Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Oceania Marina - target Crystal?

It seems to me that if Oceania Marina is going to target any cruise line it will be Crystal.

Crystal also features large ships for a luxury product, and unlike other lux lines Crystal does not include liquor or gratuities in the basic cruise fare.

Now granted - Crystal gas been offering spectacular incentives lately that make it far more "inclusive" - but intrinsically - without the sales special offers - there is little difference between what Marina and Crystal offer.

Do you see Crystal people switching over to Marina? Or do you think Crystal's cruisers are just plain dedicated and wouldn't think of switiching?

(I suspect the latter, but I think some of them may try Marina).
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

Crystal and Oceania are two very different cruise lines with two very different demographics. Oceania is low key and casual; Crystal offers more lectures and entertainment and a more formal atmosphere. One ship alone (Marina) cannot change the image of an entire line. I do not understand the comparison and I see no reason to leave Crystal.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well, I agree they are different in the ways you describe.

But by the same token, you can't judge Marina by the older ships. Marina is a beautiful ship and the food is sublime.

Crystal is the only LUX cruise line that is not "all-inclusive" which makes Marina certainly more like Crystal than its brethren Regent which is the most inclusive lux line out there.

Crystal also has the biggest ships in the LUX sector, maing them more like Marina.

I think it depends on why you choose to cruise on Crystal. If it is for great food and service, and on a ship that is fairly port active and goes to great places then the two ships have a lot in common.

Granted there are also differences. If you cruise on Crystal because you like formal nights and ballroom dancing then Marina is probably not for you.

I am just saying that if you like Crystal because of the excellent food & service they provide around port-intensive itineraries then Marina is a logical transition for you.

But if you are a "days at sea" person then maybe not so much - but don't sell Marina short yet. They have a beautiful culinary center where every student gets their own "kitchen" during classes, and the same with arts & crafts class. They also have a Canyon Ranch spa, a wonderful library with DVDs and bigger-screen TVs.

Yes, Crystal gets tons of lecturers and has a movie theater, but Marina, if they chose, could also do that very easily. Keep in mind, Oceania is losing one ship and gaining a second ship like Marina is less than a year - then the standard for comparison will be the Marina class, not the smaller ships.

Just something to watch for future reference.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We have sailed Crystal seven times (our 8th coming up shortly) but also sail other lines, often Celebrity when it's not Crystal. With that said we are booked on Oceania's Marina next March and very much looking forward to trying them. I do agree that Marina (and Riveira) may give Crystal some competition. Crystal is a solid product that we enjoy very much, but we like variety in cruising and Oceania looks appealing.
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi! I'm going to have a cruise, but I have doubts concerning the company to deal with.. I'm thinking about Crystal, but in some reviews I've found there is negative information about this company. What would you advice?

Last edited by Mike M; November 21st, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: remove commercial link
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Since I wrote the post up above Crystal has become all-inclusive as a cruise line, including alcohol and gratuities in the cruise fare, so that now differentiates them from Oceania, although Oceania has now started offering all-inclusive packages for alcohol on board that do not raise the cruise fare by more than about $55/day.