CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crystal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crystal/)
-   -   Rome to Venice on Serenity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crystal/212881-rome-venice-serenity.html)

mainecruiser February 12th, 2004 08:42 AM

Rome to Venice on Serenity

Hey... anyone else traveling Rome to Venice (July 13th, '04) this summer? It's always fun to "meet" fellow CruiseMates before the cruise.

MaineCruiser

HARRIETT May 4th, 2004 06:49 AM

Re: Rome to Venice on Serenity

YES, WE ARE GOING ON THAT CRUISE. THERE WILL BE 4 OF US FROM BALTIMORE.

mainecruiser May 6th, 2004 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Rome to Venice on Serenity

Hi Harriett, great to hear from you! I was beginning to think we were going to be the only Cruisemates aboard. We are (obviously by my screen name) from Maine. Are you planning on taking any of the shore excursions? I think we will probably plan our own. We're not into architecture, museums or churches and most of the ships excursions include these.

Thanks for responding!

Lori Rhodes May 16th, 2004 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rome to Venice on Serenity

hello,
iwe are going on this trip also..4 of us from San Francisco. 2 daughters ages 17 and 19.
If you plan your own tours...who do you use to help you plan it?
Have you ever been on the group tours with Crystal?
we'd like to know what they are like....generally speaking, we like more flexibility.

thanks
loriMaineCruiser wrote:

> Hi Harriett, great to hear from you! I was beginning to think
> we were going to be the only Cruisemates aboard. We are
> (obviously by my screen name) from Maine. Are you planning on
> taking any of the shore excursions? I think we will probably
> plan our own. We're not into architecture, museums or churches
> and most of the ships excursions include these.
>
> Thanks for responding!

mainecruiser May 16th, 2004 01:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rome to Venice on Serenity

Hi Lori... glad to find more people on our cruise! You and I must be about the same age, I have two sons ages 15 and 17. They won't be traveling with me this time, though. I am traveling with my mom. This will be my 4th Crystal cruise and her 6th or 7th. We taken shore excursion with them and they are always very well done. Heck, everything Crystal does is well done! But you seldom have any flexibility once you get into a shore excursion. They are "orchestrated" if you know what I mean. Get on the bus, see this, go here, do that... everyone back on the bus now. That's okay and a good way to see things, but the reason we are looking to do our own is that from what I've been able to find out, most of their excursions are focused on architecture, art, museums, etc. That's just not our "thing." We usually take eco-tours or spend the day on our own exploring, shopping and having lunch! We'd much prefer to watch people, visit gardens or see animal life than look at buildings. There's a lot on the message board for excursions about planning your own... many recommendations for private tours and drivers. We'll probably just "make a deal" with a driver on the pier if that's something we feel like doing that day. I know when I travel with my boys, though, that I like to have certain port days all planned in advance.

Are you flying in the day before or the day the cruise leaves? We're out of Boston Monday (12th) night, arriving in Rome via Munich at 3 pm. We're taking the transfer with Crystal to the port. I'm NOT looking forward to that long ride after flying. Maybe I'll be able to sleep... not! The last time we took a transfer with Crystal to the ship was in London. A driver picked us up at the airport in a Towncar and took us to a convention building where we waited with other passengers and then took a nice bus to Dover. Knowing Crystal, I'm sure the ride to Civitavecchia will be comfortable.

Stacy July 9th, 2004 12:06 PM

Re: Rome to Venice on Serenity

Is everyone busy packing?!? I am!