CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crystal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crystal/)
-   -   On Crystal does "Formal Night" really mean "formal"? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crystal/380109-crystal-does-formal-night-really-mean-formal.html)

Kuki February 2nd, 2011 01:01 PM

On Crystal does "Formal Night" really mean "formal"?

I'm sailing the Symphony in Apr. and I'm wondering if "formal nights" on Crystal really mean "formal wear". I sort of retired my tuxedo several years ago when I cruised, because suits seemed just as appropriate on most lines. My Blog this week (on our Home Page) is about the "changing formal".

I'm willing to bring the tux if it's more the "norm" on Crystal.

nancyp February 2nd, 2011 01:06 PM

A dark suit is perfectly fine for formal night.

Nancy

Paul Motter February 3rd, 2011 06:18 PM

It may be perfectly fine, however, let's put it this way...

There is no way to be considered "overdressed" either.

Most of the men you see will be in Tuxedos based on my 2009 cruise.

johnthed0g February 3rd, 2011 07:16 PM

It IS difficult to know about formal wear....we can all read the rules but we don't know to what degree they are applied, if at all. Sadly forums are the ONLY way to find this out, you can't ask the cruise line as all you get is the "official line", even on board recently I was told one thing but in practice it was different.

nancyp February 3rd, 2011 08:28 PM

Per Crystal, a dark suit or tuxedo is suggested for men on formal night. I've been on crystal many times and you will see a mix of both.

Nancy

Kuki February 4th, 2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancyp (Post 1349393)
Per Crystal, a dark suit or tuxedo is suggested for men on formal night. I've been on crystal many times and you will see a mix of both.

Nancy

Appreciate that very much Nancy. Think you can share any info on the "atmoshphere" onboard. My last lux cruise experience was on Silversea, and it was actually much less "stuffy" than I expected.

What "atmosphere" might I expect on a 14 night Crystal sailing?

nancyp February 4th, 2011 11:30 AM

Kuki, I've never been on Silversea but have been on Crystal many times in the past few years. I do not find Crystal to be stuffy!

Unlike the other luxury lines, Crystal has a very extensive enrichment program including terrrific lecturers and various classes on sea days. since you have lots of sea days on your upcoming cruise, I recommend you make the most of every day. Also, the evening entertainment on Crystal is terrific offering several production shows and headliner entertainers most evenings.

The crew really shines and provides wonderful service. Also, the word no rarely exists! The food in all the venues is terrific and if you want to special order something just give 24 hour notice.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to email me directly or post the questions here.

I sure hope you will enjoy your upcoming Crystal cruise as much as I do.

Best, nancy:D

Kuki February 4th, 2011 03:35 PM

Thanks so much for the info Nancy. Appreciate it

Have heard that aside from food, enrichment lectures and entertainment were GREAT.

This is a "golf theme", so I understand there's some lectures and seminars from Ken Venturi and Billy Casper... both well known, and no doubt well informed golfers and PGA announcers. Should be great fun.

nancyp February 4th, 2011 04:50 PM

You're welcome Kuki.

My husband and I were on the British Isle's golf theme cruise in 2009. While we're not golfers, we really enjoyed Billy Casper's lecturers and he's very accessible throughout the cruise.

Enjoy,

Nancy

Paul Motter February 17th, 2011 04:19 PM

Crystal has the best guest speakers - and more of them, than any cruise line.

If I were a golfer I would love to be on a Crystal cruise - their experts are the best.