Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Default QM2 - arriving in NY

Can any one advise me re transportation to LaGuardia Airport from the ship when we arrive in New York from Southampton - Cunard seems unwilling to handle such transfer unless we have them book our air - we don't need that additional expense as we have sufficient FF points. I've tried the Net but that seems geared to 'locals' well versed in the NY/NJ areas.

With added security, I would not consider a flight before 2 pm - does that seem reasonable? Also, any idea of cost (not a major factor) but more as a guide.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: QM2 - arriving in NY

Transfers via bus to the airports and Penn Station will be available on-board in the travel office. These cost more than taking a cab yourself, but you know that you will get on the bus and to the airport without queuing up for a taxi which can take a long time depending on where you are in the queue.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: QM2 - arriving in NY

Thank you Marc - I'd much prefer to to have a Cunard/CarnivalLine sponsored transfer to the Airport so will look into that. Seems to me it's more 'safe as a group' .

Do you know if this can only be arranged on board?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Suki,
Rollerdonna's hubby here. last August when we arrived back in New York on the Carnival Legend we were advised by a Cruise Rep. to go across the road from the pier and hail a taxi. This we did.Less than thirty minutes later we were checking in for our flight to Canada from LaGuardia. Fare-just 17dollars for the three of us.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Thank you very much, Rollerdonna's hubby - that's the kind of info I'm looking for - and thr price is right! - trouble is I'll need a porter (if you can find one!) to help with luggage - going across the road is probably not on for them. I'll certainly keep it in mind but think I'd feel better with something prearranged.

If my calculations are right, you must be joing the ship on Nov. 06 ENJOY!

Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Passenger

There is an on-board travel office where you can book the transfers. I have done both transfers and also transporation on my own. I agree that I always feel a bit more secure with the Cunard-arranged bus to Penn Station, or the airport in your case. I know hailing a cab yourself is a few bucks cheaper, but, oh my, after spending thousands for the crossing, why haggle over 10 bucks?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for this information.
Does anyone know if the Pursers Office arrange transfers to New York hotels if you have not booked with Cunard? I expect there may be a lot of passengers wanting taxis
Martin
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: QM2 - arriving in NY

Hello Martin - spoke with Cunard today - transfers from the ship upon arrival in New York to any airport can be arranged on board - cost about US25.00 - don't know about to hotels - maybe from the airport your hotel has a shuttle, check that out.

Old February 4th, 2004, 05:17 PM
First Mate

My thought exactly Martin! I'm a bit leery about London though - begrudge Cunard's hotel price but on the other hand you're sure of getting to the ship. Any advice to offer on that score?

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the advice.
If you want a less expensive hotel in London i suggest you Check out the Holiday Inn website (their Bloomsbury and Regents Park hotels are good and usually have offers) or the Thistle Hotel site (their hotels are of a similar standard)
Martin
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM
First Mate

I like Thistle Hotels and have frequently used Holiday Inns - however, getting to Southampton to join the ship then becomes the problem - doubt that Cunard does 'pick-up' and transfer so I'd have to go by train. Adding that all up, it's probably about the same as a 'Cunard overninght with transfer' - sometimes you just have to bit the bullet!

Old February 9th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Cunard runs a motorcoach from Victoria Bus station on sailing days. Ask your trabvel agent. It costs about $60 a person but is worth it. It gets you right to the pier -- hassle free. You check your luggage when arriving at the bus staion (dock #1) and the next time you see it, it is in your cabin!

Also, Cunard runs the Orient Express Train on sailing days. It leaves from London. About $250 but fun. Usually the lunch is all seafood so beware of you do not like seafood.