Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:03 PM
sf

Default Is Crystal worth the price?

I'm looking to do Mediterrenean in the spring of 2005. I'm considering Crystal, Radisson or Silversea. I've heard a lot of nice things about Crystal so I'd like to try it, but when add tips and drinks to their per day price, they are up there with Radisson and Silversea ( with a discount and Venetian Society discount). It isn't open seating, either. Could somebody give me good enough reasons why I should pay Crystal's prices rather than Radisson or Silversea? What does Crystal have that the competitors don't? I'm keeping open mind and willing to be convinced.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Donalee

Default Re: Is Crystal worth the price?

I love Crystal. I just got back from a two week transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Constellation. The ship was large and beautiful with many grand public spaces. Celebrity lacks the elegance and refinement of Crystal. If you are looking for elegance in the dining room, more attention from the staff and more personal space aboard the ship then look at Crystal. Many of my fellow passengers on Celebrity loved it, but I found the ship too crowded and noisy. I would much prefer a quiet relaxing cruise on Crystal where I can actually use the swimming pool during the day. I will definitely pay more money in the future to cruise on Crystal.
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:02 AM
darci

Default Re: Re: Is Crystal worth the price?

It's the little things that make Crystal very special. I just returned from the world cruise on the Serenity and there were so many wonderful things that Crystal does that separates it from all the others. It would take forever to tell everything, but here are a few examples. On Easter morning when the passengers returned to their rooms after breakfast, there was a beautiful plate with Easter grass and chocolate bunnies, eggs and jelly beans. And earlier that morning, the captain turned the ship completely around in order that the sun shine right into the Palm Court for Easter sunrise services. When you board and you're a former passenger, your room stewardess or butler will have a list of all your preferences such as whether you need allergenic pillows and have a preference for diet Coke and Sprite in your frig. You will have a head waiter that is just waiting to make you a special meal or dessert every evening if you so desire. There were a number of my fellow passengers who are Hungarian and we jokingly told our head waiter that we would love Hungarian food for dinner one night. Three days later we received invitations for a special lunch of specially prepared Hungarian food---a true feast. Another time the captain lowered a couple of lifeboats so the passengers could take a closer look at some wildlife in the area. These are the kind of things that happen on Crystal on a regular basis. Couple that with the best food and service in the business and a staff that doesn't have the word "NO" in their dictionary and you can see what sets Crystal apart from the rest and why they are named every year as the best cruise line by Conde Nast Traveller.
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Ginnie

We have sailed The Seabourn Legend, the Radisson Navigator and the Crystal Harmony..
I would say that Seabourn probably had the very best food and service, but the ship is small and doesn't have the outstanding entertainment and other evening activities that Crystal offers.
The food on Radisson wasn't as good as on Crystal, and neither was the service, we found, and again they don't offer all the amenities of a larger deluxe vessel.
We prefered the cabins (all suites) on Seabourn and Radisson, but the overall ambience of Crystal can not be matched, in our opinion.
Happy Cruising, Ginnie
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Lance G. Hanish

I just returned from a cruise on Crystal Serenity from Athens to Rome and it was superb. The biggest surprise was the size of the stateroom and bathroom. It was
terrific.

There probably is not a better ship to travel on in the world than this one.
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:54 PM
JMK

I have sailed on Radisson and Crystal. Maybe I had a bad stateroom attendent and dining room staff on Crystal, the 10 day Med. cruise on the Symphany was okay, but not as good as I had expected. I thought the service and food on the Radisson Diamond was better, although activities were limited due to the ship's size. My next cruise choice will definately be for Silver Sea since wine and spirits are included.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Don McKenzie

My wife and I have cruised on all three. The choice depends on your priorities. We really enjoy the larger cabins of Radisson and Silversea. Radisson's minimum cabin sizes (excluding veranda) are 300 sq. ft. for the Voyager and the Navigator, and 250 for the Mariner. Silverseas are 240 for the Wind and Cloud and 270 for the Shadow and Whisper. Crystal are 200 for the Harmony and Symphony and 225 for the Serenity. Radisson and Silversea have a midroom blackout curtain which is great when one person is trying to rest while the other wants to read or watch TV.
I much prefer the single seating dining on Radisson and Silversea to the two seating dining on Crystal. For the most part we have had excellent food on all the lines; each one has had its problems once in a while.
Crystal does not include tips or alcohol. Radisson includes wine at dinner. Silversea includes all alcohol.
Crystal has the best entertainment. We have enjoyed all the ships and whichever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy it.
-Don in Sacramento.
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:12 PM
PaulaJK

It's relative. What are you seeking?
I'd give "the best room" to Radisson
The most inclusive pkg to Silversea
and the best cuisine & entertainment to Crystal.
Crystal used to be in the same $$ ballpark...but
seems to out-priced itself since Serenity's birth.
I still love it though. How about RSSC Voyager?