Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Becky H
Default 48 Hours to go

Hello to all those who have graciously answered many of my questions recently. We are all packed and ready to depart for NYC tomorrow and embark Saturday at 12:30P!!! I truly expect this to be a glorious trip and will report when we return.

Again, thanks to all who have provided information.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Doris C.

Default Re: 48 Hours to go

Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy every minute of it!
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:00 AM
CruiseShelly

Better check with Cunard before you arrive at pier -- there's been some passenger emergency off Puerto Rico with an emergency airlift among other interesting developments, so the QM2 might not make it back to NYC on time.
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Hi Cruiseshelly,

Where did you find this information about the Puerto Rico emergency, etc? I am having my travel agenda call right now to get details.

B
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:39 PM
momo

Default Re: Re: 48 Hours to go

There are updates regarding it on the Cruise critic page (under the Cunard message boards). See topics Man Overboard and QM2 to NYC (or something very close to both of them). Mo
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Dear Mo,

Thanks for the info I checked those messages and found it very interesting. Cunard tells my travel agent that it will not affect the arrival of the ship. I would love to have another update directly from someone on board. I assume that since they have until Saturday morning to make NYC, it is possible to go all speed and make docking close to scheduled arrival time. If anyone hears more, please do tell.

Bec
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:16 PM
CruiseShelly

We'll keep you posted. It's 3:14PM EST and there's no new postings yet from this morning. I am sure the QM2 will do her best to make it into port on time. On them May 10 sailing we had to divert to Norfolk VA to have a sick crewmember airlifted off, then headed back on course to make NYC on time, which we did.
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:46 PM
momo

I was on the same sailing as Shelly and we did make it back to NYC on time (Shelly, I thought that airlift was enough, I'm very glad we did not have to experience a "man overboard" situation as well. Becky, I would suggest that you check the web page often for updates (it also gets busier after people get out of work so after 5pm EST there might be more info). No matter when you leave, you'll still have an amazing trip. She is a beautiful ship. Please have a pre-dinner cocktail for me in the Commodore Club (my favorite room on the ship - don't miss it!!!) Go right before sunset and enjoy the view! - Mo
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Captain Wright

Becky
Yes, we are running a little late due to unavoidable events posted elsewhere. We are sailing at full speed to make best time of arrival New York. I have told our guests on here about 12 noon docking in New York. If we can improve on that we will. There, you have it straight from the horses mouth!! We look forward to welcoming you on board QM2
Best rgds
Captain Paul Wright
Master QM2
p.s. I am afraid I cannot answer any more questions.
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Doris C.

I just want to say, Captain Wright...you are awesome!
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Dear Captain Wright,

I hope you will pardon me for being astounded and somewhat skeptical to receive a reply from you. If this is legitimate, Cunard just went WAY up in my admiration. And, I hope that we have the opportunity to shake your hand.

We will keep in touch with the Cunard office for adjusted boarding time. We were scheduled for 12:30P but are now told 6:00PM. (Princess Grill)

Thank you very much for taking the time to reassure me and extending a welcome aboard!

Becky
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Captain Wright

Its no hoax Becky, I do visit these boards occasionally. Its great for customer feedback.
Look forward to welcoming you on board.
Best wishes
Captain Paul Wright
Master QM2
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Dear Captain Wright,

Thank you so much for your gracious reply. We are very much looking forward to the crossing and will not let a little delay detract from what I expect to be a wonderful trip aboard a beautiful oceanliner.

We will see you Saturday night!

Warmest regards,

Becky
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
NYCKruzer

On board QM2 at 29.1 knots ( according to the in cabin global positional satellite screen on our TV)with full intentional speed towards NYC. I just want to reiterate what others have said. Our own Capt Wright is a true professional and a gentleman. My lesson from the incidents of the last couple days is that we have a true community onboard QM2. Every person counts and makes a difference. Talk about integrity! Capt Wright honors the dignity of the human spirit. What else would you expect from the master of the world's greatest ocean liner? We will be late alongside in New York (sorry for those of you who will embark late tomorrow) but you will have a great experience, an awesome team to serve you , and the lovliest of ships.
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:46 AM
CruiseShelly

What's the official report on what has happened?
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Captain Wright

I dont know where you are on board NYCKruzer but thank you for your very kind comments. I have to extend my appreciation toa super complement of guests on board this cruise, you have all been so very understanding. For those of you joining tomorrow ETA at the dock 1130hrs. Embarkation presently scheduled for 1800hrs but if we can advance that we will. For Becky H we will do our best to find you a very smooth crossing.......
Captain Paul Wright
Master QM2
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Waff

Becky--

You have a wonderful time. I'm so glad the delays you're experiencing really won't upset your trip. Please write about your adventure when you returned.

Not all ship-delay stories have such a happy ending. Back in 1992, my brother from California was staying at my house in Connecticut for a few days before taking the QE2 on a transatlantic crossing. The night before his departure, the QE2 went aground in Long Island Sound, and--after several days of uncertainty and ambiguous messages from Cunard--his trip was cancelled!! He was heartbroken, and so he returned to California. A full year passed before he took the QE2 trip, and he loved it.
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:33 PM
lainiede

Well let me tell you guys I was on this cruise and I have never been amogst such professionals. Its a sad chain of events that happened starting with the delay in St Thomas then the overboard situation then the medical emergency. I was a little girl of 10 when I started crossing on the QE2 to England with my grandmother who also sailed over to the US on the Original Queen Mary. I always remember how I felt getting off a Cunard ship and this time it was no different. This ship is amazing the staff is well fantastic there is no words that I can use. I had the pleasure of meeting the Captain and I walked right up to him and starting talking because I've never met a stranger and I might add I don't think he has either! I told him about my grandmother and he told me to keep the tickets because maybe someday they'd be worth something. I met such nice people on this ship and I would reccommend it in any circumstances. This was my 32nd cruise and the best one I've had by far since I last sailed QE2 back in 1996. Keep up the good work Captain Wright. You have a great crew and a beautiful ship. A lot to be proud of. I can only imagine how stressful it must have been for the staff with all the commotion but everyone handled themselves with such professionalism. I will be back! I think I will be doing my honeymoon next year on QM2! Best wishes and until next time!!!!!!!!
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
NJmatt

Captain Wright is a credit to Cunard. I was on the 6/11 sailing and he did an outstanding job of keeping the passengers updated to the minute with everything that was going on with the cruise.
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Well, we had an amazing, smooth, lovely crossing. The delay allowed us to sail out of NY harbor after dark and it was beautiful. A fireboat actually was there by the Statue of Liberty with a water salute!

Captain Wright is certainly all the wonderful things folks have said about him here on this website. When we met, he said "I told you we would get here! He was very personable and gracious and certainly a credit to Cunard.

The ship is magnificent and an unforgettable experience. We very much enjoyed the Princess Grill suite and would choose this accommodation again.

Thank very much to everyone who sent good wishes during the delay "crisis". Cruise enthusiasts are a special group of people which truly make up a family.

Becky H
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:07 AM
Gabriel

Hi Becky:

Welcome home!

Please share more about your Princess-grade experience,. How was your cabin? Did you go to any of the teas? Did the PG restaurant seem more formal than the Brittania Room?

How did the embarkation/disembarkation processes go? Did you visit the spa?

Enjoy the post-cruise euphoria!