CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/)
-   -   Accents and where you're from (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/387782-accents-where-youre.html)

Surfguyxxx1 February 18th, 2012 07:51 PM

Accents and where you're from

I apologize for the interupted thread. I inadvertently hit enter before I was finished.

What I was going to ask was :

This is very interesting... What part of and where in our country is your accent from?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl3/american-accent-quiz.html

Trip February 18th, 2012 08:52 PM

My Bawston accent seems to be readily identifiable, wherever I go. I don't get it though! lol

Lakers Fan February 18th, 2012 08:54 PM

Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1416170)
My Bawston accent seems to be readily identifiable, wherever I go. I don't get it though! lol

I speak fluent Brooklynese

KDGodwin February 19th, 2012 03:02 AM

The Quiz said I talk like "The West". Very accurate!! :)

Mike M February 19th, 2012 07:42 AM

I find this insulting. ;);):o:o The thing said that I was from "Chicago" or "Wisconsin". I'm a good Minnesotan.

It was interesting.

Take care,
Mike

Sistersolo February 19th, 2012 11:08 AM

I was REALLY curious about this one. I was born in Florida, but never really lived there. We lived in southern California through the first half of my elementary school years, and in New Jersey for the rest. I spent four years in college in Georgia, and most of my adult life in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Most people place my accent "somewhere in the Midwest".

The quiz said Philadelphia. Sounds about right to me.

Lakers Fan February 19th, 2012 04:17 PM

I was deemed Philadelphia as well ,you spoke to me Sister Solo ,what do you think ?

Trip February 19th, 2012 04:24 PM

Exactly what I said in my post, has been verified!!! OY ....lol

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

green_rd February 19th, 2012 05:07 PM

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm Central Indiana born and bred, though I spent 10 years in FL.

It also offered me a quiz on How Hoosier Are You?

Moiraine February 19th, 2012 05:43 PM

They told me I had a Midland voice. The South came in second.

This test did not quite work for me. The South did come in second...but if you ever spoke to me there would be no mistaking where I'm from.

Hpine1 February 19th, 2012 05:52 PM

They told me i was North Central. LOL I am from New England. Rhode Island.

Trip February 19th, 2012 06:19 PM

There are regional word/phrases that aet you arpart as well.

cupboard or cabinet?

In R.I. our frappe is acalled a cabinet

Drag or drug?

tonic, soda or pop?

stove or range?

rotary or roundabout

elastic or rubber band?

water fountain or bubbler? I would say bubblah:)

supper or dinner

I'm sure there are many more:)

Manuel February 19th, 2012 09:09 PM

I am not sure what kind of accent I have, but now that I live in Florida, it might change.

TM

Trip February 19th, 2012 09:12 PM

Manuel, unless you start adding y'all to your conversations, at this stage of the game, it is what it is;)

Lakers Fan February 19th, 2012 09:19 PM

Y'all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1416341)
Manuel, unless you start adding y'all to your conversations, at this stage of the game, it is what it is;)

In 1999 I reconnected with a school friend living in Texas .Every sentence began with y'all .His Brooklyn accent was gone.

Trip February 19th, 2012 09:29 PM

fagedaboudit y'all!

Lakers Fan February 19th, 2012 10:18 PM

I've posted this before but it bears repeating . A friend of mine was born and raised in NY . He has been living and working in a very small town in Georgia the past 47 years teaching highschool English with his NY accent .

Trip February 19th, 2012 10:31 PM

You proved my point then:)

skymaster February 20th, 2012 10:45 AM

The quiz "nailed" me. It said I was "Midland" first, and from the South second. I was born, and lived in Central Indiana until I was 18, then lived all over the world in the military. I've lived in the South (Florida) for the last 40 years, and have been told again, and again that I should be a radio announcer. (Maybe they mean that I have a "FACE" for radio?) :rolleyes:

"SKY"

Lakers Fan February 20th, 2012 10:58 AM

hmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1416323)
There are regional word/phrases that aet you arpart as well.

cupboard or cabinet?

In R.I. our frappe is acalled a cabinet

Drag or drug?

tonic, soda or pop? soda

stove or range? stove

rotary or roundabout

elastic or rubber band?rubber band

water fountain or bubbler? I would say bubblah:)water fountain

supper or dinner dinner

I'm sure there are many more:)

Very interesting

Will February 20th, 2012 02:22 PM

Pretty good test....it was accurate about me!

yamaha dancer March 2nd, 2012 02:16 AM

Where is Idaho?

Thanks, enjoyed "the test". Like many of the people I have met in my travels (been to all 50 states and several countries) the test must think Idaho is near Iowa! Midland was it's guess on my accent.

ednotmilkman March 2nd, 2012 10:20 AM

reporting in from Ailabamma

no suprise hee-ur, other than I thought I'd have ta gee-ut out my mike-rah-phone to do the test.

who says Mary and marry different ?

Moiraine March 3rd, 2012 08:06 PM

Well, I certainly don't. :mrgreen:

OldFartCruiser March 3rd, 2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1416298)

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

Wrong
A true Boston access is within the city limits, maybe as far as some parts of rte. 128, but no further. Outside that area it is a New England accent.

From someone who grew up in the city.

O F C'er

earl April 9th, 2012 05:56 PM

French Canadian accent,,EH Quoi !!

snorklr45 April 9th, 2012 09:36 PM

My results:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Mine showed heavier emphasis on the south and a close second was Pennsylvania. That makes sense considering 6 of my formative years were spent on the north east coast (as a yankee!). hee hee