Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Noel

Default Maiden voyage passengers

Hi all, I would like comments from other maiden voyage passengers on this idea. We thought of a ten year aniversary cruise being created for a reunion of maiden voyage passengers. Would you go...
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Thulewx

Default Re: Maiden voyage passengers

If you're talking about the Queen Mary 2, I'd go again in a heartbeat. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and the receptions we received (especially in Las Palmas) were unforgettable (OK, except for Barbados which was completely forgettable).
Sure there were problems - service was poor the first couple days, and the disembarkation was a nightmare, but it WAS a maiden voyage!
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Maiden voyage passengers

Thulewx (---.thule.af.mil)
Date:   02-04-04 12:06

If you're talking about the Queen Mary 2,............disembarkation was a nightmare, but it WAS a maiden voyage!

Hey - would you care to elaborate on that, please?

Old February 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
lindansf

did you happen to check out the logo store on board? I am real curious to hear what is offered on the ship as my friend is taking the cruise from New York in May. Would appreciate a response.
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Thulewx

They had t-shirts, polo shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, pullover polar fleece shirts, hats, tote bags, backpacks, towels, clocks, keychains, spoons - all the typical stuff, plus crystal decanters/glasses, china from Queens Grill, not to mention all sorts of special books/posters in the bookstore.
Disembarkation was a nightmare because it took way too long - they hadn't planned for so much luggage and it was still in the hallways waiting for pickup at 8:30 on disembark morning - they said we'd start getting off by 9:30 and be done by noon - actually started around 10:45, ended around 4:30pm... Seemed like everyone had early flights and had to get off first, whether they did or not...
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Gail Simons

I enjoyed the experience of being on the maiden voyage but the service was very poor especially the first week. I felt that ship was too large, not sure if I would go on it again, but may well change my mind. I expect it will settle down to be a very fine ship. Yes disembarking was a nightmare!
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Was on Maiden Voyage and have sailed on all 4 Queens. A Cunard loyalist my entire life but I will not sail again. In fact cancelled my April 25 booking on QE2 midway across the Atlantic on QM2. Cant stand the Carnivalization process. They have cheapened Cunard beyond recognition. QM2 is physically magnificent but you have to like the Carnival way. Mass marketing the "first class experience" is not going to work. Much better to take a cheap Carnival cruise than an expensive Carnival/Cunard Cruise. The things that bug me were not due to maiden voyage jitters but are the Carnival way of nickle & dime charges for everything, endless buffet areas, poor entertainment (other than Shirley Bassey) and mediocre food. Expect to have liquor confiscated at the gangway and the hairy man contest in the near future. Silversea or Crystal looks good now. Any experience on either of these lines?
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Jim,

Your comments are very interesting. We have been on the QE2 in 1989 and were very aware of areas of the ship that were available to those passengers who paid top dollar for their staterooms. We do want to experience the QM2 ( and have a reservation for November 2004). We were hoping that this would be the return to the "Golden Age" of travel. Now I am concerned we are going to be greatly disappointed.

Best Regards,

Ken Thomas
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM
First Mate

Interesting, Jim! - Hubby and I did a QE2 ' Westbound Crossing' in 2000 - he was not really interested but did it for me - an X Brit - there was little, (to my mind) if anything, reminiscent of an original British ship 'Crossing' ( and I've done more than a few!) - (very distinct from ' cruising' ) - even back then things had been Carnival/Americanized.
I fear, sadly, from what I've been reading that the QM2 is much more so.

More to the point, I can't see what can be done about it. Another of our favorite Lines, Holland America, seems to be following the same path. Regrettably, but in a way thankfully, we're at a stage of life where we've experienced the best of 'Crossings' and 'Cruisings'. We can if need be, stay home and relive through pictures the wonderful trips we've taken.

Sea Days - the more the better!
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Maiden voyage passengers

They had t-shirts, polo shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, pullover polar fleece shirts, hats, tote bags, backpacks, towels, clocks, keychains, spoons - all the typical stuff, plus crystal decanters/glasses, china from Queens Grill, not to mention all sorts of special books/posters in the bookstore.
Disembarkation was a nightmare because it took way too long - they hadn't planned for so much luggage and it was still in the hallways waiting for pickup at 8:30 on disembark morning - they said we'd start getting off by 9:30 and be done by noon - actually started around 10:45, ended around 4:30pm... Seemed like everyone had early flights and had to get off first, whether they did or not...

Thule,
You forgot to mention those neat bottles of vodka with the QM2 on them.....
I think the service on the maiden caribbean voyage had improved. There was a handful of passengers who stay on for the carribean and they said the service had improved.
I would say that disembarkation was terrible the worst I've seen.
It started an hour late and unless you have a late flight you will be required to use self help disembarkation. I wish Cunard would have advised us to book our flights after 1pm, otherwise you must take your own luggage.
What really made me mad was the prices for the Cunard transfer to Ft. Lauderdale airport ($20.00 per person on a bus and $50.00 per person in a car) The fact that they wouldn't sell you a transfer you unless your flight left after 1pm was also outrageous. Clearly Cunard has anticipated it will take several hours for disembarkation to be completed and chooses not the notify thier passengers. When I told the staff at the pursers desk we had a12pm flight to Canada, they said no problem you will be off the ship by 10am. When I asked at the tour desk, they said you'd better use the self help disembarkation or contact your airline and make alternate arrangements.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Maiden voyage passengers

We also love the sea days the best. The real regret I have with Carnivalization is that there is no option for those great transatlantic crossings. Maybe some non Carnival line will see the void and get into transatlantics. We too have friends with long standing Holland America connections bemoaning the Carnivalization of that old line. We will try Crystal or Silversea for the next cruise. Will not give in to Carnival.
All the best for civilized quality cruises.