Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Default Caviar

I read the menu's posted on QM2 Reviews and I am wondering where the caviar is?
Would that be a special request? Is there an extra charge?
Thanks
june
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:36 AM
CruisePal

Default Re: Caviar

Caviar was added as a garnish to a few dishes in the main dining room but was handed out lavishly at the Captain's party for return visitors and invited guests.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:17 PM
Tom (and James)

For those of us in Second or Third Class who lack a butler, how do we go about getting any caviar, absent an invitatioon to the party for swells?

Thanks and Good Sailing!
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:19 PM
First Mate

bring your own :-)
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:09 AM
Noel

I didn't know there was first, second and third class on board QM2. Silly me, i must have been pigging it out in the trough of third class in the Brittania, get a grip guys, and LEARN about Cunard!
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Passenger

Is caviar also served in the Princess Grill? Can other special dishes be ordered? Will be sailing in June and would appreciale any advice.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Caviar

Is caviar served in Britannia? I've read that Cunard is one of the worlds largest buyers of caviar.
June
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Tom (and James)

Thank you, Adam, for making very concrete the subtle (and not so subtle) class distinctions that exist not only on QM2 but everywhere -- yes, even in the U.S.

People do not want to think about class and their station -- especially if they are members of the dreaded "middle class."

Here's how I'd rank the Unspoken Classes on QM2:
First: Queens (Upper Upper)
First: Princess (Just Upper)
Second: Britannia with balconies or portholes
Third: Britannia Enclosed (no view at all)

I expect to get pilloried for this view as "undemocratic."
But that's the way life is, folks, whether at sea or on land.

Get over it.

But: Happy Sailing to All the Classes

(Just know your place and stay in it!)
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

goodnes...i hope with an attitude like that Tom (and James) arnt on any crossings i due...dont think I can stand up to their idea of a egalitarian society..........................
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Tom (and James)

Oops! I shouild have added -- before the barrage begins -- that we are unresentfully happy Third Class passengers (who just happen to love caviar), and we're pleased that it's offered free to those of a Higher Station.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

For lovers of caviar, just buy your own. You could buy a lot of caviar for the the 3000 difference between Princess and Queens grill.

Practical as ever !

As for the definition of third class, who needs a view anyway, how long do you spend in your cabin looking out the window? On QE2 they close the deadlight over your porthole if the weather looks dodgy, so you've paid for the view you don't end up getting.

The choice, for me at least, is to travel three times a year third class or once a year upper class. This year is a third class year.

Jon
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Caviar

That's the answer, I'm bringing money. Instead of paying thousands more for Queens Grill cabins, I'll buy caviar, shop at Hermes and indulge at Canyon Ranch. That sounds great to me.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
EH

I agree. There is too much of a price difference between the rooms with a balcony and those without- since I figure to be sleeping most of the time I'm in my room. I've stayed at a fabulous hotel in upstate NY for over 20 years now and I've learned to get the least expensive room because I'm not in it that much. Then I have more money to use for other things. I've never regretted it. Now, if money were no object... But not many of us can say that!
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Noel

Tom (and James), You have definitely got a problem, it's sad to see you have no ^@*&#% idea! Maybe you should try a different cruise line, where you will be able to be your class, whatever that is, and then you would stop trying to put everyone else into your class society...
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
EH

Why are people so sensitive about the "class" issue on the QM2? Granted- I'm sure that it's not like on the Titantic, with 1st, 2nd and Steerage,(and since I'm booked in an inside staterrom, I'm closer to "Steerage). I don't doubt that I'll be treated very well nonetheless. And personally, if I were booked in one of the Queen's or Princess Grill rooms and spent all that extra money, I'd expect some extra perks. So I don't think that Tom (and James) begrudge those people what they paid for, but on the other hand, they're saying don't pretend there isn't a little separation by class on board either.

Sorry- I don't mean to speak for anyone, but the tone is getting a little nasty here.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Tom (and James)

Thanks, EH.

You got it.
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM
EH

Sure- now if I could only spell. Sorry for all the typos in my posting, folks.
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

I have never noticed any issues of class on Cunard, I do believe people are having a little bit of a laugh in their postings here. The only time you know someones grade is when they are sitting at their dinner table.

I think the lowest grades are the best value on QE2 anyway and suspect the same of QM2 (I will not have a true opinion until my trip on her in three weeks time).

Cunard seem to have a few issues with quality and consistency of service. For quality just go Radisson and they have plenty of caviar flying arround.

Jon
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:19 PM
kroozlover

Jon, I agree with you. We were assigned Queens Grill on the QE2 and I believe that while we received excellent service, the same could be said for the other dining assignments. We were in an "S" suite on the Zuiderdam last summer and received many perks but the rest of the passengers had a great time also not even knowing they were missing the perks we received. We are in the Britannia next month on the QM2 and will observe if I feel "slighted" As far as caviar, as a New Yorker, I can buy it in numerous gourmet shops at a cost far less than the difference in category price on the QM2. My factor in choosing the category is based on price, quality of accomodations and itinerary. If I plan on spending much time in the stateroom, then that factor will enhance that aspect.
All the best.