Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Captain

Default What not to pack

Great article in NYTimes 06292014 about what not to pack when cruising. Most of the recommendations are common sense, but I thought the underwear recommendation might raise some questions. The suggestion was to pack a couple pairs of ExOfficio Give-N-Go travel underwear. The nylon fabric may not appeal to everyone the article said, but I was wondering about the washing and drying. The second option concerning underwear was to refresh the lingerie drawer. Bring a few pair and buy the rest there. That is the most common sense approach I thought.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When the baggage regulations and fees came along, that was the speed bump, that made crusiers, realize they could not pack the kitchen sink any longer. I have seen people shlepping some strange stuff!

Leaving the heavy formalwear home I think, was the beginning of the demise of formal nights in my mind. I do think most ladies are thrilled bringing mix and match, clothing. Buying underwear along the way is not something I would do, when I have a drawerful at home. I do need to bring more shoes then the average cruiser, due to swelling...the shoe that fits when I get onboard, is not the shoe I will walk off the ship wearing, sadly.

Packing well, is a learned craft....we all need more cruises to get it right...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 1st, 2014, 10:55 AM
Admiral

We use used the travel undies. They are not uncomfortable and dry thoroughly overnighpht.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

.........Why?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
First Mate

I certainly do not plan on spending my vacation at the sink every night washing my undies, I don't care how fast they dry! And when I get to port, I do not want to be forced to waste touring time to seek out a shop which sells undies rather than t shirts in order to refurbish my supply! They really don't take up that much room. Just put them in a plastic bag and squeeze out the air, easy peasy.

Now shoes, that's another story! Can't flatten those out, and I can't get by with just 2 or 3 pair like the husband can. Well, I probably could, but I am getting better at thinning the shoes selection on every trip. I can remember a time they required their own suitcase!
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Clothing ideas

I realize this is an old post, but just in case you come across this!

One of the best ideas I read was for ladies to use the lightweight panty liners. Those donít take up much room and you can use those instead of washing underwear or taking a lot of underwear.