Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs Share cruise trivia or jokes: Registered Users Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Cruiser stereotypes - please identify

You know, just like in high school where you had the jocks, the nerds, the fashion victims, the stoners and the do-gooder tattle-tales, what are some of the typical cruise personalities:

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The guy, with the shirt unbuttoned down to there, with gold chains around his neck..the 70's called and they want this disco man back

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Default 1-3

1)The "know it all " who has cruised to every port and her or his word is gospel.

2) The "henpecked" spouse

3)The its all about me person
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

1. The know-it-all: Will tell you everything you never wanted to know about cruising, their cruises, their friends cruises and the cruises of people they have never met. These people will usually tell what a great deal they got on their cruise and that you paid too much. Even when they had no idea what you paid.

2. The Entitled: They have made Diamond, Platinum, Elite or other past passenger status by taking multiple three day cruises in an inside cabin and never spending more than $100 onboard. They now feel they must be treated like cruise line royalty. Usually dropping the Captains name multiple times in any conversation even though the Captain has no idea who they are. They also feel that suite passengers have too many amenities and the regular passengers are the "riff raff".

3. Regulars: (The largest group) These people are just there to enjoy themselves and take what comes. Don't become too worried about little problems but just want to take what happens and go with it. These folks usually wear the appropriate attire for dinner but don't freak out if someone is not. They also spent some time researching their trip and understand what they will get on their cruise.

4. The "It's all wonderful": A version of the Regulars but taken to the extreme. They will put up with anything because they didn't have to cook the food, clean the cabin or make their bed. Usually refer to sewage in their cabin, no air conditioning and burnt food as small problems. Actually they are six months from a nervous breakdown.

5: The "It Sucks": The direct opposite of the "It's all wonderfuls". These people are thrown into tizzy and will often demand compensation if they don't get a chocolate on their pillow: Have to wait more than five minutes in a tender line: If their lobster is not a full Maine lobster and if their cabin steward only gives them a towel animal on five of seven nights. They are inclined to find an onboard lawyer and start class-action suits if the ship misses a port because it is being hit by a hurricane. These people also have a fit if their table mate wears a jacket without a tie. These people are about six months from a major heart attack.

I'm just wondering where I fit in there. I know I've been in more than one category at one time or another.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Great answers all, especially Mike.

I like #5, the "It Sucks" - I have met these people, there are the ones who had one bad thing happen at the beginning of the cruise and they are now on the warpath to find every little thing they possibly can to criticize about the ship and the cruise line for the rest of the voyage.

"And did you notice how the waiters are all acting like they are mad about something?"

"And my steak was tough, I had to send it back"

"I found a pubic hair in our bathroom and sock in one of our drawers!"

I have seen people ruin their own entire cruises working this simple little exercise. I am always tempted to tell them, "you know, you paid to be here, and not enjoying it now is not going to get you a refund later. I suggest you stop criticizing and start enjoying."

When I do say that they always reply, "oh, we know, we're just saying, you know..."

No one brought up the "Party Animals" - I think you find at least a few of these on most cruises - bucket of beer by the pool, sunglasses, putting on suntan lotion every 15 minutes, joking with the bartender about the women he sees on board.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I really like Mike's as well.

There are sub groups by activity, but I guess they could/would still fall into Mike's overall five categories. You have the gamblers, the drunks, the disco crowd, the spa folks, the spinners (exercisers), the foodies, the sun worshipers, et al. Then we have sub groups by age.

Sooooooo.....We could make a classification of type of cruiser by taking one from column A, B & C. ie. an old drunk know-it-all.

Hopefully on most days I'm a middle age, regular, foodie. But who knows.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Admiral

From the UK point of view similar to "the entitled" we call them "the P&O Bags" usually quite old with loads of make up & a wizened weasle like husband trailing around behind her. They generally say things like "but I ALWAYS sit here". One tried pushing into a queue boarding the ship, quite rude too until my wife said ''the queue starts back there, can't you see the sign?'' she said "I can see it very well'' all haughty... still didn't move so at this point I chimed in & said OK can you not read or just f***** stupid.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
From the UK point of view similar to "the entitled" we call them "the P&O Bags" usually quite old with loads of make up & a wizened weasle like husband trailing around behind her. They generally say things like "but I ALWAYS sit here". One tried pushing into a queue boarding the ship, quite rude too until my wife said ''the queue starts back there, can't you see the sign?'' she said "I can see it very well'' all haughty... still didn't move so at this point I chimed in & said OK can you not read or just f***** stupid.
Sounds like Hyacinth Bucket.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Exactly!! (Boo-kay do you mind!!)
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

There is also the passenger who wants everything to be perfect .They will return every bit of food ,never satisfied and will send their wait staff into a tizzy .
Old October 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Mind you I like things to be right, I love being invited to Captains parties & people knowing our names, I also like to help others who have cruised less or never & would hate to think they thought of me as a know all. Comparing what you paid can be educational for all too, bragging about how little is tiresome. Mentioning things that are wrong is not neccessarily just moaning either.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Can I just say that all people from the UK dont act in this manner and are not disrespectful to elderly people and use foul language in public when on the ship.
Some of us have more restraint and make allowances, points can be put across with resulting to abuse.

Last edited by Mike M; October 3rd, 2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Edited to remove personal attack
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Gingernut... the clue is in the title of the thread..."Just for laughs" you could try it.....
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Henry - the sending back of food...

I had a lady like that at a table with me on Celebrity. She treated her waiter like garbage and he had amazing patience. She sent back everything and always with a critical remark "this fish is a joke, its rubber." (think heavy Long Island accent).

On a cruise ship I will send something back if it is not to my liking, but I have a pretty wide tolerance level. I do know people who will send back almost anything.

I had a steak ($24 dinner) at a small neighborhodd restaurant a few nights ago. It was overcooked, but the owners are nice and probably barely eke out a living, so I didnt make a big deal.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Gingernut... the clue is in the title of the thread..."Just for laughs" you could try it.....
Sorry for being personal, but I didnt think it was funny.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Umm... just because one person says something I never ascribe the same attitude to everyone who happens to have the same nationality.

I have to laugh at the henpecked spouse (not that we all are not at least to some extent), but you see some guys where the wife is just in charge. Especially in St. Thomas where you see the poor guy walking behind his wife carrying all the bags of goodies she has purchased on her shopping trip and all she can say to him is things like "hurry up," and "be careful with that, do you know how much it cost?"

At the dinner table she was telling him what to order because she wants to try it, and then she makes a comment about his weight. At some point during dinner she turns to him and tells him everything he needs to do the next day, book a shore excursion, buy something in the gift shop, put out the breakfast cardů
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Paul, this sounds sadly familiar!! I trail around saying "yes dear", ''of course dear", hopefully at the right times...it's the shopping thing usually, I often get told to "SIT" & "STAY THERE" unfortunately seldom in a bar!! Mrs JTD was talking to her sainted mother on the phone, she said (about shopping it turned out) "oh he's ok about it as long as you feed him'' I thought she was talking about the dog, but it was getting me to help with the grocery shopping!
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I fear that we men are far too predictable. I am also well known for my response to a full stomach.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Default Classify this lady!

Manhattan couple booted from cruise over 'Jew slur' fight - NYPOST.com

Looks like a 'drunk - old - Entitled' to me.

Future Cruises:
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Admiral

The person who is well traveled but has something bad to say about everything.

I had breakfast this this person twice on one cruise. The second time we were also joined by her polar opposite. Made for a fun meal.
Passenger A: We went to port X but it was pouring down rain. We couldn't get off the ship.
Passenger B: That's why we always pack an umbrella. That way a little rain doesn't slow us down.

I liked passenger B.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014