Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Default World Cruise 2002

We're boarding the World Cruise in Ft. Lauderdale and going through the Panama Canal. One of our port stops is Cartegena,Columbia. I've read State Dept. warnings about tourists going to Columbia. Has anyone had any experience with this port?
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: World Cruise 2002

Joy,
We were on the same cruise last year and traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles, we did get of the ship in Cartegena, I found that it was a fantastic city with alot of wonderful old builidings. We choose to take a 1/2 day city tour and I was quite happy with it. I would NOT tour this city on my own, in the old part of this city there are alot of very narrow streets, and there can be some very large crowds (easy to get lost or have a purse stolen). The tour guide was very informative and we had a great time. The archecture of the only city is really impressive, being from Toronto, we don't have alot of old historic buildings,(like the Cathedral).
Overall this city was very nice to visit with a lot of history. There were a few on the cruise who did talk about going to visit the city on their own, I'm not one for taking chances, and you must remember that Columbia is what some might consider to be a 3rd world country.
A visit to the monastery on is worth the trip if only for the views of the city.
I would strongly reccomend that you consider getting up early enough to watch the ship arrive in port.
I loved my time on the QE II, but if you haven't travel on her before she is not like other mass market cruise ships.
Enjoy Your Trip,
Bruce
Old October 30th, 2001, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: World Cruise 2002

Joy,
We were on the same cruise last year and traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles, we did get of the ship in Cartegena, I found that it was a fantastic city with alot of wonderful old builidings. We choose to take a 1/2 day city tour and I was quite happy with it. I would NOT tour this city on my own, in the old part of this city there are alot of very narrow streets, and there can be some very large crowds (easy to get lost or have a purse stolen). The tour guide was very informative and we had a great time. The archecture of the only city is really impressive, being from Toronto, we don't have alot of old historic buildings,(like the Cathedral).
Overall this city was very nice to visit with a lot of history. There were a few on the cruise who did talk about going to visit the city on their own, I'm not one for taking chances, and you must remember that Columbia is what some might consider to be a 3rd world country.
A visit to the monastery on is worth the trip if only for the views of the city.
I would strongly reccomend that you consider getting up early enough to watch the ship arrive in port.
I loved my time on the QE II, but if you haven't travel on her before she is not like other mass market cruise ships.
Enjoy Your Trip,
Bruce