Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > CruiseMates Group Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

CruiseMates Group Cruises Details about CruiseMates Group Cruises- Share the fun and anticipation with other CruiseMates sailing on them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to HiramC
Default Re: Getting Near! Last Minute Pride Cruisemates Posts

Okay... a few last minute stupid questions:

dockers and polo shirt are fine for the dining room I've heard. Are tennis shoes okay? I don't own any other casual shoes.

Whats a good time to check in? Is 10am at the queen mary too early??

Our plans for Saturday got cancelled, so if anyone wants to get together, let
me know.

Here are the latest 10-day forcasts. Looks like we might just miss the rain in PV.

Puerto Vallarta
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...m=search_10day

Mazatlan

Cabo

Okay...better get back to work. Can't wait to get out of here!

Hiram
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
SharB

Hi Hiram! I've attached my responses to your questions.

Okay... a few last minute stupid questions:

OK, You know the drill...no such thing as a...

dockers and polo shirt are fine for the dining room I've heard. Are tennis shoes okay? I don't own any other casual shoes.

Except for the two formal nights, dockers and polo shirt are fine. Tennis shoes are also OK for the casual nights. You'll need to plan on eating in one of the other restaurants for the formal nights, eg. the Mermaid Buffet, pizza, or? (Harry can help with this)

Whats a good time to check in? Is 10am at the queen mary too early??

I would think 10am would be fine for checking in, just don't get there after 11ish.

We're not sure about meeting on Saturday, since we don't know how late we'll get into Long Beach. Please be sure to give us a call once you are settled into your room on Pride!!

Shar
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Shar, my stupid question ... what's the problem with getting there after 11'ish -- longer lines?

Badges look great Mike!

And Hiram -- thanks for the better weather links.

Argh -- stil working away and trying to squeeze cruise stuff in here and there.

Gimme that aft balcony!!!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Yeoman

Hiram, the badges came out better then I thought they would be, good job.

I just e-mailed Capt. Pete about the PV whale watching tour. Told hime we had six definates and a probable eight. Told him we would all have U.S. cash. Asked him to let me know ASAP how many more he has room for.

Hiram, Shar is right, Bonine is the best and non-drousy but remember, you take it to keep yourself from getting sick. If you take it WHEN your sick its to late. If I were you I would start taking it the 1st morning of the cruise and then every morning there after.

Also your questions about the main dinning room and your dress? Shar, again, is right on.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Yeoman

Just heard back from Capt. Pete. Assumming we have eight from our group going theres still room for seven more. Lets make this a Cruisemates tour and book the whole boat.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
SharB

Cruiseguy,
I'm only aware of six of us, you two, us two, and the Laris. Who else?
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:41 PM
SharB

Well..duh
All I had to do with look back at Harry's message regarding boarding. Oh well, the point was that they close down the early check in at Queen Mary at 11:30. Depending on the line, I'm guessing that could be an issue. All they'll do is send you back to the Pride to stand in another line. I'll opt to check at Queen Mary as early as possible.

Let me do some more checking...
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Shar, thanks for adding that ...

I just know me -- no early riser here and then breakfast.

I think we are just gonna get there when we do. I'm not gonna worry about it -- lines don't bother me.

Harry <--- who still has to do Art's clothes in the morning!

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Everyone like me -- stressed a bit??

I already prepped so much, but all the details to take care of in the next few days!

Art got the cash today, but we need to change into small bills for room service, etc. (FYI: Tipping is automatic on Carnival -- you don't need to bring that cash)

House payment is all set as an automatic, other bills set too.

I got my cruise book from Amazon, booze was bought today.

Just longing for that balcony!!!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Yeoman

Shar, unless I'm mixing up names, I think Hiram and his wife are thinking about going.

Hiram, can you confirm if your going on the whale watching with us in PV.

P.S. Got my tux today and it fits, look out gals, here I come.
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Getting Near! Last Minute Pride Cruisemates Posts

Hey Cruiseguy,

No, we have no plans for whale watching. I think we'll play it by ear since this
is our first time.

I'm still debating whether to put my diet on hold for a week or try to be good

Got my hair cut....got our cash. Sure wish we'd taken Friday off too!
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Passenger

Hi Again,

Harry… thanks for the info on the tips being automatic... I hope that doesn't affect the quality of service.

When I was reading the Welcome Aboard book, I noticed it in there too! Another thing that I noticed that the room steward or the purser desk can provide motion sickness pills but there is no mention if there is any charge for it. Does anyone know if they charge for it on board the ship?

HiramC, I can relate to the diet issue... it really sucks having to do something like that, especially on a cruise. I found out last year that I am a diabetic and have had to make some major adjustments to my diet but, while I am on the cruise, I am going to ignore most of the rules. Of course, I am going to do my best to not go too crazy but, if it is there, I will more than likely eat it, especially if I like it! Fortunately, it won't effect me too much in the short term... it's the long term adjustments that really count. Other than an occasional beer or mixed drink, we rarely drink either.

Besides the food restrictions, both my wife and I quit smoking 2 years ago and I will admit, I have never felt better. It was tough quitting but now; I am so glad that we succeeded.

Yikes... I almost sound like a dork with no life! Actually, I have lost interest in the fast paced party life... used to do that a lot when I was younger but, I don't recover from hangovers quite as easy now. My weakness is Pizza and Beer... I still love doing that but, now it is a rare treat!

Since we will be staying on the Queen Mary, I wonder if we will get preferential treatment regarding the check in process or do we have to wait in line like everyone else. I guess we will find out when we get there on Saturday.

I finally finished the door art but it wasn't easy... tough to be creative when I have so many other irons in the fire.

Mike
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to snowyowlone

Morning all,
Just trying to stay warm before we leave. Temps here in MN are -21degreesF and windchill is -40F. We live on a farm and when I went to fill the waters yesterday the hose broke in half. I can't wait for the warm weather!

Has anybody tried Meclizine HCI for motion sickness?
Both my daughter and Husband get motion sickness. We were told by our doc to use this for my daughter(11) because she does'nt like car rides. She feels better in the front seat. It works for her. We used it on our last cruise the first day, after that they did not need it. The motion did not bother them. The last two days we had rough seas and they still did not need it. You can get it from a pharmacy. Just ask for it. They told me that it has less drowsiness effect then some of the other meds.

The tips are on your s&s card. We checked them on the T.V. At the end of the cruise we tipped more to who we thought deserved it. You can keep track of your account on the T.V. there is a number on your S&S card that you type into the T.V. and it gives you your account for that trip.
We are staying on the Queen Mary too. I was wondering how we check in too. We fly in around 11: 00 A.M. I sure hope we can get our room when we get there. The rest of my group are driving in. I think we are almost packed and ready. Does anybody think they are going to be able to sleep the night before? Not me. See ya all soon!

Mardi Gras 5X in the 80's
Holiday 93
Legend 03
Pride 2-1-04
Sensation 2-21-04
Valor 1-29-06
Next cruise 6-16-2010 on the Miracle!!!
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
SharB

Snowy!
No, you'll be waking up to look out your room window (probably every hour or so) for the Pride to show up Sunday morning. :o)

Shar
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
SharB

Default MAZATLAN

For those of you going to Concordia, I just got a message from Frank and here are the directions for meeting him when we get off the ship. I made a copy of this, but it may take all of us to find him :o)

Here is his message: (I asked him to make a sign with Cruisemates on it)

Just a little reminder. It is a week away and I have not forgotten you. I am really looking forward to meet you all.

I was checking in my reservation book and did not right down where we will meet. Did I tell you where? It will be at 9:00 am. The best place to wait for you would be at the entrance of the passengers terminal building. As you get off the ship, there is a free shuttle to this building. Hop on that tram and it will take you there. As you arrive, you will see about 103 time share people. All along the way actually you will see them. They will offer you from free transportation to tours, but don´t listen to them, unless you want to go to a presentation for 2 1/2 hrs. I will try to be at the entrance of the terminal building. If I am not, enter the building to your RIGHT, go through the building, as you exit it you will see to your RIGHT hand a jewellery store called PARDO, I might be there. In any of the places, I will have a sign with your name. So please look for the sign. Did you understand everything or did it mix you up.

Please confirm this is clear. Also let me know of any changes please. Have a great cruise!
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Everyone, just want to assuage any fears you may have ...

* Meclizine HCI, as Snowy mentioned, is Bonine, which you can buy at Longs or any drug store. I swear by it, because I get car sick in a heartbeat. The Bonine ($4 or so) is chewable, and one is good for all day. You can take 2 in 24 hours, and I do this normally on our last sea day back when the ship is booging up the coast. Remember, sea sickness feels like a flu coming on or (for me) I just break out in a sweat. I take Bonine every day -- better safe than sorry, and it also helps on those bus/van rides. It's also available at the Pursors Desk, but buy it instead (who wants to wait in line when you feel icky)

* Snowy, you are gonna love the weather here. It was 70 today in San Diego ... it just gets better as you go down to Mexico. Just puffy clouds here and there.

* On the Concordia trip, Frank made it sound much worse than it will be to find him at 9 a.m. You dock in Mazatlan on a port that looks like a big airplane tarmack. There is a free tram ride to the cruise building (which is small). You *will* have to say "no" to some tours and taxi cabs, but just walk and look for Frank's sign. If he is at Pardo, you will walk to the driveway entrance and look about, but I think he will be able to make into the terminal area. *Plus* you have friends here who will guide you.

* Tomorrow is the killer day for me at work, as I try to get everything ready (and then pack in teh afternoon). We are going up Saturday (staying at the Long Beach Holiday Inn at the airport). Our friends are coming for dinner, and we will have dinner at Parker's Lighthouse overlooking the Queen Mary.

Counting the minutes to those sea days and that balcony!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Mike mentioned auto tipping and wondered about service.

I did an experiment on our Oct. sailing on the Spirit.

I tipped the steward $5 when we left on the first night for dinner, giving our dinner times and the time we normally left the cabin in the morning (9-10 a.m.). We just asked for quick cabin makeup service and fresh ice.

We had the best service in our past 5 cruises!

Yea, I know, you should only have to tip the standard, but I think by being savvy enough to show we were experienced made us stand out among the cabins she was in charge of.

The steward went beyond the call of service -- even leaving me extra Tums one night when I asked if any more samples were available. She also left us 2 nice notes, complimenting how easy we were.

We are always *easy* on stewards -- we are very clean, but this small gesture seemed to make the difference on excellent service. On the contrary, we were on the Star Princess, and every night I came back to the cabin with something the steward missed -- one night she took the extra pillows, one night did not empty the trash can, etc etc.

Just a thought,

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Admiral

The Tums remind me -- Carnival leaves a great goodie basket in the bath -- razors, Tums, Tylenol PM, shampoo, mints, etc

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Weather Report:

Here is the latest for our cruise -- best weather I have ever had in Mexico (no humidity and no high temperatures!):

Snowy, get ready to drool:

Sunday: Long Beach - 67 and mostly sunny

Wednesday: Puerto Vallarta - 78 and partly cloudy

Thursday: Mazatlan - 76 and cloudy

Friday: Cabo - 72 and partly cloudy

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:09 PM
SharB

Harry,
Thanks for all the info. I'm so excited! Unfortunately tomorrow is a blur of activity. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the day "off".

On Saturday, we're not sure when we'll leave home for Long Beach, hopefully before noon - 'cause that would get us to LB before the rush. I originally wanted to go to the aquarium but, if we do, we might wear ourselves out for just a few hours until it closes.

We'll probably just make it to the Long Beach Marriott Courtyard and eat in a restaurant at the hotel. That way we'll have a better choice of parking spaces for the week.

Back to laundry...

Shar
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Oh folks, I have some treats for you!

First I attached to this note a view from the balcony of our sister balcony cabin aft on deck 8. .... Take me!

Also, having searched all the Pride galleries on board, I came up with two great ones:

Search under Photo Galleries for these key words (in quotes)

"More Pride" -- scroll down for pics of the appetizers and desserts at Davids -- made me wanna consider it. Much bigger and fancier than I was expecting!

"Carnival Pride" by Rich ... great interior shots and tons aft shots, too.

I am gonna pull Art out here to see the one I attached to say, "Three more days!"

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:16 PM
911Marci

Hi Everybody:

Questions for Mike: is it possible for us as a group to have our photo taken at the red funnel.......I know that a lot of groups are allowed to do this, can you get us permission to do this also??????? It would be so cool!!! Also, could you see if you could get us a tour of the bridge??? I have also read that they will give consideration to groups, if requested ahead of time........Badges are great, Mike...thanks for the hard work!!

Am exhausted and haven't even gotten on the ship yet....went and bought booze today, and extras...........Cat sitter coming tomorrow to learn the drill...........dog in the vet on Saturday.....bags are bulging at the seams........decided to drive the car to port and leave it there for the week.....$80. versus shuttle which was $115.

Shar, thanks for the offer on printing the door decoration.....will just be a plain door girl!!!!!

You all who are leaving tomorrow........ be very safe and have a good trip.....I look forward to putting a face to all these great postings......what fun!!! Snowyowl, call one of us so we can hook up this week....I am in cabin 6262 aft.

SEE YOU ALL AT DINNER ON SUNDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Marci/911 Chick
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:43 AM
911Marci

My Fellow Cruisers.....

You have to check this out....under photo gallery, go to May 25th Pride by Yo Boy.....take a look at that porterhouse steak from David's Supper Club. It sealed the deal, I really have to take my mom there!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Fun to look at the photos......everyone is having such a marvelous time....and everyone is smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info on where to look ,Harry, I showed my Mom and she is getting so excited, she liked the look of the balcony......this cruise better get here soon or we will burst with enthusiasm!!!!!!

We are thinking of getting to the pier a little before 1pm in hopes of escaping having to stand in so many lines for too long......

As soon as I get on board, I want to beat feet to the spa and make massage appts. and also go to David's to make a reservation for dinner.

Hope all is well with everyone......we are down to a few days........after thinking about this for soooooooooo long!!

Will check in tomorrow and see who is still around.....

Smiles,
Marci/911 Chick
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Marci, they will have a table set up to book David's. Last time I seem to recall it was set up in the buffet restaurant or in the atrium.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Hey gang. Hope everyone is all packed and ready to go. I can't believe I
came to work today! All I can think about is getting in the car and heading
to Long Beach. At least the day is half over. Got some last minute
things to pick up after work, then finish packing.

Spent time last night looking at all the Pride pics. I don't really do
excited but I'm starting to get revved up Can't wait to meet all you
great folks!

Everyone have a safe trip and see you all on Sunday!!

Hiram
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Hi Everyone...

Getting a little excited are we? I know that Dyanna and I are!

Marci, I will do what I can to arrange the photo shoot in front of the funnel and the tour of the bridge. Like I said earlier, this is my first Carnival cruise so, I am not really sure what I can arrange but, I will do my best to make it all come together. I have noticed that many of the cruise lines have stopped giving bridge tours due to the increased security issues but, it is always worth a try… the worst they can do is say “No”. I am also going to try to get a tour of the kitchen if anyone is interested.

I figure that we can all discuss times and places to meet for the Digital Photo Class plus Q&A’s about CruiseMates, parties, photos, etc. at our first dinner together. I want to arrange everything so it won't have any conflict with other plans (i.e. massages, bingo, etc.).

I can't thank Harry and Shar enough for doing most of the leg work on this cruise. They have done a spectacular job keeping everyone informed on updates, changes, tours, etc. (even the weather)!

For what it's worth, for those of you who catch this message in time, I just noticed that the Ecstasy is in port today so; this will give you a little preview of what we are going to see when we get there. Here is the link to the large live image:

http://www.nbc4.tv/wxcam/1391499/detail.html

Really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Mike
Old January 30th, 2004, 04:27 PM
SharB

Hi Mates!
Just came back from buying some last minute things, including balloons for our balcony.
(We'll only put them out when we're in port ) - So I figured I'd hang them as soon I can get on the balcony on Sunday! Depending on our life-boat drill time, I might have to remove them. Don't want to see them flying off in the Long Beach harbor! I'm not using helium, so they're just "be there". Got most of our door deco ready. Maybe I'll put some balloons there too, if there's room.

I've come up with this great idea of a fold and wheel-away wardrobe closet. That way I wouldn't have to make any decisions (sort of an extra large cargo trunk). Capt Ron isn't real hot on the idea :o)

Shar
(wondering how they'd react to me bringing on a helium tank)
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to snowyowlone

Hey all,
I think we are all ready. I want out of this unbearable frozen state. Woke up to -24F WC -50F. We leave at 9:00 in the morning. I can't believe the time has finally come. It will be so nice to be out to sea. If it is shorts weather one way to reconize me is I have a big tattoo on my right lower leg. It is of horses and wolves with mountains in the back round. If not I will have to look for the ones that have pictures on Qwixfyx page. Plus I know you all are a pretty big group so you should'nt be to hard to find. Well hope to see ya all on the ship.

Mardi Gras 5X in the 80's
Holiday 93
Legend 03
Pride 2-1-04
Sensation 2-21-04
Valor 1-29-06
Next cruise 6-16-2010 on the Miracle!!!
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Admiral

UGH -- shoot me now! We are 50 percent thru packing (yep I waited till the last minute). We have it down to a science, but trying to figure out the clothes order now.

Harry <-- in need of a drink, and yep -- got one!!!

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Ahhh, all done! Going to bed early tonight -- been pooped for days.

Saturday night we are having dinner with our friends Steve and Jennifer at Parkers Lighthouse, overlooking the Queen Mary (pretty restaurant)

And then Sunday -- settling into that aft balcony!!!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!