Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Southampton Connection

Hi,
I have just put a deposit on a transatlantic crossing of the QE2 in May. I am traveling solo and not a very seasoned traveler. I am making arrangement to continue my journey by train from the Southampton Central Train Station. My travel agent advises that transportation is available from the ship to Victoria Station in London but as far as she knows that is the extend of the connections provided by the cruise line. So my question is this, are there taxis or any other means of transportation available for those going elsewhere? And, the ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 a.m. I know that there are times when delays occur but do they generally arrive close to schedule and how long does it actually take to disembark once the ship has docked?
And by the way this is the koolest site I have found regarding cruise information. So nice to find real people with real experience as opposed to pat answers from brochure. Thanks all.
Mary
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Colin

Default Re: Southampton Connection

Hi Mary,

The ship usualy arrives right on time but it can take a couple of hours to disembark. They generally disembark by deck number.

Someone from the local train company comes aboard very early at Southampton to sell train tickets and with timetable info (outside the library). Also the large car rental companies - but only for pre-booked cars (outside the tour office). So your time waiting to disembark isn't wasted.

Once off the ship there are plenty of taxis inside the terminal building and it's only a five minute ride to the railway station. Tell the driver where you are going and he may be able to drop you off at the correct platform to save you lugging your cases up and over the footbridge.

Regards, Colin.
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:10 AM
myles

Default Re: Southampton Connection

Hi there Mary,
regarding your onward travel plans from QE2 to London though the ship is advertised to be in around 7am you may find she is docked before that, disembarking will start around 2 hours from docking and will be announced over the tannoy by deck numbers (this is of course only a guide line and you are free to de bark whenever you so wish,not many people know this!) there is always the usual rush when they announce the deck number so be warned!! If you are travelling and you can carry ALL your luggage off in one go you can get your boarding pass stamped self help at the pursers office (2 deck) nd you can walk off much sooner if you like??
having cleared custom is there are any there, you will find a line of taxies waitingto take you to Southampton Central St. Most people there will be going so you may get asked if you want to share,or even ask somebody. the journey to Waterloo Station (not victoria as your agent says) will only take about an 1 1\2 (try and get an express train, less stops) and you will arrive in Waterloo station. if you travel after 9am the train fare is slightly cheaper.
hope this is of some help? Rest assured QE2 is big enough that you will meet a diverse range of passengers from all walks of life, and lm sure you will have a wonderful crossing onboard, so just relax,unwind and leave it all behind and have yourself a high old time !!!
Bon Voyage ,
Myles