Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Default Down on QM2

Alot of the posts that I have been reading have been down on the whole QM2 experience. For a first time cruiser will I be disappointed?
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Tom (and James)

Default Re: Down on QM2

Disappointed probably only in the areas of food, service and entertainment!
Otherwise, it should be great.
Thankfully, no ports of call, only the rough and ice filled North Atlantic!
We can't wait for the tumult of the crossing.
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Passenger

I ambooked on the 11/16 trip to Caribbean. Why do u say thankfully no ports of call?
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Tom (and James)

Default Re: Re: Down on QM2

Simply: we don't cruise. We only cross.
But best to you and have fun. It's a beautiful ship!
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Noel and Carole

Hey Mary 3645, don't listen to them, the QM2 is fantastic, unfortunately Carnival don't
understand how to run it, but WOW, we can't wait to get back on board. They try and run it like a hotel, and call you a guest, but you are a passenger on the most fabulous ship in the world. I can't work out their (carnival) mentality. We had a great time , there were a few hicups, but nothing that we couldn't sort out. Best place to be is in the spa pool on the back of deck 8 at 6am in the morning watching the sun rise...Have fun!
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:11 PM
EH

Hi Mary-

My husband and I are first time cruisers (crossers? We're doing the westbound transatlantic crossing in July and it seems there are rules about the language you use) and I have also been a little worried about the comments I've seen.

However, they seem to be from experienced cruisers who are making comparisons- and they don't like the way an "ocean liner" has been turned into a "Carnival Cruise." I think it's less formal than they're used to. Maybe if we go into this with our eyes open and no expectations from previous cruises we'll be just fine.

I'm interested in hearing other comments from anyone who has been on board. And remember, there haven't been many trips on the QM2 so far...
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
First Mate

EH - ?????????????

Quote: rules about the language you use?????????????.. End Quote

Explain please

Old February 26th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

dont listen too much to the whining eh, go in with your eyes open and youll have a fabulous experience.. as you said...there have not been many cruises yet so a little early to judge.. were booked southampton to new york sept 11 and cant wait..
roscoe
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Crossings and Cruises.

My wife and I have done both of these on Cunard and it's true - there is a difference.

Purely from the fact that a crossing is 6 days uniterrupted - no ports - we're all together now from beginning to end - at sea and it's all focus on the ship and it's passengers makes it different from 'a port a day' type of voyage.

So, the 'atmosphere' I would say is different. Not necessarily better or anything like that - just more 'cosy' maybe.

A cruise on the other hand is more action packed. When you have a port a day you end up racing around as opposed to taking each day at leisure. If you're on a long cruise that has maybe 4 days at sea before arriving at a port, you can get that 'crossing' feeling as you let yourself slow down to a leisurely pace.

Each has it's merits. And as for terminology - I think people shouuld call it whatever they're comfortable with. After all it's a vacation/holiday/cruise/crossing/vogage and it's great!!!!!

Pete :o)
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:20 PM
barton

I have never cruised on Carnival, so I do not know exactly what "Carnavalization" means
We have been on Holland America and Celebrity, and we have enjoyed it. I have seen some criticism of QM2 in this forum, but most of it seems to come from the same people. I wonder if they have some hidden agenda. On the other hand, there are those who are never happy with anything, and go on looking for faults and shortcomings in everything. Those will never be satisfied with the food, the service, the cleaness and tralala, tralala... Maybe they always dine in sumptous surroundings and have private butlers. I do not!! So, I know I will be very happy on this ship Carnavalistic or not.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Frank Black

Cruise-Addicts has a pretty negative review on the QM2.
Old February 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM
kroozlover

Yes, Frank I read the review and can say that it is true that you cannot please everyone.
If I listened to all the negativity in the world re cruise ships, hotels, movies, restaurants,
etc, I would have to live under my bed! The lady sounded as if nothign could please her.
I go with a happy attitude and believe me teh staff picks this up. After 30 cruises, I have always been happy and love those ships!
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Gerard

Default down on qm2?

My wife and I have crossed on the QE2 and are booked in a Q5 cabin on the maiden west-east crossing of the QM2 on April 25. True, some people can find fault with anything and it has a great deal to do with one's epectations. However, I am worried by the questions about the food; what's wrong with the food? The food was one of my favorite parts of the QE2. If the food is poor, then that really translates into a lousy trip.
Please tell me the food in Queens Grill was good.
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM
barton

I believe the criticism about the food has been with regard to the portions, not the quality of the food. Someone said, that the first night , the portions were rather small. The same individual said that they broght this up to the attention of the supervisor and that was taken care of .
Old February 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

i agree that the complaints about the food is a consideration....ive been on the qe2 several times and the food is one of the things I have enjoyed the most...especially the old chocolate buffet they used to have !>>>> the menu on the QM2 sounds limiting but there are more restaurants to choose from and I for one am going to go with an open mind, sept 11...transatlantic to NY....any one else planning on that crossing?
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Tom (and James)

Oh yes, the food in the Queen's Grill will be excellent, as befits First Class passengers.
Second class passengers in the Britannia may have to fend for themselves, as they did in the QE's Mauritania.
But: it's a crossing of rough and tumble sea!
Enjoy it!
We shall on 4/25!
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

heyhey gentle on the Mauritania....we had some great nights there and the one meal i had in the caronia was more than happy to go and rejoin the other slaves down there....
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Noel

I din't know where you get the idea that there is a first class and a second class on the QM2 or even the QE2, i think you must have dreamed that one up...
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:53 AM
barton

I think those guys talking about first class and second class passengers in the QE and the Mauretania, just want to talk in here . I think they just want to make others unhappy. Question if they have evern been on either ship. Maybe they are talking about their crossings on the Staten Island Ferry!
Old February 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Having been on the QE 2 and now the QM2 I have to say there is no real way to compare them. These are two totally different products in terms of cruising/transatlantic. As far as the food. I loved the food on the QE2, meals were always something that I would look forward to. On the QM2 I was a bit disappointed by the lack of variety in the Britannia menus. I 've always thought the soups on the QE2 were the best, somehow they don't have the same appeal. I agree the portions were small but Cunard is working hard to fix these problems.
The QM2 herself is something incredible. One day I overheard a couple talkling with an officer about how terrible the QM2 was compared to the QE 2 and as one of the officers "These are two totally different ships that were built 35 years apart and you will never be able to re-create the QE2" So if you are going on the QM2 expecting to see QE2 then YES you are going to be disappointed.
Cunard is trying to attract a much younger crowd to stay competitive , they have an obligation to their shareholders to make a profit.
Old February 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
barton

Well said bstaples. I have never been on the QE, so I will not be disappointed. For me, everything will be new and (luckly in this case), I have no basis for comparison. I also know, that the food there will be different form what I have at home every evening. Not that my wife is not a cook, but the meals will be just different. I do not know about the rest of the people on this board, but we do not dine on five stars (or four stars ) restaurants every evening. I am determined to enjoy the ship, food and all.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Good for you Barton. Me too. We canot wait until July for our trip on the QM2 to Eurpoe and intend to enjoy every minute. It is an experience that will only come once in our lifetime. We normally are landlubbers and love flying to our destinations. Have only cruised the caribean and Alaska with RCC.
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
paulras

Well I'm hoping the bad reviews are just because it's a new ship. It's hard to get a ship that size fully organized and up to speed right away. We're booked on the Nov. 26 Caribbean from NYC so hopefully all the bugs will be worked out.

I've never been on Cunard before but would be very happy if the QM2 matched the service & food of my Celebrity cruises. I'm not necessarily looking for a stuffy experience like I've heard about the old oceanliners but I expect excellent service and comfort. I've (unfortunately) been on Carnival too and would be extremely disappointed if QM2 turned out to be a Carnival in Cunard's clothing.

I'm already a little ticked that my B6 "balcony" cabin really isn't a balcony but an enclosed steel room with a porthole. But I'll live.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Craig

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the ship. Sure, there were some service issues but by the end of the two weeks, the service improved by leaps and bounds.

Queens Grill food ranged from 'okay' to 'superb'. Order the Beef Wellington, Steak Diane and the Rack of Lamb. These were spectacular!!

Some folks'll complain just to hear themselves talk; others will take a 'pollyanna' view and ignore obvious problems. Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it, but don't let anyone here skew your thinking about the ship. You'll find out for yourself.

The point of your trip should be to enjoy yourselves!!!

Craig
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Down on QM2

Hi ship lovers:
Have made comments on this subject before but must offer a bit more. Was a complete Cunard loyalist prior to QM2 Maiden voyage. Life aboard is truly Carnival. The past Celebrity passenger will most likely be disappointed in quality and service based on discussions with Celebrity alums we met on QM2. Also, many of the posts on this site that are vigorously defending QM2 and calling complainers "whiners" are from those who have yet to sail on her. The complaints are coming from passengers like me with direct experience and every single World Club member we met aboard had the same issues. the problem is not necessarily that the service is Carnivalized (have sailed Carnival twice) but that you are paying Cunard prices for it. If you like the current level of Cunard service, save a bunch, book Carnival, you know you will get a cheap fare, mediocre food, wait in lines, etc. If you read the beautiful QM2 brochure and believe you will get all you see in it you are heading for severe disappointment. The blindly devoted QM2 defenders need to sail aboard first and then offer their opinion. I truly hope you all have a great time. I would love to hear that Carnival realized their errors and released Cunard to resume the quality, style and service that I have loved for 53 of my 55 years. As for Queen Victoria, a Fincantieri Holland America newbuild reassigned to Cunard with a new smokestack and livery. Mr. Arison bought the company so he can name her anything he wishes but she will not be in the class of vessel as QM2 or QE2. Would have been nice to keep the Queen vessels liners and name QV Carmania, Caronia or some other name (Mauretania?).
All the best for your travels.
Jim.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
CruisePal

We're going o QM2 this saturday March 6th and I've already prepared myself to make this best of this trip. No, it was not the postings on this board that are preparing me for the worse, it's the bad press that I've been reading over and over again which seems to confirm the negative posts on this board. I sailed on QE2 a number of years ago for three months and it was an experience. I also think there's a rush to judgment based on the fact that Carnival is running the show and this may be true. It seems as though there was a rush to get this ship out of port without proper preparation in all areas of food quality, presentation and the service Cunarders experienced before the take over and build out of QM2. One has to think that it's the largest Ocean Liner in the world and with being the largest comes the headaches of management. This will either be a trip to remember or a trip to forget. Bigger does not always mean better and if Carnival does not shape up, fewer will ship out and then they might as well paint the QM2 purple and red and throw a Carnival name on the side of her. I went on one Canrival cruise in the last ten years, it was the first and definately the last. All that has been disclosed in the message boards sounds very Carnival to me. Okay, just my take on things, I'll let you know how it was when we get back.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
CruisePal

I guess life is good for the 200 passengers who get to eat in the Queens or Princess grills.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM
Tom (and James)

But of course: they are first class passengers!
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Re. So many bad press reviews.

Switch on your TV to a news channel and you'll see that most of the news is 'bad news'.

In so far as the media is concerned..... bad news is good news. Good news is no news.

Pete
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Passenger

I'm travelling on the March 16 sailing. I am definately going into this with alot of enthusiasm and I know that I will have a great cruise. I really have loved all the 6 cruises I've taken, including Carnival. But one thing that will be in the back of my mind for the entire trip will be that for what I paid for this balcony cabin, I could have gotten a suite or taken 2 cruises on another line. So if the service and food aren't at least a little better than my previous cruises, then what will be the point of going on QM2 again. I'm sure the ship will be big and beautiful, but that won't make the food taste better or the service issues go away. I'll certainly let everyone what I think when I get back.

Just my two cents!
Brad