CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/)
-   -   The meaning of bodunk! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-jokes-trivia-just-laughs/388790-meaning-bodunk.html)

iconic April 12th, 2012 11:30 AM

The meaning of bodunk!
 
I recently saw the word "bodunk" appear in a cruisemate email. The sentence read: "That's all bodunk!"

Being curious I checked the an online dictionery, and got the following response concerning the definition of "bodunk" from the Merriam webster dictionery. "The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above." I did and I got the word "podunk." I must say I was taken aback. A word that doesn't exist. A misspelling possibly podunk seemed to be the closest spelling I could find on the online dictionery.

I next checked what I consider a very unscholary and poor source for word definitions: the Urban Dictionery. The reason I feel this way is that the definitions are contributed by people who can then put whatever meaning on the words that they want. The definitions i got follow.

Definition 1. Defining any hick place, town, or location in rural America. Also an adjective used to describe anything shoddy and cheap.
by jaljcoki Mar 30, 2006

Definition 2. A really ****** or stupid place or thing.

That is one bodunk little town.
by Mo. Joe Apr 21, 2005

I noted that they are very dated. Does anyone know if there is an up-to-date meaning for the word bodunk.

Snoozeman April 12th, 2012 12:02 PM

What a bodunk...may look like....

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...IbSClgTxEKjskf

green_rd April 12th, 2012 01:06 PM

I like Snoozeman's Bo Dunk - I am not familiar with bodunk either but I recognize the definition of podunk, Often this means any place smaller than the place you lived. I grew up in a town of about 12K people - we thought the smaller towns around were podunk.

Doug S April 12th, 2012 02:41 PM

My only thought was a short version of Badonkadonk (from the Trace Atkins song). That kinda goes along with Snoozeman's Bo Dunk theory :-D...

Lakers Fan April 12th, 2012 03:04 PM

Could it be Bo Diddley's long lost cousin ?

Manuel April 12th, 2012 05:14 PM

Sounds like a lot ob bodunk to me. LOL

TM

Marsdude April 13th, 2012 10:13 AM

I think Snoozeman's bodunk explanation deserves a through investigation! ;)

iconic April 13th, 2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1424670)

The juxtaposition of the photograph of the salacious, sopping wet Bo Derick and the word "dunk" as a definitiion for "bodunk" demonstrates the workings of the mind of a person with mental agility and creativity, sharp mental abilities, highly capable mental abilities, dexterous, having a pleasant disposition and personality. The definition is acceptable to every red-blooded American male cruisemate including me.

PS Your work and mental endeavor: is very much appreciated.

skymaster April 13th, 2012 02:45 PM

During my time in the Marine Corps, I heard the work "bodunk" used quite a lot, and it was usually in reference to a small, backward town, or village. I don't think I've ever heard it since, however. I too, like Snoozes "Bo Derek" definition far better. :-D

"SKY"

Phil&Liz April 13th, 2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iconic (Post 1424846)
The juxtaposition of the photograph of the salacious, sopping wet Bo Derick and the word "dunk" as a definitiion for "bodunk" demonstrates the workings of the mind of a person with mental agility and creativity, sharp mental abilities, highly capable mental abilities, dexterous, having a pleasant disposition and personality. The definition is acceptable to every red-blooded American male cruisemate including me.

PS Your work and mental endeavor: is very much appreciated.

Ohh great! Ray's gonna need a bigger hat now!

Snoozeman April 13th, 2012 09:22 PM

I thought he described me pretty well.............rofl

Pretty sure the original guy meant podunk ;)

iconic April 14th, 2012 10:38 AM

Clarification
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1424885)
I thought he described me pretty well.............rofl Iconic comment: I agree with you "if the shoe fits..." of course in this case "it could be hat."

Pretty sure the original guy meant podunk ;)

For clarification here is a copy of email text that started inquiry. You can decide if "podunk" was what he meant.

That's all bodunk! Neither group leaders nor travel agents are paid any commissions for ANY onboard spending. Travel agents are paid commissions only on the cruise FARE.

Also, not all the cruise lines use coupon books.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
Cruisemates Blog Kuki

Snoozeman April 14th, 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iconic (Post 1424956)
For clarification here is a copy of email text that started inquiry. You can decide if "podunk" was what he meant.

That's all bodunk! Neither group leaders nor travel agents are paid any commissions for ANY onboard spending. Travel agents are paid commissions only on the cruise FARE.

Also, not all the cruise lines use coupon books.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
Cruisemates Blog Kuki

Your right that doesn't seem to be a podunk reference....must be a Canadian thing if Kuki said it. Perhaps like bollocks.

iconic April 17th, 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1424969)
Your right that doesn't seem to be a podunk reference....must be a Canadian thing if Kuki said it. Perhaps like bollocks.

I checked on the word: bollocks And again you reflect your mental agility and preciseness with words and their meaning. Many American spell it with a "U" so that it comes out "bullocks." I guess the English would say this is an American thing.

Bully for you (A way of saying "Good for you!")
Keep up the good work.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1