Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:41 PM
EH

Default QM2 Rescue

Did anyone see on the news that a passenger had to be picked up by helicopter from the QM2. Diagnosis was internal bleeding and he needed to get to a hospital. I only saw a few seconds on TV this morning and couldn't find anything else on line.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: QM2 Rescue

Hi,
I was on the QM2 yesterday when the rescue was completed.
It was a musician from the QM 2 orchestra.
The evening before while at the second seating an announcement was made by Commodore Warrick asking for O neg. blood ( universal donor) for a patient.
Anyone wanting to donate blood needed their donor blood card to show they were O neg.
Very few passengers had their donor card including myself.
This was a wakeup call for me. I will ALWAYS make sure my donor card is in my wallet.
Out of 2600 passengers only one person whom was O neg. was able to donate blood since she had her donor card with her.
The 1600 crew had 20 members with O neg. . All of this info. with the crew is computerized and was easily accessible.
The patient stabilized and yesterday on a sunny afternoon in the Atlantic announcement was made that a sea helicopter rescue was to be made for this person.
Everyone watched as the helicopter pilot landed on the QM 2 successfully.

Prayers go out to the patient and his family.

Bobby Byrnes from N.J. a musician was playing in the Royal Court Theater after this launch was a success.
He asked each and everyone to give a moment of silence for this person

Peg
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:37 AM
SuiteCruiser31

I just got off the QM2 yesterday and I was on the voyage where the man was airlifted on Monday. It started Sunday night when the captain got on the PA and asked anyone with blood type O- to please come down to the medical center as they had a man that was in critical condition. Apparently there were several passengers that immediately went to donate blood.

When we got back to our cabin that night we looked on the navigation screen and noticed that we had changed course and were now headed straight for the Chessapeake Bay.

On Monday afternoon a Coast Guard plane started to circle the QM2 and the captain again got on the PA and announced that we had indead changed course and that a helicpopter would be arriving shortly to airlift the crew member off the ship and that the patient was now in stable condition. He asked for people not to go up on the deck as to not interfere with the rescue. I did go on deck and watched as the helicopter made a few attempts to hover abover the ship. They lowered a basket and placed the patient in it and then raised him up to the helicopter.

It was all very exciting and after the helicopter started to fly away, many of the passengers started to applaud as the doctor and the medical staff went back down the stairs.

Apparently the passenger was a band member and had started to bleed internally.
I have pictures being developed right now of the rescue and can try and send them to you.

Brian
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
EH

Thanks Peg and Brian. That's very interesting to me because both of my sons are professional musicians. Sure hope he is OK.