Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
sheilam

Default qm2 cabins

hi can any one help. I have booked cabin 5006 deck 5 it is two berths and twins for four to share.. I have seen lots of shots of cabins but none of this kind has any one see this cabin or can let me know on this email if they travel in this cabin in the near future many thanks sheila
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: qm2 cabins

Sheilam, I'm having the same problem - seems everyone travelled in 'top of the line cabins' or are unwilling to admit that they chose a less costly location! The cabin you mention is classified on the deckplan as being a standard oceanview - Cat. C2. Square Foot-wise, Cunard says they are all the same - I wonder!!!!!!!!! I do have a picture of what is supposed to be a Cat, C3 but have no idea how to post it here and, sad to say, I've no idea where I got it from - not a Cunard brochure for sure! Talking with a Cunard Cruise Counselor solves nothing - I really don't think they know any more than is printed.

From what I've read on other boards, these locations are being referred to as 'hull hole cabins' - Cat C3 on Deck #4 - Cat C2 on Deck #5 and Cat C1 on Deck 6 - pale blue Deck 4, pink Deck 5 and that sickly looking green on Deck 6 - they are all far forward or far aft. I gather there is open (stand and look) space off these cabin but it's not what could be called a 'balcony'. I'd say much depends on when you're traveling and if it's a 'crossing' or a 'cruise'.

I do wish Cunard would come clean and post some photographs or at least tell its Sales people to explain just what a passenger is getting into.

I'll try this Browse tab and see what happens - Ooooh! something went in but until I hit 'send' and await results, won't know if it worked............it didn't work and I don't have all the 'bumph' that's required - sorry

Old February 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: qm2 cabins

Hi,
All inside and outside cabins are a pretty standard size, similar to Holland America's cabins. I wouldn't reccomend that you put 4 adults in them. It would be just too crowded.
The hull balconies are B4 B5 & B6 categories. All of the C categories are outside cabins and DO NOT have a balcony.
Cabin 5006 does not have a balcony. You will have a window.
Bruce
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: qm2 cabins

Please - Can anyone explain the difference between Deluxe Balcony and Premium Balcony - is not a balcony a balcony - be it big or small?

According to the brochure, the letter prefix (e.g. "B") indicates the color used to show the deck on which the accommodation is located. Categories are a whole different ball game.

QUOTE -Deluxe B1 - B3 and Premium B4 - B7 : 252 sq.ft. with balcony.End QUOTE.

Standard amenities appear also to be the same.

To my mind, Cunard deck plans and cabin descriptions have always left much to be desired.

Old February 21st, 2004, 07:32 PM
Edward Reiner

I believe the premium balcony is constructed of glass panels with a wood railing while the deluxe balcony is an area outside the cabin, but contained within the hull of the ship with a cut-out for view/fresh air. The cabins on the higher decks have the nicer balconies.

Hope this helps, and enjoy!
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Thank you. Now that begins to make sense, I think! Actually on an early spring or fall/winter crossing, it would make sense.....I doubt that you could reasonably expect true balcony 'sit out' weather on the Atlantic. Being able to have some fresh air without trudging to an open deck makes sense.

I still think Cunard should be more specific.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Hi Sheilam,
When my husband booked a balcony cabin on the QM 2 for Nov. 6th we were under the impression the balcony would be the same as most other ships with glorious views of the sea even from our bed. How wrong we were! The cabin we have booked is 4.168 which is listed as a Premium Balcony. This means a patial view of the sea as the "balcony" has a metal enclosure with an open rectangular widow. We enquired through our agent about a Deluxe Balcony which has a clear unobstructed view of the sea and sky and was told it would cost over 800 dollars more to upgrade. We can't afford that but if we had known of this metal enclosure before we booked we may have changed our minds about a balcony cabin.
A very good website which covers the QM 2 and it's cabins in detail is :
www.Deluxe Cruises.com

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
EH

All-

There is a good site with additional photos of inside cabins and cabins with window only. One also shows a berth pulled down. I think the rooms for 4 might have one pull down berth and a small sofa bed.

It's at :

http://home.tiscali.nl/~t411310/indx.htm

It says " www.passengershipparade.com." so if the link above doesn't work for you maybe the other will.

Click on the QM2 photo and it will take you to the photos.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Thank you so much for posting Rollerdonna -

such detailed information/pictures is not available in the QM2 brochure or from it's agents - IT SHOULD BE!

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM
paulras

I just booked 4168 last week for the Nov. 26 QM2 and now I'm bummed about the metal enclosed balcony. That's not really a balcony in my opinion. Any idea if the (small) window is glass or open?

I'm thinking of changing to a regular outside cabin instead.
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:46 PM
barton

Paulras:

The cabin which you have booked is a so called "hull balcony". There is a sitting area outside the room with two lounge chairs and a small table. There is an open window in that balcony which is separated from the main cabin by a glass door. Cunard made those, so that trasatlantic passengers could enjoy being outside the cabin even in bad weather. We are booked on cabin #5096 on deck 5 for the March 16 cruise. We found out about this type of balcony about 2 weeks ago, and we were a little dissapointed. But I think, a balcony is still a balcony and it is in the QM2!. We feel very fortunate that we can be in that grreat ship. After all, I am not planning to be in the balcony a lot of time. The ship have plenty of deck space and beautiful areas to enjoy. I am determined to have a good time, and would not let the type of balcony bother me. However, if you must have a "real balcony", you are still in time to upgrade to a B1-B3 cabin for an extra $800. For me, it is not worth the extra money, and in our case the ship is now sold out.
You know what they say, you can see the glass half full or half empty. Hope this helps you a little.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:37 PM
John-Paul Evans

If you look at the deck plans for QM2 you will notice only a handfull of "outside" cabins. All the other so called "ouside" cabins that would be in the hull of other ships, Have a balcony on the QM2. In reality those hull balconies could have been just a porthole.

J.P.
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:32 PM
paulras

I guess the explanation that the "hulled balconies" were made to accomodate transatlantic runs more than the Caribbean makes sense. I just think Cunard's website should explain this fact. In fact, if you look at their Photo Gallery, there's only one picture under a folder called B1-B7 staterooms but it's really for B1-B3 with the pretty full balcony view, not the dismal hull view. And nowhere (that I can find) does the website state the differences between the two types of balconies.

That's a little misleading on Cunard's part especially when the majority of their itineraries look like non-transatlanic trips. But at least I'm glad this board exists and prepared me in advance. I'll still have a great time, I'm sure, but it would have really killed things for the first few days if I didn't know what I was really booking until I got on the ship.
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM
barton

Paulras: I feel exactly the same way. I am glad I found out now, and not when we walk into our cabin. I would be mad for the first day or two. True, the Cunard brochure is deceptive, since they give the impression that both the DeLuxe and the Premiun cabins are the same. I tried to send a message to Cunard through the "Contact Us" in their site, but there is a problem with the site, and I do not think they are getting the messages. I would like to tell them the way I feel about this matter. Hope the "balcony" is not dismal. At least we will have an open window to the ocean rather than a closed one. On the other hand, why would one spend a lot of time sitting in the balcony, when we can enjoy the whole beautiful ship? I am trying to see the good side of all this as you can see...
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:59 PM
EH

I feel the same way about how they are "disclosing" (can you tell I'm in the legal field) the staterooms and baconies, etc. They say the inside staterooms and C category are the same -194 sq ft. - and on one site the computerized pic looks exactly the same as the C cabins, but now I see from actual photos that it's a lot smaller. Better to find out before hand so as not to be disappointed when you get there.
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:19 PM
First Mate

From what I can determine, there are no 'regular' outside cabins on the QM2!

Studying the deck plans I've come up with 62 cabins which I guess, at a BIG stretch, could be called 'regular outside'. Some may have picture windows, others portholes.- check out Decks 4, 5 and 6. QM2 is a floating apartment building with a few greatly over priced 'ground floor 'units!

And don't forget the balcony cabins where you have a lifeboat in the centre of your picture window! Nowhere are fully or partially obstructed views mentioned.

I am well and truly disgusted with the false advertising of this ship and have mady my views know to Carnival/Cunard - won't do any good I'm sure but I feel better for having expressed my feelings.

I'll not be sailing her!

Old February 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Noel and Carole

My sister was in one of the hull window cabins on the maiden voyage, we had an inside cabin, her cabin was great, the hull window is large and there is no glass. it is totally open to the weather. I would stay in one of those. We had to take what was available on the maiden voyage. But we have sailed a lot, and to me a cabin in the middle of the ship and not to high up gives you a good sleep, not to much rockin' and a rollin'. I would have hated to be in the forward suite overlooking the bow while we crossed the Bay of Biscay, the ship at that part was moving up and down by about 35 feet on each swell. The rear two level suites would be nice...
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM
barton

Thank you Noel and Carole:
I am glad to hear form someone who has actually seen the hull balconies. We will be in one of those on deck 5 sailing March 16. Our cabin is towards the middle of the ship, so hopefully we won't have to much motion.
Otherwise, how did you enjoy the trip? Seen some criticism here about the food, the service, and the entertainment. Since you have salied a lot, you have a good basis for comparison. Would you give some more information about your experience? We have about 2 more weeks left before our trip, and we are very excited.
Thank you
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:06 PM
TXEAGLE

We were in a " hull balcony " cabin on deck 5 near stairwell "C" (good location) on the 31 JAN sailing and thought it was great. One advantage over the cabins on the upper decks is you can lean over the rail and see right down to the water. I like to watch the docking which is easy to see because you are at the hull level rather than back 20 feet. We don't think the Deluxe cabins are worth the extra cost. By the way we have sailed in "P" cat on QE 2 and that was worth the extra cost at the time. Enjoy your cruise.
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Apologies for belaboring the point, I'm still confused about these 'hull window cabins' - was your sister in one of the foreward cabins on Decks 4, 5 or 6? designated 'Standard Oceanview'. Is there, in fact , an area outside the cabin where you can stand/sit exposed to the elements?

Jeez! - wish picture posting on this board was less complicated!

Old February 27th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cabins on decks 4,5 and 6 are either :-

Hull Balcony - You have a patio door onto an open balcony and can sit/stand on your balcony which has metal all around - no glass facing the sea - which means that when you are lying on a chair you can only see the sky.

Ocean View - a window - which you cannot get through but you can (of course) see out.

Inside cabin - you have no window onto the sea. Atrium cabins have an inwards facing window.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pete.
Ps. We sailed QM2 in a P1 - deck 10 Stairway C and had guests one day from a deck 5 Hull balcony. They said that the main advantage (cabin wise) was a much larger bathroom, a walk-in wardrobe and the balcony was a bit bigger but offered a better view as a result of the glass facing the sea. Deck 10 is nicely above the lifeboats and has totally unrestricted views unless you go right aft or forward.
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM
barton

Suki:

If you want to see a good picture of a hull balcony go to : www,deluxecruises.com, click
on QM2 and then click on accommodations. Scroll down, and you will see what the balcony looks like from inside the cabin.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Pete: You mention Deck 10 restricted view right aft or forward. Could you explain please what restricts the view and how bad it is. We're in a P2 right forward, 10015. Appreciate any info.
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Charlie
If you look on the deck plans there is a slight bump out (decks 8-12) in the ship forward and aft. If your cabin is located beside these areas you will find the view to be a bit restricted. One other thing that might concern some people in these cabins is that on deck 11 directly under the bridge there is an observation deck with bridge wings where people can look back onto the first couple of balconies.
I think this might help clear up some of the quesitons about the cabins. Here is a link I found on another cruise message board. It has several photos of the QM2 taken in Rio. These are excellent photos(no they aren't mine) To help give you an idea about the decks, the lifeboats are just above the promenade deck(deck7) They block the views for cabins on deck 8. Deck 4 is just below the black section of the hull and decks 5 & 6 are in the white section.
Bruce

http://www.cruising.com.br/fotos/qm2.htm

Post Edited (02-27-04 18:31)
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
paulras

I sent an email a week or two ago to Cunard complaining about their lack of disclosure about the Hulled Balcony cabins. I never received a response but just noticed that their website is updated....slightly.

Take a look at the link for the balcony cabins: http://www.cunard.com/QM2/default.as...ccommodations1

Here's what the new verbiage under balconies states:
Deluxe Balcony Staterooms offer 248 sq. ft. and Premium Balcony Staterooms offer 269 sq. ft. including a panoramic hull balcony with loungers and tables. King-size bed may be converted to twins and a dual height coffee table may be used for in-suite dining. Thoughtful amenities include robes with matching slippers, a hairdryer, refrigerator, sage, data port, direct dial phone, nightly turndown service and 24 hour room service, and an interactive TV system.

Anyone notice the problem? One would think the Premium balcony cabin is much better than the more expensive Deluxe balcony. It's listed as bigger and the balcony is panoramic with loungers and tables. But I've read it's panoramic only if you stick your head out of the window and I'm sure the deluxe cabins also have loungers and tables.

Cunard did a poor job of explaining these cabins.
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

The premium balconies are slightly bigger and have teak chaises and furniture. The deluxe balconies have plastic or what some people call resin furniture and they do not offer the same amount of openess as a traditional balcony would.
If you prefer privacy I would sick with decks 4 - 6. If you want to lie in the sun then go for the higher priced balcony.
Oh, don't forget to take your own hairdryer. The ones provided are secured in top drawer of the desk and it's very difficult to use them.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj

Hello everyone,

This discussion about hull balconies was fascinating. I had called Cunard a few months ago about just this topic, and was lucky to get a person in costumer service who was very knowledgable and eager to help. We are booked on the October 11th crossing/Med cruise/crossing in a deck 5 hull cabin. Not only was I curious about the difference between hull and regular, but, I couldn't understand why the hull (premium) was larger than the non-hull (delux) cabin. As it turns out, the hull balconies add more square footage to the cabins than the regular glass balconies. What a surprise! So, the premium cabins are 269 sq. feet and the deluxe, although more costly, are only 248 sq. feet. Then I asked about the rendering of the small chair instead of a lounger on the balcony and they assured me that all the hull balconies had lounge chairs as do the regular balconies, and that the rendering was misleading in showing a small chair. They have to get some real photos in the brochures and on line, instead of old renderings. In short, I think having the hull balcony will be fine, because there will be a way to get fresh air into the room. And, should you want to step outside, you can do so without having to walk a 'mile' to get to a deck. And fresh air in a cabin is a very positive perk! Also, you can sit outside should you want to.....which is always fun.
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Noel and Carole

Hi Barton, we wish we were going back on board on the 16 March, we can't wait for our next trip on QM2. The ship is fantastic, it's also the only ship where you get a work out going to dinner. Take some very good walking shoes. Three times round the deck is 1.1 miles. We had a few slight problems in the Britannia, but some of the staff made up for that, and there was a bit of indifference from some of the staff in the Kings Court, but a few old faces from QE2 looked after us. All in all, considering it was the maiden voyage, it was hard to beat. Fortunately we took about 8 hours of video and about three hundred photos, and with some of the photos we got on the web we can re live the experience over and over. We met Stephen Payne (the architect) on board, which for us was a highlight as we had been watching the ship being built over the last two years and had seen him in many photos during construction. The QM2 is definitley a Liner and not a cruise ship. Enjpy your trip, we wish we were coming with you!
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: qm2 cabins

bstaples wrote:

"The deluxe balconies have plastic or what some people call resin furniture and they do not offer the same amount of openess as a traditional balcony would. "

Hello bstaples....

Do you mean that the more expensive 'deluxe' balconies have resin furniture....and are not as open as traditional balconies on other ships....OR did you mean for this to be a description of the less expensive hull balconies?

DJ
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: qm2 cabins

DJ
Sorry I got that backwards. Less expensive balcony cabins have the less expensive furniture on thier balcony. These "less expensive' cabins do however offer protection on those rainy days you can from time to time.
Bstaples