Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Beginner

Default tipping on QE2

We sail from Darwin to Hong Kong on Feb 20th next.

A long time since we last cruised. Can anyone explain how the "bulk" tipping works? Is it not possible just to tip where it seems deserved? If you pay the lump sum what about the guy who brings something to your cabin at an uncivilised hour---do you not tip him?

Would be grateful for any enlightenment on this topic, which I admit is not of earth shattering importance but which does puzzle me.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Default Re: tipping on QE2

sorry---just discovered the section of this site with heaps of posts on the tipping issue.
Still be interested in any views relating specifically to QE2.

qe2
Old December 23rd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

This subject of tipping on QE2 is a matter which nobody has managed to bury. Why? Because it is in many people's minds contraversial (Sorry - I think I have a spelling mistake there!!!).

Here is how it works.

Depending on which category cabin you are in, a daily amount is charged to your on board account. You *could* in theory dispute the charge - but you'd have to prove that refusing to pay the 'tip' was justified. This charge is shared between your cabin steward and waiting staff.

All drinks which are ordered carry an additional 15% gratuity charge - and there is NO getting away from paying it. If you want you can top it up.

On disembarkation, you can tip waiting staff extra if you want.

I'm generally happy with the gratuities I have to pay - EXCEPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ----> When I have to go from the pool area into the Pavilion bar to buy a drink and carry it to my sun lounger.

Where is the 'Service'?

When they do not provide service - then I do not want to pay a service chanrge. Therefore I do not go to any part of the ship where I have to 'do the service' and then pay for it.

Pete :o)
Old December 23rd, 2002, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: tipping on QE2

Pete

Thanks for your response. Calling the system "optional" seems a misnomer if you have to justify any departure from the norm. Also the "waiting staff" sounds a bit ominous.

Nevertheless we are greatly looking forward to our trip.

Cheers

MB
Old December 24th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Myles

on my recent 3 day what l did was to cancel the automatic tip and at the very start gave my room steward and 2 waiters their tips!!. boy was l given good service!! nothing was any trouble and l had no complaints!!! will certainly be doing this from now on!!
even though l requested not to have the tips added to my account this was still added and only taken off on a visit to the pursers office to check my account.
on a foot note, l work in the hotel indusrty and if im tipped at the start, good service is always given and more.. However lv had it done to me that after having given good service above and beyond the call of duty no tip is forthcoming!! makes you very wary of the next guest!!!!!
myles
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:53 AM
JHBUFFORD

Default Re: Re: tipping on QE2

On a 6 night crossing, what should I tip --assuming I want to tip-- the waiters and the cabin steward?