Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > CruiseMates Group Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

CruiseMates Group Cruises Details about CruiseMates Group Cruises- Share the fun and anticipation with other CruiseMates sailing on them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Cruisemates Cruise on the Pride

, I am actually relishing the slow time ... I love doing everything for the holidays. Yesterday, we shopped for a couple hours for the two families we "adopted" for the holidays through a local group here.

Carnival has shore info posted on line, but no booking on line. Note: There are two tours that go to the colonial villages -- one is marked I think Concordia, while the other is Sierra Madre. The Sierra Madre is ALL-DAY -- 7 hours, and is just way too long for me. You also see basically the same stuff.

The good news on booking is that the Spirit (and I assume its sister, the newer Pride) allow you to book your excursions through the TV. It was very easy. Furthermore, they allow you to check your "folio" AKA the dreaded bill throughout the cruise, so you always know what you're up to. This also worked out great because we got half-off the excursion we took in Acapulco 'cause it was so messed up.

Finally, I just completed our online booking info, so we should have the much-anticipated Fun Ship Pass in our docs when they arrive.

Harry
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM
911Marci

Hi Everyone!

Harry, you are just too organized!!! I just did my online check in tonight....what a breeze!!!

Like you all, I can hardly wait for this cruise to start!!! I have a sign on the cabinet in the kitchen which reads how many more days to go!!!! I mark it off every day....

I am already planning what to take.....and hoping that the weather will be nice, and not too humid!!!!

I have found one more couple that is going to be cruising with the Pride, however, they are not in our group. Wonder where the other 3-5 "CRUISEMATES" are?????

It is cold and rainy here tonight....so nice to think about tropical Mexico and going for a nice long "BOAT" ride!!!!

Talk to you all later...

Marci/911 Chick
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:32 AM
SharB

Good Morning, Marci!
Good to hear from you. Yesterday (here in the upper Mojave desert) it was almost too warm. Definitely warmer than any December I can remember. Today we've cooled down but we've still got the sunlight! I'm doing the same type count-down with my calendar. I've also marked the location of the cruisemates' cabins. Is there such a thing as too much planning? :o)

Shar
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Not in my book! Gotta do the same with my deck plan (by the way, those without a brochure can email a request through the carnival site, and they will mail you one. I always find it's great to have a read-able deck plan, especially if it's a new ship for me.

The weather should be great ... the beginning of the high season is November, so we should be fine. It's October when the humid weather starts tapering off. On CNN.com, you can get a 10 day forecast.

Got the Christmas cards done yesterday, so I just need to finish the tree this afternoon after I get done with the bit fo work I have to do.

Oh, and FYI on TV, a friend who just sailed the Pride emailed me this info:

"On the Pride it seemed there are more TV stations and shows on. News
even. The View was on. Jay Leno and a couple of other host shows like
that ...I was surprised. I remember on the Elation I think it was in 98
they played the same movies over and over and no news or other TV shows
on. On the pride it seemed to be selected shows were on. I was
pleased. It was more like tv then a rerun thing all the time."

Better get dressed for work now.

Harry
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:15 PM
SharB

Hi Harry!
Gee, it's too bad that my stupid works gets in the way of my card writing etc.

What? Only ONE Christmas tree?

I'm gonna try to dig my tree out of the garage. It's a 7 1/2 footer and takes a whole evening to put it together. This will work if my DG (darling-dog) doesn't run off with the branches!

I keep pulling my brochure out to try and memorize the deck plans. Gotta put it away and get my holiday stuff done.

Our choir did our Christmas concert yesterday to rave reviews. We recorded it and I'm going to be brave and listen to it. Got to find out if we were as good as we thought.
:o)

Shar
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Yep, think it's gonan be just one tree this year. I think last year we seemed to have more pre-Chistmas days (was T-giving early or something). I just feel a bit more rushed this year to get all the traditional stuff completed.

But the tree is gorgeous ...my neighbor is a florist, and she came up to the house last night and helped arrange the ribbon garland. I am gonna post a photo gallery probably this afternoon.

By the way, the Pride should be an easy ship to get around on ... the only area I found a little confusing was the buffet restaurant, because there are so many stations, and some are not visible till you walk around the other side of the wall. But hey, that's beause there are so many choices.

Also, whenever you hit a portal area (meaning near an elevator bank) there are signs over the hallways telling you what public areas you will find in that direction -- makes it quite easy to find your way about if you use 'em (none of that trying to decipher those cruise cutaway maps at the elevators on other cruiselines)

Better get dressed for work now.

Harry
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Yeoman

Hey guys and gals, just got back from the Monarch this past Friday. Catching up on some of the latests posts. It really sounds like we're going to have a blast. We have no more cruises planned until the Pride. I can't wait.

Harry, I keep seeing your name all over Cruisemates. You seem to have a lot to say and say it well. Can't wait to me you and Art. SharB and Marci, its nice you see your posts here also. We may not be the biggest Cruisemates Cruise but we're the most active on this board.
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM
SharB

Hi Cruiseguy!
Just wait until we have more time after the holidays! :o)
I've been reading posts from others who will be on our cruise, but not with reservations through Ginny. At least one person is a "cruise virgin" who has been corresponding with Marci. I've directed them (off-line) to our web site, since they were posting on another cruise web.

Shar
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Oh cool -- more people.

We are indeed the chattier bunch, compared to the mute Spirit people ;-)

Harry
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Harry... they're not mute, just whoever has the remote control hit the mute button.

You all have the makings of a GREAT group though.... too bad I wasn't sailing along.

If you guys find others on the Net who are also on the ship you should make sure to include them in your get together. The more the merrier!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:34 PM
SharB

Kuki:
I was wondering if that would be OK. I know they'll like to meet us.

Shar
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Shar.. OF COURSE it's OK. We try to do "collect" Internet folks on all group cruises, regardless of if they've booked with the group. More people- more fun!

The only thing they wouldn't be able to be included in is the complimentary cocktail party.

Tell em to jump into this thread, to meet the rest of the gang, and enjoy the pre cruise excitement!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Kuki, thanks for the joke. :-)

Honestly, the "chat" part makes the cruise even more enjoyable -- more bang for the buck in my opinion.

And if you all wanna peek into our house at the holidays, see the photo galleries ... should be near the top.

Harry
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:18 PM
SharB

Great shots, Harry! My house looks like just the opposite, except for the green back yard. Lots of ornament boxes and unwritten Christmas cards. :o)
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Yeoman

Hey guys and gals again, I don't hardly believe it but I just booked another cat.11 (corner room # 6260) on the Pride leaving Nov. 21, 2004 (Thanksgiving). Anyone up for this one? Think about it girls, no cooking or cleanup and the guys can watch football all day.
Old December 11th, 2003, 03:26 AM
911Marci

CruiseGuy:

Wow, another winter cruise sounds tempting....am either thinking of going to Paris and Ireland next winter, or maybe cruise on one of RCCL mega ships....have never been on one....has anyone??? I don't ice skate, or climb rock walls, but wonder if I would like one of these huge, fancy ships...

Am kind of interested to see what ship Princess is going to put in L.A.---didn't get to sail the Star before it was moved....I loved my past experineces on Princess....

It's hard for me to travel over the holidays, as the Jail never closes---job security , I guess(!) and getting time off is a bear.....

Shar, did you talk to Chris from Las Vegas? She was on that other board....but no one else has spoken up......

Have a good day!

Marci/911 Chick
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:23 AM
SharB

Hi Marci!
Yes, Chris e-mailed me and I invited her to join in on this string. She may be lurking (come out, Chris!!)

Gee, I didn't know the Star was being moved. She is definitely one of the best afloat!

Cruiseguy:
That cruise sounds like a great idea. If I can afford it, I'm always going to go for an aft cabin. It looks like Pride and her sisters are the only Carnival ships with aft balconies. My dream would be to get the aft mini suite on Dawn again. What a room!!! Unfortunately, it took three of us to pay for it :o(. Hopefully, the next couple of cruises we do will be on Princess. I need to get my status up to Platinum (worth it or not)...

Shar
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Shar, the new Diamond is doing Mex Riviera for Princess now, but rates are on teh high side right now 'cause it's newer ... I am spying her for next fall, though

Harry
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Hey all, there is a new photo gallery up of the Pride, with some good detail shots. (I also liked that she showed how the terminal was connected to the ship)

Check it out.

Harry
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
SharB

That's a nice set a pictures. Gee, I sure hope it's not raining that day, since the walkway isn't covered. Oops, splash!
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to HiramC

Wow those are some great pics! I'm one of those "lurking" internet folks. My wife and I will be making our first cruise with y'ou all. Time to go shopping!! Definately need some
new luggage and a few clothes never hurts. Thanks again Shar...you've been the
biggest help! Decided to spend the night in LB instead of driving down early

Hiram
cruise virgin
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:20 PM
SharB

Would any of you be interested in using Tourguide Frank's offer while in Mazatlan? I found another one of his posts on a different web site and the price is very reasonable for a full or partial day - assuming the cost was split. If I had ever been around the area before, I might be interested in renting the van for just Capt Ron and myself...but those stories of guerilla road blocks etc. make me nervous. Any takers or suggestions?

Shar
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:29 PM
SharB

Hi Hiram! (we must of posted at the same time)
Glad to see you here! That's wonderful news about you two staying over night. You won't be sorry. If you've read any of the cruise horror stories about people missing their ship - you'd never want to take the chance. In case you didn't see posting regarding early check in, you can go over to the Queen Mary and check in that morning. I'm guessing that there's some way for them to store your carry-ons. We're planning on taking the Queen Mary tour after we check in. That will help pass some time before we head over to the Pride.

I don't know if any of you have been on Queen Mary before - I went on her back before she became a hotel. I was walking up the plank onto the deck and I saw some sort of a kiosk for paying a fee. I also noticed a door for employee's only, looked into the port hole and saw no one and (just kinda) slipped in! I found myself in some sort of machine room with lots of low hanging pipes, ducked under and ended up in a hall way. At that point, I walked along like I knew where I was going and a few steward-types just nodded and said hi. :o) those were the days!
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Shar, you little devil you! We went to a dinner at the Queen Mary last year, so already did the tour. What's amazing is how small it is compared to the ships nowadays.

Guess what folks? Just booked a cruise for jan 5th on the Monarch of the Seas for 4 nights from LA to San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. Got an inside cabin (with port) for $149!!!

We leave Monday Jan 5th, then back that Friday. At that rate, it was too cheap to pass up. I also pegged a handicap inside room, which looks to be about two times as large. This is gonna be Art's Christmnas present surprise. (Outside cabins were $199, but I thought the $50 savings covered tips, and we do have the balcony Feb. 1.

This should be a fun one, too, especially 'cause we have never been on teh Monarch, and it was just refurbished.

Harry
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:41 PM
SharB

Wow! Speaking of the devil. Harry, that sounds great! Our Christmas presents have already been bought and I'm still trying to get a loan to cover the three kids' wish lists
:o)

You're definitely working toward Cruiseaddict's record. Have a wonderful time! I can't think of a better way to start the New Year!

Shar
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Admiral

For the last 3 years, I'cve tried to book a January cruise to get over the post-holiday blahs. I just luckily happened on the fare when I got home from our REMAX Christmas party and was blwooing time till I fell asleep. Of course, the Internet was not cooperating, but I finally got the cruise booked at 3 a.m. (they really do have people on 24 hours a day!)

I checked the next afternoon, and all the inside cabins were gone and they had *one* outside left at the $199. Shows sometimes you gotta jump -- especially when they fall below $200.

By the way Shar, yes they do have a place to stash your carry-ons on the Queen Mary ... read that elsewhere.

Harry
Old December 13th, 2003, 03:53 PM
SharB

I found it. Thanks, Harry!
Old December 13th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to HiramC

Howdy all,

I finally pulled out my brochure to see where everyones cabin is. I sure wish I knew
that aft cabins were so great We are in #8162. Hope everyone is enjoying their
weekend.

Hiram
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:40 AM
SharB

Hi Hiram!
Wow! It looks like you got an excellent location with an extended balcony. Not too shabby! You'll have to come aft and see what it's like watching the wake. Be sure to give us a call when you get on board! We're so much lower down and will be closer to the whales! :o) - which reminds me...

We were on an Alaskan cruise on the Dawn Princess and had one of her marvelous aft mini-suites. My sis-in-law was sharing the room with us and was out hanging over the balcony as we entered Glacier Bay. As luck would have it, a whale surfaced and spouted just a short distance away. She screamed: "A whale just growled at me!"
She wasn't real happy that we thought she was being funny...oh, well (or is it whale?)

Shar
Old December 15th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to vegaschris
Default Re: Re: Cruisemates Cruise on the Pride

yes here i am finally
love the posts, tool me forever to find the right spot. Please please include me and hubby in as we are virgin cruisers and need all the help we can get. Love all of your posts, keep it up very interesting. Would love ot meet everyone. Am staying at Coast Hotel night before, driving from vegas.
see you soon