Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default QM 2 Entertainment

I am on the Jan 31st sailing of the QM2 and wondered if anyone's heard who will be the feature entertainment on board? I read in the paper that Dame Shirley Bassey is on the maiden voyage. I wonder if we will be lucky enough to have her on board for our sailing.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:50 PM
tiderunner

Default Re: QM 2 Entertainment

This seems to be the best kept secret....entertainment! Still looking to see if there is nightly shows by Ship Dance Company, Guest Comedians, Magic Acts, etc. We obviously enjoy the dining experience but also like somewhere to go after diner. I understand we can attend lectures, visit the stars, listen to "Dame" ...but we need more.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't expect anything big. I found the entertainment on board to be pretty standard. No difference from any other cruise I've been on. The Royal Court theatre is very spacious and does have a huge stage, but the entertainment didn't seem to have any real talent. It was very disappointing.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:18 AM
Thulewx

I was highly disappointed by the entertainment on the 12 Jan maiden voyage. Shirley Bassey was good - Reuben Studdard ok, but demographically all wrong, the rest were passable for a standard cruise ship in the Caribbean, but for THE maiden voyage - that was it. I was expecting Cunardival to spend a little more and get some REAL name entertainment...
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM
tiderunner

Default Re: Re: QM 2 Entertainment

Still trying to find out exactly took place for entertainment. Is there a dance company and do they perform several broadway type shows. To us "standard shows" means at least a few nights you come away saying "what a great show". Comedians, Magic Shows, jugglers, in addition to the dance company.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:56 AM
Thulewx

There is a show troupe or dance company on board and they have 3 different shows, but may not do all 3 on any given cruise. There are usually a couple musical acts (one on ours was a jazz/variety violinist/fiddler - very good), a magician (very amateurish), a juggler (yawn), other variety groups, a vocal group (acapella/barbershop, who wander the ship around dinner time and other times - also very good), and jazz trio in the chart room, lounge pianist/vocalists in the pub and Commodore lounges.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Thulewx

Almost forgot - a 10 piece band that performs in the Queen's lounge for dancing, and "Onyx," a dance/reggae/pop group that perform at the pool and in the disco G32 at night.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM
Passenger

I agree completely. Very low level of entertainment on Carnival Queen Mary.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
First Mate

A group of us, all under deposit for a QM2 T-A fall crossing, are most seriously considering cancelling before our final payment date. Considering the rates being charged in all categories, it just does not seem worth it.......balcony cabins with a view only of lifeboats - no indication that this is the case - you paid your money and took your chances - not good enough!!!

Service problems may well be resolved but what of the other shortfalls? Already fees are being imposed for one alternative dining spot - by September there may well be more. Haven't heard a really good word about entertainment and so go the complaints.

Very sad........not at all the 'Cunard' experience we were looking forward to.

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Hi Suki:
During QM2 maiden voyage I cancelled my April 25 booking on QE2. All, repeat All, of the past passengers I spoke with had varying degrees of displeasure with the Carnivalization of QE2. Afterseeing how Carnival runs the Carnival Queen Mary, I decided it was not worth it to risk major disappointment with QE2. I have sailed QE2 11 times since May of 1969 and always have loved her. Will retain the good memories and find a non-Carnival line to spend money on. If you go, hope all is well.
Jim.