Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
Noel and Carole

Default Save Cunard from mediocrity

Well said Jim Avery..."The Carnivalization Process" . We first sailed on Cunard when it was part of Traffalgar House and the experience was incredible, but as much as we love the QE2 and the new QM2 we see the Cunard experience, because of Carnivalization, becoming very mediocre. It is becoming very nickle and dime, even charging for orange juice on room service, as you say.."what next"? So lets send a message...

SAVE CUNARD FROM MEDIOCRITY!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Save Cunard from mediocrity

Noel

When you say 'mediocrity' and refer to (for example) the orange juice, what else have you noticed that leads you to your opinion?

I'm a little bit concerned as well. I noticed some 'funnies' that led me to feel that 'this ship is not like QE2/Cunard'. Eg. Sometimes I was charged for orange juice. Sometimes I wasn't. There were no matches on board......... The pens used by the bar staff were ordinary bic biros and not the metal Cunard pens.

It could be though that Cunard were trying to avoid a tidal wave of 'losses'.

Perhaps we'll see how the ship develops over the next year to see if it goes in the QE2 direction or the Carnival direction.

Pete
Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Thulewx

The bar staff started with cunard pens - I "borrowed" a couple of them (he said guiltily), but everyone kept "borrowing" them - so many that they were losing between 50-100 a day, and bartenders had to resort to BICs just to keep them at the bar. Matches were left on the dock, along with many other items.
One of the things that bothered me was in the dining room - if you wanted medium-rare or medium-well, we were told, "Don't even think about it." HuH? Just rare, medium or well, please, and don't ask for something if it's not on the menu, like steak or potato.
Most of the problems I encountered though, I wrote off to maiden-blues... still loved the cruise...
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:44 PM
First Mate

ÊThulewx - somewhere along the line I think a distinction has to be made between a 'crossing' and a 'cruise' - seems to me the Maiden voyage was neither - passengers had money to spend and many may well have been 'status seekers' - being first to travel on the QM2 can be a great 'perk' for Classy Cocktail Party aspirants!

Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:44 PM
CruisePal

Yeah, maybe RCCL will make a tender offer.