Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Packing for Repositioning Cruise

My husband and I will be taking our first repositioning cruise in the spring. The obvious issue are the luggage limits on the airline flying home to the U.S. from Rome. I would appreciate any advice from the more experienced cruisers who've "sailed out and flown home." I always tend to overpack for a cruise and that is something you simply cannot do when flying. Thank you and Bon Voyage.
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Admiral

I always tell clients to pack half as much as they want to and it'll usually be twice as much as they need.

First, check with your airline because while some have a 50 pound limit for domestic flights, they'll often have a higher limit for internationally flights.

But with that said, depending on the cruise line we're using, I may not take a jacket opting instead for just a shirt and tie for dinner. That also means I don't have to take a pair of dress shoes.

We once did a trip where we toured around Europe for 2-1/2 weeks by train and then done a 12-night Baltic cruise. We actually managed to pack just one bag each. We also had a backpack that contained our cameras, netbook, and prescription drugs.

Some people insist on different outfits for every night and just take too much. We learned to pack smart, plan on double duty for some items, and use laundry services when available.

One thing we love are our convertible pants - they have a zippered leg on them so they can be worn as shorts or long pants. One pair, two purposes - works great. Also, we take layers - rain jacket that's very lightweight, along with a sweater that can be worn as a jacket for dinner if necessary.

I'm sure others will also have some great tips.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi FCC,
What ship and cruiseline are you going to be on? Some ships do have self service laundry and all have laundry service. You may want to plan on having items laundered so you can pack a bit less? Also, try the mix and match to change things around, with the airline restrictions and charges for over weight luggage, just not worth the $..

Message Boards Moderator