Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Harmony for Alaska

Hi. I am going on the Crystal Harmony to Alaska this summer for my honeymoon. I was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful hints for the ship or itinerary. I've heard that dress onboard can be quite formal. We are planning on gowns and tuxes for formal nights, but what about casual night? Also, what do people wear during the day? It seems that the weather in Alaska in August can be cold and some of the excursions may require very casual clothing. What should I bring to wear? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2001, 12:39 PM
darcie

Default Re: Harmony for Alaska

You will love Crystal. My best advice is to bring layers for daytime wear--sweaters, jackets, jeans and the like. If you're going to tour any glaciers, it will be very cold, damp and perhaps rainy. You should bring some type of raingear, and good solid shoes. Sandals won't work in Alaska.
Old April 15th, 2001, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Default Dress on Harmony

You will find that dress in the evening on the Crystal Harmony is pretty dressy. Formal nights is mostly long gowns and tuxes, although some women will also wear cocktail dresses or even dressy slacks and sequined tops. "Informal" on Crystal is suits for men, dressy pants suits or cocktail dresses for women. There are few "casual" nights, which is really more like business attire for women...definately not jeans. Men wear sports jackets, and often ties. If you don't want to dress up on any night, you can always have room service. Be sure to sign up the first day for any meals in the ship restaurants (same dress codes) as these reservations often fill up right away. Have a great time. She is a lovely ship, even if the bathrooms are tiny! My favorite area is the Palm Court, which will be "the" place to be for Glacier Bay with its floor to ceiling windows and the full width of the ship. Take strong binoculars and dress in layers during the day, with plans for rain.
Old May 24th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
Default Re: Dress on Harmony

My wife and I took the June 29th cruise last year weather was very warm i would suggest packing a pair of shorts just in case. On the shore exscursions if any special clothing is needed it is usually provided. Informal means suit and tie casula means slacks and a button down shirt. Layers are a plus even more important is a hat and gloves as it is cold outside looking at glaciers and your head gets cold pretty fast. I din't use half the sweather I brought so probably a good wind water resistans shell with a liner and a sweatshirt and a flannel shirt should be enough for any days. I brought hiking boots and never used them i just wore sneakers.
Old August 14th, 2001, 01:02 AM
P.J

Did you already go?? We just got back and are thinking you may have been on the Harmony August 1-13. ( The girl with dark, curly hair and the gentleman with a moustache???) The dress is anything you want it to be. My favorite was the day of the grand buffet where everyone had a formal lunch in the dining room and the guy with the yellow t-shirt with the Walmart happy face on it.... Great... As for us, we dressed in casual resort wear during the day (a nice warm-up suit is appropriate for daytime as are slacks and cotton blouses) Remember there is a lot to do, and no time to change or do laundry. Also, this is one of the more casual daytime dress codes. What you wear here is much different than say a world cruise. However, at night you have pictures and however you want to remember your trip is how you should dress. I felt uncomfortable on a formal night in a short beaded black dress. But to each his own. One thing I did hear from Paul McFarland was that it was nice to see our children dressed appropriately on formal nights, gowns and tuxes, that it was a rare occurance. Yet, we did get invited to the Captain's quarters for cocktails and I don't think others with children were included. Simply a FYI, but it does make a difference.
Old May 29th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Passenger

Congratulations! Casual is not the right word for less dressy evenings. Informal is the word! That means a nice dress or pants outfit for ladies, jacket, tie and pants for men.

Yes, dressing is Alaska is less formal than in other parts of the world where Crystal cruises. You are out and about most days and don't have a lot of time to dress. Second seating is always dressier than first.

As it is your honeymoon, I'm sure you will enjoy dressing up and looking fantastic!

My hubby often wears a dark suit instead of a tux when we've been traveling for a long time. He hates to haul a tux for one or two nights.

Late evenings on the Crystal ships can feel lonely, but don't hesitate to enjoy the public rooms or our favorate, using the hot tub while passing fantastic scenery under the Midnight Sun. I promise you won't have a crowd!