Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Richard Bronstein

Default QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

On 3/19/03 I received the new QM2 catalog. On 3/21 I called Cunard's reservation line in Miami to book for 2/01/04, 2 upper grade rooms for my family 1 for my wife and I, and one single for my 17 year old daughter. In was told that 1, there are no single cabins and I would have to pay double for daughter and 2, the 20% early booking discount was no longer available. I pointed out that ther catalog I received days before showed the discount's quite clearly.

We have been loyal to Cunard for over 30 years but, I think we are over it!
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

Richard,

I bet you're miffed about it. To add to that......

We ordered the QM2 brochure before it was released. Alas, it did not arrive before bookings opened. We booked two days after bookings opened, and we got the 20% discount/sailaway fare. A few days later they withdrew the discount for subsequent bookings as a result of 'higher than expected demand'. So we were lucky and grimaced at the thought of other passengers who would not get the discount.

It's bad publicity to withdraw discounts, but I bet that somewhere in the small print it says 'can be withdrawn at any time'.

I don't think it'll be long before they bring back the sailaway fares.

We always book sailaway fares, and if necessary turn our backs on full fares.

Single cabins are indeed not available on QM2, but you'd think that they'd put an incentive in place for customers booking two pax into one cabin and one pax into another rather than throw the 400% fare at you!!!!

Anyway, hope you can find another deal somewhere.

Best,

Pete
Old April 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Richard Bronstein

Default Re: Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

Thanks Pete!

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that this had happened to!
Old April 8th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

Well... problem #1 was calling Cunard directly to book. First, you paid more than you should (as you would booking directly with ANY cruise line)... and, second, as you know, booking QE2 or QM2 is a compex undertaiking. A t/a doing some volume with them is probably a better, and more value laden way to go.

I think "bait and switch" is a bit harsh... and certainly not a policy of Cunard.

Post Edited (04-08-03 20:48)
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:09 PM
C. R. Pettus

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

We will not be sailing with Cunard again either. We booked a Transatlantic round trip, paid our deposits, Cunard cancelled the trip for their convienence. We have not been able to get them to refund our deposits. Suppose that's not their policy either.
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM
C. R. Pettus

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

We will not be sailing with Cunard again either. We booked a Transatlantic round trip, paid our deposits, Cunard cancelled the trip for their convienence. We have not been able to get them to refund our deposits. Suppose that's not their policy either.
Old April 17th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QM-Bait and Switch tactics ?

Hey???

You booked and paid a deposit, and then Cunard (for whatever reason) cancelled your booking (and I assume that you were not past the final payment due date), and they refuse to pay back your deposit?

If you pay a deposit and then when the balance falls due and you do not pay the balance, then I can understand that the deposit is forfeited and the booking cancelled, but - up until that date - if they cancel the booking then surely you are entitled to your deposit back?

Look what happens when (for example) a cruise is cancelled owing to technical faults. Passengers are entitled to a refund and all sorts of 'goodies' on next bookings.

If as your posting suggests, the booking was cancelled for no apparent reason, then I would take them to court. That has to be theft!!!!!!!!!

Can you enlighten further please?

Pete