Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Transatlantic Weather

I would like to do a QE2 westbound in "real" weather before she stops the transatlantic service. Should I opt for hurricane season, 19 September or wait for the 15 December winter sailing ?

I am booked on QM2, April 2004 for her first eastbound. I hope she will continue the same air of class the QE2 holds.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Transatlantic Weather

Lots of people ask when is the most likely time to get bad weather on the North Atlantic, and the responses have been that you can get a mill pond any time and a gale also. There's no 'time' that will give you a better chance of the weather you want.

One thing though - make sure you go on a crossing with Captain Warwick as Master. He tends to increase speed in the teeth of a gale whereas other Masters (Paul Wright for example) tend to slow down.

The crew do NOT like it when Captain Warwick increases speed becuase it makes their job a nightmare. The barman in the Yacht Club once had all his bottles jump out of their racks behind the bar and it took him hours to clean up!!!!

Pete :o)
Old February 27th, 2003, 03:02 PM
First Mate

Default Transatlantic Weather

I was on QE2's quickest transatlantic crossing in recent years last May (great circle at 28.5+knots for 5 days-fantastic). The Captain was of course, Captain Warick. Your coments might explain why the crew seem to prefer having other masters on the bridge!

Jon
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're on the QM2 Eastbound crossing too (16 April ), and are then turning around and coming back on the QE2 Westbound (25 April)

Don't know what the weather will be like!

Jon wrote:

> I would like to do a QE2 westbound in "real" weather before
> she stops the transatlantic service. Should I opt for
> hurricane season, 19 September or wait for the 15 December
> winter sailing ?
>
> I am booked on QM2, April 2004 for her first eastbound. I
> hope she will continue the same air of class the QE2 holds.
>
>
> Jon
Old March 6th, 2003, 02:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Transatlantic Weather

You will know the ship pretty well by the end of the two weeks!

I am really looking forward to watching QE2 from QM2 on the April 04 tandem crossing. I had been planning a QM2 crossing at the end of next year but as soon as the tandem crossing date was announced, I was on the phone arranging a booking. Just as well as the ship practicaly sold out in the space of weeks.

I cannot imagine how big the celebrations are going to be when QM2 arrives in New York for the first time but I will be there to take it all in.

Jonathan
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:38 PM
TWS

Utter rubbish. Both captains think equally of the safety of the passengers and the ship, and its 34-year-old aluminium superstructure.

On a recent December crossing, Captain Wright pushed the ship two knots beyond the usual service speed because of an approaching storm, then maintained 20-22 knots in a Force 9-10, and we arrived in NYC on time. Any of the present cruise ships would have had to reduce speed to 10-15 knots in the same conditions.

I have sailed with Captain Warwick, and he operates the ship the same way.

But it's moot because both captains are being transferred to the QM2, and a new master comes on on April 17th at Southampton.
Ted
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:42 PM
TWS

Jon
Go for the December crossing for real weather. I have made eight now, and only one disappointed with only an F8, which would be the end of the world for someone used to the Carib. But the QE2 is like a fish in a F8-9 while most ships would be pigs.

I will be there.
Ted
Old March 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Hi Ted

Thank you for this advice. Sadly it leaves we with a problem!

Cunard have done a realy good job of making this year's Dec crossing on dates that I cannot travel on because of work commitments. It does look as if the September 2003 westbound it will need to be unless I get a new job! (True dedication).

Less that two months until my next QE2 trip.

Jon
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Weather

TWS,

I'm only repeating what has been said to me by crew and other passengers. I'm not lying!!!!

I'm sure that no Master ever endangers their ship - and that's not what's being suggested.

Theory being - that in some cases a higher speed enables a ship to plough through waves and not become a bobbing cork.

Then again - some Masters go through a storm and others go around it.

Pete
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:07 PM
High Seas

On the 1/5/03 transcanal as the ship sailed off Guatamala(sp?) the winds were terrific & the ship listed so much it was weird(I've been on 30+cruises / transatlantics & 3x QE2)

Only one announcement was made - it was from the captain - that the winds were typical & would last 8 hours. Well perhaps a note of being careful & to hold on would of helped(dishes slid off tables in the lido & the bottles off the Chart Room bar(this is what I saw). Even the crew didnt like that they didn't get notice of the severity,

Apparently Capt Wright has a reputation for this - irresponsible - I'd say so - QE2 or not!
Old February 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Tom (and James)

Finally: someone who also likes the tumult of a rough crossing!
Maybe our 4/25/04 eastbound will be memorable. (I once had the peasure of seeing, in calm weather, the famous Blue Icebergs of the North Atlantic.)
Happy sailing!
Old March 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
First Mate

Hey Tom & James

I'm also booked on the 25Apr QM2.

I was on QE2 when they had the introduction of the QM2, May02 eastbound. They showed video clips of the ship in a test tank in heavy seas and, based on what they showed, she does not move about too much.

They say she will roll and yaw half as much as QE2 in a following sea. Fittingly while they were giving this lecture there were some fairly large following swells (The microphone fell over a couple of times) and everything was swinging arround at the stern. Still only managed to clear the tables in the Lido once.

Based on this though I expect QM2 to be a very smooth crosser.

Might do QE2 in Dec04, not decided yet. Still looking for some "real" weather.

Jon
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Tom (and James)

Jon: Glad you'll be aboard on 4/25.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
captain Wright

To High Seas
I think you need to check your facts, I was not Master on the voyage you mention. I think without exception any crew members will tell you that if anything I tend to make to many announcements re approaching inclement weather. Having said that inclement weather can occurr without any warning. So once again I ask you to check your facts before posting incorrect statements.
Captain Wright
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:03 AM
captain Wright

TWS
You are exactly right. The prime responsibility of the Master is to ensure a safe and comfortable voyage for guests [and crew]. It is not to provide a thrill for the few. We carry many elderly passengers who are unsteady on their feet and do not wish to be subjected to a roller coaster ride.
Thank you for your comments
Captain Wright
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:31 PM
EH

Are passengers ever allowed to take a tour of the engine room? That's what my husband would love to see.
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:40 PM
CruisePal

Captain Wright is right on!!!!! Glad he visits the boards and clears up any misconceptions about safety and decisions of the master onboard. Glad to see that there are some who like the high seas. I was on QE2 in 50+ footers and it was truly an experience to remember.
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Passenger

I'm on the 10/11/04 QM2 eastbound trans-Atlantic. I booked a verandah. Given the time of year, was this category a waste of money? Also, having never been on a trans-Atlantic, will the ship slow during the daytime hours or does it maintain a certain speed throughout, assuming no inclement weather?
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM
First Mate

In November you will not be sunbathing on the balcony of course. Everyone will have a different opinion on whether a balcony is a good idea or not so you will not know the answer for yourself until the end of your crossing. I would not take a balcony on QE2 myself and I suspect my opinion might be the same of QM2 after I travel with her next month.

As for speed:
The ship will probably run at a fairly constant speed day and night, about 28knots I'd guess on an Eastbound. The reason for this mainly is because, as with a car, the faster you go, the more fuel you use. Steady speed is more efficient. The speed might vary between 25 and 30 knots overal depending on weather (the speed will be changed to try to run between storms instead of through them).

Jon
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Craig

Generally speaking, the ship will go slower during the day when the stabilizers are deployed. At night, when the stabilizers are retracted the ship will go faster.

Craig
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:43 PM
talia

knew i'd find you here
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:49 PM
talia

knew i'd find you here
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:51 PM
talia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Weather

knew i'd find you here
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:52 PM
talia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Transatlantic Weather

knew i'd find you here
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:21 PM
JW

On the QMII June 5 Southampton-NY cruise, what wind speed, air temperatures, precipitation and cloud ranges are to be expected?
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:17 PM
J.P. Evans

The North Atlantic can be unpredictable. I was on the Tandem Crossing and was hoping for a little rough weather. The crossing before mine had very rough seas for a couple days. I wanted to see what the QM2 was made for. But the seas were smooth the whole way. It was a little cold and we only had one day that had some sun. In June it could be anything. You'll just have to wait and see. That's part of the fun.

J.P.
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Olga Parkin

Hello everyone:

Captain Paul Wright is simply brilliant, my first crossing ever and was hoping to see some action on the seas, but of course I didn't. I truly miss that crossing and hope to book another one very soon. Absolutely beautiful ship.
Everyone has to go.
Olga Parkin