Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tuxedo Rental

Hi,

Can anyone help in regards to info. on Tuxedo Rentals for QM 2.
On RCCL I know we had a tux rental that you ordered pre sailing and tux was ready when you got on board waiting in your cabin.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Re: Tuxedo Rental

I haven't looked out the price list for tux rental on Cunard but I do know they are very expensive compared to other lines.
I advise using your local rental outlet, usually they let you have the week for the same price as a weekend if you ask nicely.

The other choice is to buy of course.

Jon
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM
CruisePal

They have the Dunhill shop onboard I believe rents tuxedos. The shop is rather expensive and I would suggest you rent one at home and take it onboard with you.
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Frank Beachem

Peggy:

I traversed on the QE2 last year.

While the ship does operate a Tux rental service, it is quite costly.

Based on the number of formal dinners I needed one for, I bought one for the cruise. You can get a decent tux for about $300.00 and will last a long time and be good for a lot of different social affairs long after the cruise is over.

Enjoy your trip!

Best Regards,
Frank Beachem
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Rick Jones

Another option: Check the purchase price for a tux at your local tux rental. Prices are much less than new, and they have only been worn a few times. Usually, they will make free alterations for you.
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:06 PM
EH

A used tux can cost less than an inexpensive suit. I also heard that you can try ebay.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:35 PM
First Mate

In the UK try Slater's Menswear. I am sure they do dinner suits from about 100 and decent ones for about 200. Also a good range of evening shirts at particularaly good prices.

They don't have a website but here is a review link for them :
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Slaters_Menswear_Shop__5111218
I know they have shops in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and some other main cities. If you get the number for one shop, just phone up and find out if there is one near you.

Jon
Old April 9th, 2004, 02:03 PM
First Mate

I have just found out that Slaters do have a website : http://www.slatermenswear.com/ and 16 shops throughout the UK.

In store they advertise dinner suits from 59, don't know what they are though.

Jon
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Everyone !
I am becoming a little worried...exactly how costly is it to rent a tuxedo? My husband and I are sailing on the QE2 4/25 transatlantic and plan to travel in England and France afterward so we are trying to keep luggage to a minimum. One way to do that was for my husband to rent a tux but maybe that wasn't the best plan. With only 6 days left, if we need to get a used tux, we had better get about doing so. This is not only our first Cunard cruise, but our first ever cruise so we have no idea what to expect Any and all advice appreciated. Lyn
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:08 PM
J.P. Evans

Default Re: Re: Tuxedo Rental

I'm going to be on the QM2 the same time. I looked into renting a tux, since I would be out of the country till may 5th, the cost was about $200-250. Yuck I said. I went to Burlington Coat Factory and bought a tux(jacket and pants) for $100, shoes were $40 at a discount shoe store, my tux shirt was $10, cummberbund and tie was another $10, and cufflinks and studs were another $15. so for $175 I have my very own tux and I get to keep it. it might be an idea to buy one. If you go on another cruise you'll be ahead of the game.

J.P.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Hi,
My husband ended up purchasing a black used tux in excellent condition and a white dinner jacket, 2 pleated shirts, shoes and black cummerbund and tie ALL for $200 at a local tuxedo rental place in N.J.
All was done in 2 days
Alterations were free.

Peg
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks J.P. and Peg. I took your advice. First I called our Burlington Coat Factory store and they said that the only tux related item they had was a tuxedo shirt. (There isn't a big business here in Maine for tuxedos, I guess.) So then I called local tuxedo rental places and lo and behold, one of them has a tuxedo cruise rental package. We got the whole outfit for $94.00 and just bring it back in 3 weeks. Even if we decide to mail it back when we get to England, we will still be ahead of what it would have cost us to rent it on the QE2. Thanks again to you both and if anyone else reads this and is in the same boat (pun intended ;^) it might be to your advantage to find out if any of your local tuxedo rental places have a "cruise package ."
By the way, J.P., did you know that the QM2 and the QE2 are going to meet at the Statue of Liberty for some fireworks before we head out to sea? There was an article in the New York Times last Sunday. My camera is charging as I type this. If we have good weather, there should be some amazing photos. I am so excited already. Lyn
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM
J.P. Evans

Yep, I know that we are having a fireworks display. Cool hugh? I'm also going down to NY on thursday morning to see the QM2 come in. But I'm reading online that she is going to be late because of the bad storm on the current crossing. I seem to get different times.

J.P.
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Tuxedo Rental

Read in the Times that arrival will be 10AM due to the storms in N.Atlantic.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Beginner

haha I laughed when I saw how old this is, but it doesnt mean that another get together cant happen.

Old December 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Beginner

I just called Cunard, it is 85 dollars per day