Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Default transportation from London to Southampton.

For Merrie -

I've been researching that too - unless you're willing (and able!) to drag your luggage all over the place.

I''ve about come to the conclusion that arranging Cunard transfers from Heath Row to Southampton is as good a bet as any. I checked in Google - sorry - I didn't bookmark anything.

You can of course go by train but there again, you're hauling luggage.

I've noted your suggestion re arrival in New York and transferring to LGA - I'll need that too.

Old February 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: transportation from London to Southampton.

I've always found the ships transport service to hotels, airports and the ship to be the best way to go and the least expensive. You don't have to drag your luggage, tehy do it for you.
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Re: Re: transportation from London to Southampton.

Cunard transport to Southampton was great! I highly recommend it. Very efficient and organized, and nice comfy buses, too.
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Michele De Angelis

I have checked on the net and found that National express coaches leave London from Victoria coach station (the same place that the Cunard coach leaves) at the same time and arrives in Southampton at the same time the only difference I can see is the price Cunard 39pound abd National exprees 12 pound, has anyone else tried it this way.
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:19 PM
First Mate

It sounds great !- getting to Victoria might be a problem from Heath Row and there's the luggage thing again! No idea how much porters in UK are tipped these days.

Chances are too that you will be travelling in rush hour. After an overnight flight I'm seldom at my best!

Some great help here but believe I'd end up taking Curnards offers. Afraid I'm beyond the age of being at my best with time changes and little sleep.

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Passenger

The nice thing about the Cunard Motorcoach from Victoria (albiet it is more expensive than Natioanl Express) is that once you arrive at Victoria, Cunard takes over. Cunard Reps take your luggage and the next time you see it is when you enter your cabin. The Cunard bus takes you right to the pier and the ticket counter.) Plus, you are traveling with other Cunard passengers which is sort of fun. One my favorite parts of the QE2 (and now QM2) experience is arriving at Victoria, seeing my fellow Cunard travelers, taking the bus, with its buzz of excitement, and then the queuing up at Southampton...
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:44 PM
TWS

If money is no object, then the Cunard coach transfer, hurts even more if there are two. National Express goes to a new Southampton terminal that is a 5-pound cab ride from the pier, that includes baggage and tip.

Train from Waterloo is about 22 pounds (75 minutes) and cab fare from station is about the same. At W'loo, third coach from rear (buffers) puts you at station exit for first bid on taxis in queue.
TWS
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:32 PM
First Mate

You people are the best! Appreciate all your answers, tips and suggestions.

Considering doing a QM2 Inaugural 'crossing' is a once in a lifetime experience, I think I'd go for broke and pay Cunard to look after all the bits and pieces - tips of course would be extra,(and I'd come prepared) but everything else would be Cunards' responsibility :-) You only live once!

I doubt that I'd ever consider a cruise on her - she's too big for most Caribbean ports and tendering is a real pain on any ship - besides, you can't do shore days and explore the ship - the latter is what interests me.

Love Sea Days!
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Gerard

Look, folks. You've booked a crossing on the QM2. Regardless of how "carnivalized" Cunard may be making it, you don't have to give in. A stretch limo from the dock to a London hotel costs about $500. Spring for it and relax. Enjoy.
Old February 29th, 2004, 03:27 PM
First Mate

Big grin!- easy for you to say - that's my week's spending money!

Actually Cunard transfers and an overnight in London comes out about the same price - I'll relax and enjoy like you say.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re orient express to southampton

hey guys...been going over the comments re transport from london to southampton, we are booked on the crossing sept 11 and are considerring the cunard connection from victoria on the orient express as opposed to the bus, quite a bit more pricey (usd219), but all part of the experience, has anyone else done this , it apparently ran for the QE2 as well in the past...
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
First Mate

Great way to go.....................if it's available! NOW is the time to make your reservation. We used it for the QE2 in 2000

Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks Suki, why do you say IF its available...I am getting conflicting info, my cunard agent says its not available, I have a friend on the same crossing who has booked it through an american agent, and cinard are not repsonding to my emails....
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
First Mate

I say 'IF' because Cunard's allocation of train seats may be sold out - ask your local TA to book through BritRail in the UK. Friends in California were told, back in December, that the train was not available but were successful in booking thru UK sources.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks suki...will get onto booking immediately ,.,..there 6 of us so want to make sure we can all travel together...!..roscoe