CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   How to dress when your fat with arm scars! :( (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/400366-how-dress-when-your-fat-arm-scars.html)

TheGoldenJellybean December 29th, 2013 12:41 PM

How to dress when your fat with arm scars! :(

Hello!

I'm going on my first cruise in January 2014..... Really nervous. It wasn't my choice, it was booked as a surprise, which is fantastic but I've always dreaded summer anyway because of how I look.

I'm in my early twenties but due to some rough times in my life I've fluctuated in weight from a size 8 (UK size) to a size 16/18. Currently I'm about a size 16. Anyway my arms are covered in scars from my teenage years and when I tan they show up like tiger stripes!!

What's the best type of clothing it wear in such hot climes?! I'm going to the Caribbean and it's gonna be scorching. I never know how to cover my arms without boiling to death, and I can't do bear legs (scars, cellulite and they rub together - I'm a mess lol!) what fabrics are cool floaty yet covering and comfortable?

Thanks for ANY help

storybookcruises.com December 29th, 2013 02:23 PM

At that time of year it won't be 'scorching'. It can get hot, but not unbearable. Plus, all the ports are on the water, so there is usually a constant breeze.

I'm very fair skinned and can get sunburned rather easily. One of the things I found that works very well for me to help keep from getting sunburned while being comfortable so I don't get overly hot, are those shirts made from very lightweight material, similar to the Columbia Bahama nylon shirt. (If you ever watch Survivor, Jeff Probst is always wearing these on the show.) I have two long sleeve and one short sleeve that I always travel with and they are wonderful. They dry fast, very lightweight, take up very little space, and are excellent in hot weather. My wife has a couple of short sleeve ones and she loves them because they are extremely comfortable.

Pete

fourxbusymom December 29th, 2013 04:06 PM

First of all, don't be so hard on yourself. None of us is perfect. Remember that. Go, have fun, and stop worrying so much about your imperfections.

As far as what to wear, you can find some very thin fabrics that camouflage while still letting your skin breathe. Also, maxi skirts are a great option! Very comfortable and easy to wear. If you get the right kind, they are great to pack since you don't have to worry about wrinkling, since they already have the wrinkly fabric.

mlbray December 29th, 2013 09:07 PM

dont worry about how you look - go for comfort! Everybody is thinking of their own appearance, but not worrying about someone else, unless it's a fantastic movie star, which all the rest of us aren't. Gauzy cottons, don't forget a warmer covering for evenings, wear a big smile, and you'll be fine.