Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Captain

Default What does the minimalist pack for 7 day cruise

I was wondering if there was a list of what the minilamist would pack for a seven day cruise. This would not be a nudist or sunworshipper cruise. Do you need two pairs of shoes walking shoes and a dress pair of leather and do you need
a pair of sandals for beachside wear? Could you get by with one bathing suit. Or could the bathing suit double as a pair of shorts?
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Captain

Toothbrush
Deodorant
Credit Card
Passport
1 set of clothes
Bathing suit(wear it while washing in sink)
Ziplock bag detergent

Think that about covers it, should all fit in a ladies purse or pockets of your cargo shorts. Did I miss anything essential?

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Captain

Default Got it in one as they say in Britian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Toothbrush
Deodorant
Credit Card
Passport
1 set of clothes
Bathing suit(wear it while washing in sink)
Ziplock bag detergent

Think that about covers it, should all fit in a ladies purse or pockets of your cargo shorts. Did I miss anything essential?
That is pretty all encompassing comprehensive list.
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Admiral

I assume toothbrush implies tooth paste.

Why bring a change of clothes. You board the ship dressed.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 16th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Captain

You got me there I forgot toothpaste. How about we replace detergent with baking soda which can be used for laundry and toothpaste. Now we don't have any extra items

The set of clothes was assumed to be what you are wearing already. In fact you could wear tshirt as undershirt, long sleeve shirt, even a jacket depending on the climate. Then you can have 3 looks and not appear to always have the same gear on.

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Captain

Default Baking soda would be on top of the minimalist travelers packing list

Baking soda can do a lot more than just be used as a deodorant or toothpaste.
Skip produce washes—just put some baking soda on a damp sponge, scrub and rinse.
Soak hair brushes and combs in a mixture of 1 teaspoon baking soda and a small amount of warm water. Rinse and dry.
Deodorize a funky-smelling hamper. Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the hamper (or over dirty clothes) to keep items fresher until laundry day.
To put out a grease fire, scatter baking soda over it by the handful to extinguish flames.
Add ½ cup baking soda to your bath for an at-home spa treatment.
To shine tarnished silver, combine three parts baking soda with one part water. Rub onto silver with a clean cloth or sponge. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
For instant relief from bug bites, sunburn and poison ivy, mix baking soda with a little water and apply it directly to the sore.
Fight dandruff by tabling the shampoo for a few weeks and massaging your wet scalp with a handful of baking soda instead.
Gargle with baking soda, or use it as mouthwash.
Soak toothbrushes in a mixture of ¼ cup baking soda and ¼ cup water; let brushes stand overnight for a thorough cleaning.
Use a pinch in a gallon of freshly-brewed iced tea, to take out the bitterness and prevent cloudiness.
Mix a little baking soda into your conditioner and lather on your hair to keep it healthy and resistant to split ends.
Have heartburn? Create an antacid by mixing ½ teaspoon of baking soda with ½ cup of water.
Exfoliate your skin with a paste of 3 parts baking soda to one part water.
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Captain

Do you work for a baking soda company?

Old August 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Question

How did I manage to travel all these years without taking along baking soda ????????

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Captain

Default Arm and Hammer is one of my favorite compani

Quote:
Do you work for a baking soda company?
The answer is no but I do like the Arm and Hammer Company which produces multi-purpose enviromentally friendly baking soda.

Last edited by bonnyprincecharlie; August 17th, 2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Baking soda can do a lot more than just be used as a deodorant or toothpaste.
Skip produce washes—just put some baking soda on a damp sponge, scrub and rinse.
Soak hair brushes and combs in a mixture of 1 teaspoon baking soda and a small amount of warm water. Rinse and dry.
Deodorize a funky-smelling hamper. Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the hamper (or over dirty clothes) to keep items fresher until laundry day.
To put out a grease fire, scatter baking soda over it by the handful to extinguish flames.
Add ½ cup baking soda to your bath for an at-home spa treatment.
To shine tarnished silver, combine three parts baking soda with one part water. Rub onto silver with a clean cloth or sponge. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
For instant relief from bug bites, sunburn and poison ivy, mix baking soda with a little water and apply it directly to the sore.
Fight dandruff by tabling the shampoo for a few weeks and massaging your wet scalp with a handful of baking soda instead.
Gargle with baking soda, or use it as mouthwash.
Soak toothbrushes in a mixture of ¼ cup baking soda and ¼ cup water; let brushes stand overnight for a thorough cleaning.
Use a pinch in a gallon of freshly-brewed iced tea, to take out the bitterness and prevent cloudiness.
Mix a little baking soda into your conditioner and lather on your hair to keep it healthy and resistant to split ends.
Have heartburn? Create an antacid by mixing ½ teaspoon of baking soda with ½ cup of water.
Exfoliate your skin with a paste of 3 parts baking soda to one part water.
This explains all the grease fires and funky smelling hampers in my stateroom over the years.
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:57 AM
Admiral

We had table mates on one cruise that came close to this list. I don't know if they brought swimsuits but we saw them in the same clothes a lot, if not always. They never mentioned lost luggage.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM
Captain

Default Reminds me of the Canadians who lost their luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
We had table mates on one cruise that came close to this list. I don't know if they brought swimsuits but we saw them in the same clothes a lot, if not always. They never mentioned lost luggage.
The point of this story is that the cruise line rented formal outfits for them for the formal nights. I don't know what they wore the rest of the time but they were well finished on the formal nights.
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Captain

I've heard of the cruiselines leaving the luggage of a passenger at the departure destination and losing it for long enough they didn't get it back until coming home. If I recall it was put onto another ship from the same line that also left that day. They received obc to buy clothes in the on board shops for the trip, I believe it was about $500. Yes most of the clothes they wore all week had the cruiseline's name on it, but at least they had some clothes.

I don't recall who it was but would assume all lines have a similar policy.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Captain

Default Could people who lose luggage do it intentionally?

Quote:
I've heard of the cruiselines leaving the luggage of a passenger at the departure destination and losing it for long enough they didn't get it back until coming home. If I recall it was put onto another ship from the same line that also left that day. They received obc to buy clothes in the on board shops for the trip, I believe it was about $500. Yes most of the clothes they wore all week had the cruiseline's name on it, but at least they had some clothes.

I don't recall who it was but would assume all lines have a similar policy.
With the possibility of a handsome payout, I wonder if some unscrupulous people would somehow lose their luggage intentionally. I don't know how they could do this but who knows what lurks in the minds of evil ones?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Captain

*puts on evil cap*

In most ports I've been to different ships board far apart from one another even if it's the same cruiseline. In some though like Vancouver everyone goes through the same area and security to get to the max 4 ships. If say Carnival had 2 ships at once leaving and you went to the porter and gave the room number they write it on a luggage tag and put it on board. But you could intentionally go to the wrong porter and say you were on one ship when in fact you are on a different Carnival ship. There would be no record of your incident and it would be seen as a mistake on your part or the porters, no proof. You board, make a big stink about not getting your luggage and get a credit.

Couple of flaws though; even if they give you obc you would need to buy clothes in the shops. Unless you wanted to scam the cruiseline out of $500 in clothes what would be the benefit? You could bring a backpack that you carry on that contains clothes and then try to spend your credit on say a diamond bracelet but who knows if they would even allow that. Also you could have your roommate put half their clothes in one bag and half yours and put that on the right ship. Now you have clothes and just lost the fake bag, but again if they lose half your luggage only you might get half the benefit.

I wouldn't try this more than once per affiliated cruiseline.

Totally doable with a bit of planning. *cackles*

Old August 24th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Captain

Default Minimalist would carry possessions in plastic bag

A plastic bag would be the minimalist choice for luggage. The bag could be emptied after getting on the ship and used as a bathing suit container or beach bag. On sunny days it would serve for head protection.