Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Liner Dan

Default What's happen to this board?

I check this message board everyday and it's so dissapointing to see nobody use's it anymore.Is anyone planning a trip on either Cunards great ships.What was your favourite thing on either ship?, or do you have a vent that you want to get off your chest.C'mon lets get this board moving again.What about the new QM2 someone must know or wish to find out something about her.Lets get all the questions and post coming back....................
Regards Liner Dan...................
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Ross
Default Re: What's happen to this board?

Hi Liner Dan

I just discovered this whole cruise-forum area.....what a wealth of information!

My wife and I will be travelling on the QE2 (first trip with Cunard) this summer -June 18 -and are both excited about the trip. This is one of those things you do on a special occasion and for us it will be a once in a lifetime wish come true.

So can anyone tell me how cold and or wet it can be on the N. Atlantic at that time of year? Any tips on where the best bar is onboard - I like English beer! I heard that there is also a 'crew' pub that you can be invited into. Can you let me know how that works?

Thanks for the chance to post here.

Regards

RH
Old May 7th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Liner Dan

Hi Ross
I myself was on QE2 in feb just gone.It was for 7 nights around the Australian Coast.So i can't tell what the weather will be like on the N/Atlantic.But in regard to english beer you can't go past the bar called "GOLDEN LION PUB" it is set out like an old english tavern and i found it very cosy.At night there is usually a pianist playing good sing alongs and there is plenty of chairs and the lounges are all covered in red velor with brass table lamps in between each ,it looks very classy.In regards to the crew pub,unless you are a friend of a friend i think you will find it very hard to get an invite.Also there is a ward room where officer's sometimes invite passengers in for drinks(this is the only lounge on the ship with a bow view).Again you have to know someone or be a repeat passenger,but good luck to this anyhow no harm done in trying.I was in Cariona class when i sailed can you let me know what grade you are going in? and i will try and shed some light if i can.
Regards Dan...........................................
Old May 7th, 2001, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Hi Liner Dan:

I am a big Cunard fan and am sailing on the QE2's Transatlantic crossing that departs from Southampton on June 6. This will be my fifth time on the QE2, and I am certainly looking forward to it! This is one of the special Queen Mary/Queen Mary 2 theme crossings (this is the whole reason that I doing the trip). This crossing is supposed to feature lectures by some of the designers of the QM2. I am very interested in learning more information about the QM2. I will post any new information about the QM2 after I return home.

My most recent prior trip on the QE2 was its five-day Caribbean cruise last October. I dined in the Caronia Restaurant (what a beautiful room). I enjoy the QE2 more each time that I sail aboard her!
Old May 7th, 2001, 10:42 PM
Liner Dan

Hi Chuck
It's so good to hear from you!.You are so lucky to be doing a theme cruise it will be great fun.In regards to the talk about QM2,we will be very much looking forward to hear what you learn.Plus being on the ship for the 5th time makes you a real QE2 vetern,do you have any information for "Ross"(see above) in regards to crew/officers wardrooms,have you ever being invited?.I agree with you in regards to the Cariona restaurant i found it better than what i expected,the refit was well done.Have a safe and wonderful crossing and i hope you get great weather.
Regards Dan.....................................
Old May 8th, 2001, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the message. I will let you know what I learn about the QM2.

Unfortunately, I have never been in any of the officer or crew areas on the QE2. I was seated at the doctor's table during my last cruise (the first time that I have ever been assigned to an officer's table on any ship), but I have not seen the officers' wardroom.

In answer to your question concerning the weather, I know that the weather on the North Atlantic is frequently unpleasant. During the only crossing that I have done by sea, the weather was cool and the seas were rough. The crossing was in late June 1984 (my more recent trips on the QE2 have all been cruises). On one day, the seas were so rough that the crew placed deadlights (covers) over the portholes. However, the QE2 is built for this type of weather and handled the rough seas very well. Also, the crew indicated that the weather was particularly bad that crossing. I am not worried about the weather, but I am not planning to spend a lot of time on deck. I definitely will bring a jacket.

My favorite bar on the ship is the Chart Room. This is a small and elegant room that features a piano from the Queen Mary.

I like the QE2 so well because it has such great style and a sense of tradition. The QE2 is truly a ship, and is very different from the cruise ships that currently are being built.
Old May 8th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Liner Dan

Hi Chuck
The chart room was my favorite room on board as well,i really enjoyed listening to the harp each night.Also i agree with you 100% in regards to the QE2 being a true liner, it's nice to see that they never introduced glitz and neon in her many refits.There is more use of wood paneling then ever,plus all the new carperting and redone chair's and fabrics make her look a million dollars now.I would love one day to do a trans/atlanic in her,but with the roughest of weather just for fun.All the newer ships today are so boxy looking and as soon there's a breath of wind they are heading for cover.
Catch up with you soon
Regards Dan.........................
Old May 9th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Ross

Well that certainly sparked something.
Thanks to all for the tips and pointers. I will check them all out and report on return....but first we are off on the Explorer this Saturday and can hardly wait!
BFN
Old May 10th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Liner Dan

Ross
Thankyou for answering and to help kickstart things again,now i'm hoping others will come back to this site and keep it going. Have a great time away.
Regards Dan..............................
Old May 28th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Laurie Viscusi

The officer's relaxation areas are wild! Never let it be said that the British are stoggy.