Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
lisab

Default first time cruiser

Hi there
I have booked a suprise cruse for my husbands 30th birthday,while on board we are also celebrating our wedding aniversary and i was wundering if anyone knew of any nice extras i could book.
We are booked on the new york - new york 13 night cruise going to the carribean this is my fist cruise and dont really know what to expect.
we are flying from london to new york and was woundering if anyone could tell me if possible is it worth booking any extra nights in the city
Sorry about the spelling
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Waff

Default Re: first time cruiser

Yes, definitely book some extra nights in NYC after the cruise. This way , you can prolong the wonderful cruise sensation for a little longer.

One reaches a level of relaxation on cruises that is difficult to attain in any other way. Maybe it's having to give up control to the ship's captain and crew, and so you simply relax. Or it could be the great food and service--very easy to get used to. Then there's the great quality time you get to spend with your spouse . Everyone is in a good mood on a cruise too. You'll have the time of your life.

I would think that the worst thing to do after a cruise is rush right home to work and all. There's certainly plenty to do in New York, and an endless number of great places to stay and eat.
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:43 AM
nycKruzer

As a native New Yorker, I HIGHLY recommend you fly a few days early and wallow in the wonders of the Capital of Mostly Everything. And, quite honestly, after London, New York will seem like a bargain. Stay at one of sweet vintage boutique hotels like the Stanhope or the Lowell...eat at our awesome hidden away outdoors eateries like Gigino at the foot of the Battery in lower Manhattan...it's the front lawn to the Statue of Liberty. See Wicked, Hairspray or Avenue Q on Broadway. Now, I know I am prejudiced, and New York has its detractors, but do not miss the opportunity of a lifetime.
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:05 PM
lisab

Default Re: Re: first time cruiser

Thanks
I think that i will try to stay a little longer........we have 18 month old twins and hence between them and work do not get alot of time to relax. could you recommend a nice hotel to stay at, i know that i can book the sherraton, warldrf and st regis through cunard are any of these any good?
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Merrie

There are great small midtown hotels like the Kimberly (only 40 rooms but they are all like small apartments) Some even have fireplaces in the living rooms....
best, M
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Richard JM Smith

Dear Lisa,

Having stayed in New York 3 times now (from Bristol, United Kingdom), on the last trip when travelled on QE2 W/bound to New York I stayed at the New York Helmsley Hotel that whilst quite good was no match for the Waldorf Astoria where I had stayed on my previous 2 visits to the city. I did the Cunard inc. transfers package and it was good value so the NY Helsmley Hotel was comfortable & good value - the breakfast here - buffet style - was very good I have to admit. Having said this the Waldorf is magnificent with its spacious bedrooms & marble bathrooms - and endless choice of bars & restaurants - my favourites being the Bull & Bear bar on the lower ground floor & the Cocktail Terrace where the cocktails are sublime! It's just like an extension of the cruise staying there & I only wish I'd stayed there for my third visit to NYC last April. I plan to visit NYC next year on QM2 & will certainly stay there this time - one thing to note is re current 'special offers' it's probably better to book directly with the WAstoria & not wih Cunard this year.

Kind Rgs

RJMS74
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:12 PM
lisab

Thanks for the above info i'm not sure if i can book the hotel independantly as i have flights provided by cunard.
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:11 PM
EH

If anyone has a few extra days in NY, and doesn't necessarily want to stay in the city, there is a place about 90 minutes (by car) away called Lake Mohonk Mountain House that is unbelievably beautiful. There is train service to Poughkeepsie and you can arrange to be picked up. Check out their website a www.mohonk.com. All food is included in the price.
Old June 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Re: first time cruiser

you can always book your accommadation independantly as this way you will save $$$ i would recommend you check on line for the best rates, that is what we now do. The exchange rate is so kind to us at the moment it would be a shame to miss i (just think of all those extra shoes you can pick up with your savings ) have a fab time, i'mm sure you will and give my regards to sinead (i believe she's in todd english now)