Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Default Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

My husband and I will be sailing on july 5th...our first real cruise. Our only other ship experience was a week on a Coastal Steamer in Norway. I would love to hear from anyone who expects to be on this crossing. We will be on deck 12 in a B1 cabin.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

You're on what I call a real 'crossing' - at sea for 5 days - the world is something apart!

Each day is what you make it - you can mix and mingle, join in or opt out of acitivites; be as sociable or reclusive as you choose. In my experience, you find your own 'little world' - plans are made as you go along.

Unlike a cruise where the next port is the focus, next day is what you make it - you're surrounded by ocean - the ship is you destination. It's what attracts me to 'crossings' as opposed to cruises.

Enjoy :-) :-)

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

You're right and that is exactly what attracted us to a crossing and not a cruise.
Thanks for your insight.
June
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Passenger

You're right and that is exactly what attracted us to a crossing and not a cruise.
Thanks for your insight.
June
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your insight.
June
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your insight.
June
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:36 PM
D. Warren

We are on the July 5th crossing and are in a B-6 premium balcony. This too is our first cruise. We have a friend that currently is sailing on the QM2 and look forward to a first hand report. What should we expect in July as far as weather is concerned? We plan to spend some extra days in London interested in what to wear there.
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Passenger

We're interested in the weather too. Will be in Norway and staying over in London and just wonder what kinds of clothing we'll need for that cruise. I know it's close to the artic circle. Is the weather like an Alaskan trip in the summer?
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Passenger

For London, I am planning on summer, city clothing with a light jacket just in case.
As far as for the ship, also summer clothing with a sweater and or jacket for cooler days or nights. I hope I'm on target.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

Sounds right for London. That's kind of what I had planned too but I was worried about Norway, Amsterdam, Germany and the Netherlands. I know we won't be spending that much time on shore but I still want to be comfortable. Any ideas?
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

I believe that the same combo of clothing would work for the countries that you listed also. Several years ago we visited Stockholm at the end of June. It was terribly hot and we were told that we hit very unusual weather..nevertheless..it was hot. Remember the hot weather that Europe experienced last summer. You just never know and need to be prepared. Your trip sounds wonderful. We can't get away for more than 10 days so we'll visit London for 4 days after the crossing. That won't be a punishment either.
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Crossing?

I believe that the same combo of clothing would work for the countries that you listed also. Several years ago we visited Stockholm at the end of June. It was terribly hot and we were told that we hit very unusual weather..nevertheless..it was hot. Remember the hot weather that Europe experienced last summer. You just never know and need to be prepared. Your trip sounds wonderful. We can't get away for more than 10 days so we'll visit London for 4 days after the crossing. That won't be a punishment either.
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th Cross

We're staying over 4 days in London too. Hope to have time to chunnel over to Paris for a day trip. Only 103 days if you count today (but who's counting.) We are so looking forward to this trip of a lifetime. It was so hot last summer. I work for a German company and a lot of our colleagues relatives over there were suffering miserably because of no AC etc.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5th C

Paris for a day would be fabulous..why not, it's your trip of a lifetime. You can certainly do it in a day on your own or there are even companies who will make all the arrangements for you. You'll have time for some sightseeing and a wonderful lunch.
Of course, it would be great if you could spend more time, but it will certainly be a day to remember.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Paris for a day would be fabulous..why not, it's your trip of a lifetime. You can certainly do it in a day on your own or there are even companies who will make all the arrangements for you. You'll have time for some sightseeing and a wonderful lunch.
Of course, it would be great if you could spend more time, but it will certainly be a day to remember.
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Passenger

Old March 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the July 5

I've looked up a few of those companies on the internet and the Eurorail trip but being a novice I am afraid to just pick one without knowing more about it. Any ideas?
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for the Ju

Check this website: www.britainshrinkers.com

We used this company for a few excursions, several years ago and they were very professsional. We were very satisfied. I see that they offer at least one Paris excursion.
This would also be easy to be done on your on. Would you consider that? I would be glad to give you some suggestions if you're interested.
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone with plans for th

We would be willing to do that and any suggestions would be very welcome. You can respond via this thread or to my email address above. Whichever is easier. We do most everything on our own on our other trips but for some reason, this one scares me a little. We are staying at the Crown Plaza in London to give you a starting point and we won't be driving anywhere.
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:54 PM
wendy and alan hoffman

Hi
We will join you on the July 5 sailing from NY to Southhampton on the QM2. It is my second sailing as I crossed on the QM1 in the 60's.
We are from California. Where are you from?
wendy
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Passenger

We're from NYC which will be very easy for us. This is our first crossing and our first sailing on a large ship at all. It sounds wonderful for all of us. When will you get into NY?
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:55 AM
D. Warren

We are from Lenexa, Ks. (Johnson County) which is Metro Kansas City area.

We have been on the QM1 at the Long Beach museum, but this is our first Cruise.

The crossing the Atlantic had more appeal for us to be our first.
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Wendy, I saw that you had a message regarding bringing wine onboard. I've read (I don't have any personal experience) that people do bring wine to have in their cabins and that there is a $13 corkage fee in the dining rooms. We are thinking of bringing 2-3 of our favorite wines to have with dinner..wines we brought back from California. It's easy for us since we'll just get a taxi to the ship. Have you heard any other information about this?