cruise activities I don't want to miss, passport (and photocopies of passport in each piece of luggage), emergency phone #'s, cc and Debit card with their phone #'s, smartphone, meds, flashlight, camera, and probably some clothes...lol.

The last thing I do is carry a lot of cash on a cruise. If I need $, I'd don't mind spending $10.00 on an ATM fee...keeps me in check spending-wise. Although I do take many $1.00 bills for tipping.

Oh, and, the phone number of my boss when I tell him I'm not coming back!

Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Admiral

To the people who believe that $100 per day is the norm ,would you take $1200 in cash for a 12 day cruise and if so what is the most you carry on your person when going off ship ?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Henry,
When getting off the ship in ports, just take enough for the day and a credit card along with your sign/sail pass. Just leave the rest of your cash in your safe...While that does seem like too much to take, don't carry it on your during the cruise, just use what you need.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Thanks ,Donna
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Familiar Face

Extra batteries for the camera. Extra flash cards so you don't run out of pictures. A flashlight because you never know.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
How much money do people normally take for a 2 week cruise?
There is no usual amount. In fact, you don't need to bring any money because very few businesses do not accept credit cards and you will use your key for all ship purchases (every passenger gets one). If you do need cash, remember cruise lines use USD so in ports you will do better exchanging currency at a local ATM. Of course the easiest way (and sometimes the only way) to pay is with cash so obviously you do want to carry it. How much you need depends on your destination, what you will use it for, and whether or not you have a credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews