CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/)
-   -   Who are you calling Pop? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/384066-who-you-calling-pop.html)

green_rd August 1st, 2011 09:15 PM

Who are you calling Pop?

How do you refer to soft drinks in a generic way? Fill in the blank:

Do you want a _________? I've got Coke, Sprite, Diet Pepsi and root beer.

The answer seems to have a lot of regional variation. So what is your answer and where are you from?

Manuel August 1st, 2011 09:33 PM

Sometimes we order Seltzer water ( in Ct. ), but in some Southern states they call it soda water.

TM

Lakers Fan August 1st, 2011 10:46 PM

I call it soda

Mike M August 1st, 2011 10:53 PM

Pop

Soda is becoming a bit more common in this part of the country (Minnesota) but those two are about it. Ask for something else and you'll get a strange look or something you didn't want.

When I first moved to Alabama I remember asking for a Coke at a fast food restaurant. The person behind the counter counters with: "What kind of Coke do you want?" I said. "A Coke". Reply: "You want Coke,Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper". :)

Take care,
Mike

Manuel August 1st, 2011 10:56 PM

Can you still ask for a Coca Cola?

TM

Lakers Fan August 1st, 2011 11:19 PM

I've been to places in the USA where I've asked for a 7 UP and received blank stares .

fun2cruiz August 2nd, 2011 12:06 AM

majority of southerns will ask for a "coke"...... when I hear someone ask for a "pop"...or "soda"..... we just ask them what type.

OldFartCruiser August 2nd, 2011 09:17 AM

Back to the Future

Remember "Back to the Future"
Marty" - "I'll have a Pepsi Free."
Soda Guy - "Nothing's free around here, buddy.

Years ago when I lived in Boston sodas were called tonic. Don't know if that is used much back there today.

OF C'er

Rev22:17 August 2nd, 2011 04:51 PM

OF C'er,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1384727)
Years ago when I lived in Boston sodas were called tonic. Don't know if that is used much back there today.

Yes, has not changed. What anybody else calls "soda" or "pop" is still "tonic" in eastern Massachusetts.

Also, in eastern Massachusetts, a "milkshake" contains only milk and syrup. If you add ice cream to it, it's called a "frappe" (pronounced "frap").

Norm.

Manuel August 2nd, 2011 07:46 PM

This is getting complicated, it might be easier to order a beer.

TM

OldFartCruiser August 2nd, 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1384833)
OF C'er,
Also, in eastern Massachusetts, a "milkshake" contains only milk and syrup. If you add ice cream to it, it's called a "frappe" (pronounced "frap").

Norm.

Norm,
A frappe is milk, syrup & ice cream all mix together. Milk and syrup mixed w/ a scoop of ice cream on top is a float.

I was a soda jerk in Boston when I was a teen (lost teen job) back when drug stores had soda fountains.

OF C'er

green_rd August 3rd, 2011 10:07 AM

I kind of remember that formulation. Remember phosphates - as a beverage not in our laundry soap.