Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs Share cruise trivia or jokes: Registered Users Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Default On This Day In Music

I am a contributor to an online music board .I post trivia questions as well as music facts .One of the things I do is :On This Day In Music .

March 24 :

Mike Kellie (Spooky Tooth ) born in 1947

Elvis Presley inducted into the army in 1958
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As an avid musician myself I am often found on guitar playing boards, etc. Do you play any intruments?

I am actually in the process of working on a new song (when I have free time) right now, I have protools studio here in my office.

You have give kudos to Elvis for paying his debt to duty. These days a celebrity would probably find a way to get out of the draft (assuming we ever needed one again).

Not many public figures actually make such statements anymore, they find a way to make themselves the exception to the rule. In fact, Elvis wanted to get out of it, but Col Tom Parker insisted he had to go.

It's funny, young people now just don't get it, but back then you didn't even question your duty to country, you just did what they said you had to do. I was all hippie all the way, but somehow I think the pendulum has swung too far.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul :

I don't play any instruments .However ,back in the late 60's to early 70's I was reviewing music for a record company before the LP's were distributed .
I've met a lot of singers /musicians over the years ,some before they became famous .

I always believed that society termed "hippie " although I considered myself to be one .
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Admiral

March 25 :

Aretha Franklin is 68

Elton John is 63

The first concert in NYC by The Who -1967

Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon charts in 1968
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Henry...you are a man full of surprises..I played cornet in a garage band in the late 60's (to meet girls) when the hot groups were BST, Chicago, Ides of March..the great irony was last year on the Smooth Music Cruise I met Jim Peterik (sp?) founder of the Ides of March and got to sing "Vehicle" with him on stage at a midnight Jam session (with Greg Adams, trumpet player and founding member of Tower of Power)...what an experience I collect album covers from the 60's and frame them for art work

Paul, you are so right, Col. Parker, understood the marketing/public relations coup and the $$$$$ he could make by making Elvis join the army.but remember when Elvis was in , Vietnam had not blown up yet..today's rappers go to jail and their cd sales blow up...remember Staff Sgt Barry McGuire and his one hit "Eve of Destruction" was the only man in uniform to make $$$$..didn't Rick Nelson go in the service at his prime in the 50's also ????

Hippie was a very foreign term to me and the first Black Hippie I remember was Jimi Hendrix..saw Aretha Franklin at Essence a few years ago..a shell of her former self

things we have in common on these boards..my favorite all time groups.."The Young Rascals' featuring Felix Cavilier...one of the first great cross over bands from the 60's and Sly & The Family Stone
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Venice :

I saw Aretha Franklin at the Brooklyn Apollo before she hit it big .I saw the Rascals in concert last summer . There were a lot of black Yippies in the 60's
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, I have wondreed why Elvis was drafted - was the Korean war on? I know it was pre-Vietnam.

I do remember Rick Nelson did go into the army now. Probably one reason the other musicians were not so nice to him at that "Garden Party" he went to.

I liked the Rascals, as well as the early 70s horn bands like Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago and a band called The Flock from Chicago that no one else knew about.

I was always sort of a nerd with my rocker friends because I liked horn bands and I wanted to learn how to write charts. Now I can read music (kind of rare for lead guitar players these days) and they are amazed I "figure out" solos like Something by the Beatles so fast (I just get the music). I also write songs with horn parts I play from my samplers.

Sounds like you were an "A&R" man - artist & repetoire - if you reviewed music for record companies before it came out.

Personally I considered all of the black musicians I liked in the 60s to be hippies - including Sly. I guess Little Richard was not exactly a hippie, he got a little angry with those white British bands "stealing" his songs. Actually, they paid some royalties but he might not have gotten any of them.
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Living in NYC in the 60's was a great time for music .So many great clubs and so many singers starting out like Richie Havens and Bob Dylan . I saw them both when they were in their early 20's .
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Admiral

two of my alltime favorite music movies are "The Committments' & 'The TAMI Show"

The Committments highlight how popular "Race Music" (as it was called during that period) was in Europe and in fact when the British Invasion (Beatles, Rolling Stones) etc. were invading the shores of the United States in the 60's, Black artist (Wilson Pickett, Fats Domino, Jackie Wilson etc) were finding wide acceptance in Europe..The TAMI show was like discovering an ancient archive of the 60's generation and introduced to the world James Brown..music of that era was the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement..

I think the "Hippie Movement" and the "Black Power Movement" overlapped in the late 60's, which may have accounted for not alot of popular cross over artists at that time...Hendrix was the Prince of his day..The Last Poets were the rap artist of the day.. Berry Gordy at Motown built an empire of gaining acceptance for the "Sound of Young America'..Elvis of course, was the greatest cross over artist of his time and it was so ironic that his daughter married the King of Pop Michael Jackson (who is the greatest cross over artist of all time) and "The Funk Brothers" the house band of Motown were white musicians..the first few albums for the Righteous Brothers did not have their picture on the cover

Paul..Little Richard has a biography that I think you may enjoy reading...Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis use to play together in New Orleans back in the day when it was not allowed

remember guys..I actually was at Woodstock for about 18 hours (less then 45 minutes from where I grew up) and I didn't see alot of Hippies of color

Henry..when you get well, we've got to figure how to get on the same cruise together with Paul and after our back therapy in the hydro pool during the day, Paul can buy us drinks after dinner and we can discuss the great music of the 60's

Henry..were you working in the music industry during the payola mess ?
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Evening Venice :

I never worked in the music industry .A cousin of mine was friends with the daughter of a record company owner and he heard about my interest in music and inquired if I would like to give my opinions on LP's prior to their release ,not his company .I said sure . From 1988 to 1992 I was notarizing music contracts . The Black Power movement began ,as I recall about 1966 after the Attica riots .
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Admiral

The Korean War was over in 1953. Elvis went into the Army in '58 I think, which was before Vietnam.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Admiral

March 26:

Fred Paris (Five Satins) born in 1936

The Great Diana Ross is 66 years young today

Richard Tandy (ELO) born in 1948

Steven Tyler is 62

Fran Sheehan (Boston) born in 1949

Funny Girl starring my former neighbor Barbra Streisand opened in 1964
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Admiral

March 27 :

The Great Sarah Vaughn born in 1924

I Can't Explain ,the first hit by The Who-1965
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Admiral

March 28 :

Rufus Thomas born in 1917

John Evans (Jethro Tull) born in 1948

Long Tall Sally by Little Richard charts on 1956
Old March 28th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am just trying to figure out why Elvis was drafted if there was no war on.

I saw the Last Poets at a Miles Davis concert at he Shrine in LA in 1973. They opened up. I have told this story here once so i won't repeat it, but it is pretty funny. You can search the boards for it if you want to read it.

They truly were the first rap group. That was my second time seeing Miles and truthfully I had seen better, but he had John McLaughlin with him the second time and he blew people away on guitar.

I knew some of the Motown peeps in Los Angeles after the company moved there in about 1972 including a gal who moved out with Motown but then quit to work for Della Reese (Touched by an Angel). She was a very good friend who went on to be Phil Spector's secretary. After that she became very paranoid (guess its infectious).

I am sure you are right about those early black artists getting acceptance in Europe, but at the same time in the States many of them were crushed when the British invasion uprooted their careers. Also back then it was very common for a "colored record" to come out and for a white guy like Pat Boone to immediately cover it (release the same song), Tutti Frutti comes to mind, so all the white kids could buy it under socially acceptable conditions.

I think Little Richard is the greatest and I would read that book. Let's aknowledge the South for spawning rock n roll, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly. When I lived in Foat Wuth in the 80s there were still juke joints where you could here great blues all the time.

Not all the Motown players were white. I did a recording session with James jamerson who played bass on most of the 60 Motown hits. he invented thump bass playing (or so he told me)... The story goes like this...

I heard him thumpin' when I was setting up the mics, it was a new thing then. I said to him "I had Carol Kaye in here last week, she was also thumpin' but you're really good at it." He replied, "Thanks, I invented it. But Carol's good, too."

Carol had played the Barney Miller Theme which features a bass, but now that I Google it I see a lot of people saying someone else played it. I guess there was more than one version. But if you look up James Jamerson you will see he played on a TON of hit records. And I was a bass player myself, obviously in awe.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Paul...you should rent the DVD Standing In The Shadows of Motown:-D which tells the story of the Funk Brothers..when Barry Gordy up and moved to LAX, most of them stayed behind in Detroit

good question about why the draft in the 50's...I suspect because the Cold War was in full force at that time, might have been a factor, but maybe he just enlisted..have to do some research

during the 50's New Orleans actually was the recording captial of the world for R&B...Fats Domino, Alan Touissant, Ernie Koe-Dee (Mother-In-Law) were turning out the hits

ask Little Richard how much he loved Pat Boone (Tutti-Frutti)

it's funny, many of the British Invasion groups during the 60's gave public credit (but never any $$$) to the American Black artist (Rolling Stones were big on the Delta Blues artist, Muddy Waters etc) and many of the artist travel to Europe to be opening acts for them...in France every year there is a huge summer jazz concert devoted to New Orleans music

Paul, next time you are in new orleans let me know, my running partner is the musical director for Irma Thomas so I'll see if I can arrange an introduction
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Admiral

In 2007 I attended a jazz festival in Kemah ,Texas . I've had the pleasure of listening to jazz in New Orleans and in NY

Many ,many years ago a cousin of mine was a member of the Sauter-Finnegan jazz quartet .
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Admiral

I did not know that Norway has a very strong Jazz community and a special relationship with New Orleans Jazz until I happen to stumble upon a Seaman's Church of Norway right in smack in the middle of the French Quarter a few years back

Jazz is such a universal ambassador
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you Venice - very kind of you!

Yes, jazz caught on in Europe and actually kept it alive for many years when it waned in America somewhat.

Keep in mind Europeans have a tradition of playing more conventional instruments like clarinet, trumpet, piano, etc, from their classical music days, so the progression to dixieland came naturally. While here in America we migrated to instruments people could make with their hands like banjos, box guitars and washbasin basses.

Country music re-invented the "fiddle" and although it is huge in country music it has never caught on in rock.

I believe I have seen the "Funk Brothers" documentary someplace. It sounds familiar.

Of course the most famous early American recording studio was Sun Sound on Beale Street in Memphis owned by Sam Phillips. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins who wrote a lot of songs the beatles covered.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Hi Venice :

Sorry for posting this here but I could not find the thread that you posted re the japanese interned in 1942.My history teacher daughter said it was solely because of race .Coincidentally a friend of mine who is a film maker in Los Angeles told me that a play is opening this week on this very subject called No No Boy starring Gedde Wantanabe
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Admiral

March 29 :

The Great Pearl Bailey born in 1918

Vangelis born in 1943
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

last night after watching the NCAA tournament i was bored and was channel surfing when I came across an old PBS interview with Eartha Kitt,,did not know that she was that multi talented (most of us associate her with Catwoman)

Henry, thanks for the heads up on the upcoming play, would love to see that, the thread about the camps is probably about 3 weeks old, but I am sure it will resurface again

Paul..did you ever see the movie about Chess Records out of Chicago ? Jerry Lee Lewis performed at Jazz Fest the year he was featured on the official poster..some say, when they were both starting out, Jerry was better then his cousin Elvis..they both like those underage girls
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Admiral

March 30:

Sonny Boy Williamson born in 1914

Graeme Edge (The Moody Blues) born in 1944

Eric Clapton is 65 today

Jim Dandy (Black Oak Arkansas) born in 1948

Save Ball (Procol Harum) born in 1948

Simon and Garfunkel make their first New York appearance at Gerde's Folk City in 1964
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Admiral

March 31:

Shirley Jones born in 1934

Herb Alpert born in 1935

Thijs Van Leer (Focus) born in 1948

Mick Ralphs (Bad Company) born in 1948

Richard Hughes (The Johnny Winter Band) born in 1950

Jimi Hendrix burns his guitar for the first time on stage-1967
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I saw a great thing on television about Hendrix burning his guitar at Monteray. The thing was this - Hendrix was the hot new act at the time and he was scheduled to play on the last day. But so were the Who, and at the time the Who already had a reputation for destrouying their equipment on stage, so Hendrix didn't want to follw them.

So, he went to Pete Townshend, who has admitted he was never really much of a "lead guitar" player and he said, "Listen Pete, do you really want to follow ME?" (as in "I'm the world's greatest.") and Pete said "Yeah, I do." So, after a staredown, Jimi said, screw it, we'll flip for it, call it." and Hendrix won. The who went on first, did not destroy their equipment and so Hendrix decided HE would do it instead. But instead of bashing it to bits, he burned his Fender Stratocaster in more of a ritual sacrifice. It was one of the great moments from the Monteray Pop Festival.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Admiral

I wish that I would have had the opportunity to see Hendrix .He was the great guitar master
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
Admiral

April 1:

Debbie Reynolds born in 1932

Rudolph Isley born in 1939

Ronnie Lane (Small Faces) born in 1946

Arthur Conley born in 1946

David Bowie's first single ,Anything You Say released in 1966

Jimi Hendrix's -Are You Experienced released in 1966
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I left late Saturday night at Woodstock before Hendrix came on early Sunday morning

I wonder how he would be accepted if he were performing today:eek::eek:..Prince & Hendrix hooking up would be awesome
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Prince ,Hendrix and Sly Stone ,now thats a trio .

I went to a Hippiefest concert last summer and saw :Country Joe McDonald ,Melanie ,John Sebastian and several others from the original woodstock .
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Santana was AWESOME as was Sly and the Family Stone

ahhh the summer of love 1969..great time to be 18 on my way to college