Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2004, 09:14 AM
MARY LOBUE

Default Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUNNARD!!

JOHNNY
YOUR TITLE SAYS IT ALL. YOU HAVE 27 REPLIES ADDED TO YOUR CREDIT. WE HAVE TO KEEP THIS ON TOP SO CUNARD KNOWS THEY HAVE TO IMPROVE.
ONE GOOD COMMENT IS THE QUEEN HAS THE BEST HAMBURGERS AT SEA. THAT YOUNG ENGIISH COOK IN THE LIDO BUFFET WORKS VERY HARD AND HAS A FANTASTIC PERSONALITY. I WILL PAY MY $5,000 IN (RETURNING) TWO YEARS TO HAVE THE HAMBURGERS AGAIN.
PS THE LINE IS ALWAYS LONG FOR THIS STATION...
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:09 PM
First Mate

You folks who want to sue Cunard have got to be kidding! What price is your safety worth? If Cunard was not able to stay in New York harbor, it seems to be that they did the best they could under trying circumstances. It is possible tha tthey didn't notify you for the reasons stated in some of the posts, but it is also possible they were trying to negotiate a way to stay in the harbor, and still ensure your safety. I wonder if Cunard would of stayed in the harbor, and god forbid, a terrorist incident would of happened how many of you would then be threatening law suits because you and your familieis were put in danger. This is the reality of things in the post 9/11 world.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Chris Lipscomb

I sailed out on the QM2 on 5th June from Southampton to New York having looked forward to the trip for nearly 12 months. What a disappointment! Having travelled twice before on the QE2 and once on the Caronia, I can honestly say that the QM2 has the worst service of the three and is yet to prove herself worthy of three star status let alone a five star rating. Whilst this may not reflect the expereinece of those in the grill room accommodation, I believe that most of my fellow travellers in the Britannia dining room felt the same way.

The food was mediocre and definately felt mass catering. The service was haphazard, inconsistent and at times non existant. Although many aspects of the ship are beautiful such as the main lobby areas, the Queens Room and theatres, others are less so. The Winter Garden in particular looked tacky and cheap.
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:09 AM
Johnny G

Default Re: Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUNNARD

Dalech

It is not the aspect of whether Cubrad acted in the interest of the security of its passangers. It is that Cunrad should have afforded the passangers an option if they wanted to sail and watch the fireworks in Newport.

It seems to me that somehow you believe that the QM2 could sail to Newport undetected. That assumption is far reaching. Some of us who were born in NYC and whose grandparents came to New York through Ellis Island were really looking forward to being in the harbor. There is also the prestige of being in New York harbor during their fireworks.

Cunard should have at least offered an option or a partial refund. Cunard just didn't want to tell passengers because they would cancel, and they had a right to cancel.

If Cunard did not have the great reputation it "did" people would not be as upset as they appear to be.
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:24 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

chris,
i can not belive that you found the winter garden to be cheap and tacky. the queens room has been consistently rated as one of the most beautiful rooms afloat. the public areas are just gorgeous when compared to the mass market same decor different ship that is so present these days. i'm also sorry that you found bad service, i really cannot fault the service we had onboard, we were in a D4! i think a lot of the problems stem from bandwaggoning, i'm not saying this about your post at all, but a lot of people who have a slight problem blow it out of all proportion just so they can grind when they get back. i'll do a new review when i get back after my next trip.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Hi Johnny G,

Thanks for responding. I now have a better understnading for what you and the rest of the folks are upset about. I would like to address your points.

In terms of what Cunard should of done, I guess that depends on when they knew for sure of the change. I have read on this board an other boards various amounts of time before the cruise. I agree that if they had more than a few days notice they should of made an attempt to nofify you. At the same time, what if they were wanred by homeland security to they had to go somewhere else, and were told not to tell the passengers? I know this is just speculation, but it is possible.

I don't belive that the QM2 could sail undetected, but if there was some sort of terrorist incident planned that could throw off all of the arrangements.

I thought that Cunard paid for the show in Newport. Doesn't that count as a partial refund?

Now, I realize that you had a bad experience, and I can think of a million ways that Cunard could of handled it better, but does it really take a class action law suit to settle your differences with them? That's all I am asking really.

Post Edited (07-31-04 23:14)

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:12 AM
Passenger

Post Edited (08-02-04 04:38)
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Chris Lipscomb

Hi,
My comments relate to the Winter Garden not the Queens Room which is lovely. The decor on the QM2 is generally very good but spoilt by some lapses in taste which give the ship in parts a little bit of a disjointed feel. Having sailed on the QE2 and the Caronia a number of times, I feel my views are quite balanced. I wanted to love the QM2 but sadly ended up feeling indifferent towards it.

From my conversations with fellow passengers I was not alone.

Cheers

Chris
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUN

On our july 5th crossing we had a conversation with the staff captain about the July 4th problem. He and the Cunard staff were furious about the incident. Cunard fully expected to be in NY harbor as planned until, on very, very short notice, they were told they had to change the plans. Attempts at negotiations further delayed the official notice. As soon as the decision became final, Cunard scurried to make other plans and notify passengers.

This all happened at the 11th hour. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control. Cunard had no choice but to make alternate plans. I can understand people feeling dissapointed but many simply made the best out of the situation.

My husband and I were in Hawaii on Sept. 11th, This was our first trip to Hawaii and we had plans to fly to 3 islands during our vacation. Needless to say that did not happen. All airports were closed so we were forced to stay put on the Big Island. It was not a tragedy for us. We were not in the World Trade Center. Our family and friends were all safe (we live in NYC) and we ended up stranded in paradise.

I think we need to keep things in perspective. Newport was not a tragedy and Cunard did what they could to make the best of a bad situation.
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:26 PM
J.P. Evans

"I think we need to keep things in perspective. Newport was not a tragedy and Cunard did what they could to make the best of a bad situation"

I don't think I've could of said it better myself June. I keep reading the bad reviews about the QM2. I wonder if it's the person, more so than the ship. I sailed on the
Tandem Crossing. I fell in love with the QM2. I think the departure from NY on April 25th with the QE2 and the fireworks, was maybe the single most memorable event of my life "so far" It felt like the opening night of the opera and "we" were the star. ALL of NY was there to see it. Just spectacular!!!!!! I was pleasantly suprised by my QM2 experience. I didn't know what to expect, hearing all the bad press from the maiden vayage up to my sailing. Sure maybe Cunard needs to iron things out, maybe not. I didn't experience the "ship from hell" Even though this was my first "crossing" I've been cruising since I was 19. My first was on the Homeric. Cruising has changed since 1986. Service is different. Anyone who thinks a ship that holds 3,000 passengers can deliver the same service as a ship with 800 is living in a fantasy world. Ships have much more amenities to offer than in the past. "we" the people created the mega ship. If the demand was not there the QM2 would not of been built. I'm glad she was built. The QM2 has all a true ocean liner can be. I felt like I was on a glamourous ship from the past. It was a dream come true. Can't wait to sail the QM2 again. Which I'm going to do on March 9th a 8-day Caribbean cruise from NY.

J.P.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
MARch11

Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
J.P. Evans

I just returned from the March 9th cruise on the QM2. Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful!!
A guy at my table was on the July 4th cruise. He had the total opposite feeling about missing NYC harbor on the 4th. He said that going to Newport was the best! I guess it's all how you look at things.

J.P.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Passenger

I have been reading these boards for a few months now and have to finally speak up. If those of you who spend and complain about spending your thousands and thousands of dollars don't like QM2 then rent a private yacht. Obviously you can afford it. I personally know you can do it for the same amount of money and will be catered to in every way and more, and will get everything to your liking. If you choose to travel on a public ocean liner, then you have to deal with, and put up with, all that comes with it, including us, and all the staff that goes along with it.

Post Edited (03-23-05 20:38)
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
****charlotte****

i dont no wat u are on about i just came off the QM2 a few weeks ago and i to dined in the britannia restaurant and both my waiters and the wine waitress were great! they cartered for your every need and you didnt need to do anything. also you must take into accounts that they dont get payed all that much or maybe that they just didnt like you! lol (joking) i know for a fact that all the crew that work for cunard work extremly hard as my sister works onboard.

but if thats your opinion then fair enough im just expressing mine.
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:09 AM
kvr

They need to get rid of the old outdated class system. I love to talk cruises with anyone, and most seem to have the same opinion as to Cunnard, they wont go because of the class system.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM
J.P. Evans

The Queen Mary doesn't feel like it has a "class system" the only 3 rooms that are off limits are the Queens and Princess Grills and the Queen Grill Lounge. And a very small deck. All those places are out of the way. Except for those all the other lounges and restaurants are accessible to everyone. I don't know why anyone would dish Cunard because of the "class system" It 's not like the ocean liners of yesterday.

J.P.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
intlflyer

We, too find ourselves embrolied in a controversy with Cunard over the sudden rescinding by them of a rebooking offer.
Our travel agency (Vacations To Go in Houston) blames Cunard, and Cunard blames them, etc. In the meantime we are out many hundreds of dollars as well as the cruise we had looked forward to.
Cunard has stonewalled, given as many different excuses as they have personnel,
accused us of lying to our agent (about a conversation that was actually notated in Cunard's own history of our booking!), etc etc. We are not onyl very disappointed but very angry.
If anyone can suggest the name of someone to contact about this that may be able to get justice done for us, we would sure appreciate the tip.
For anyone thinking of booking on Cunard: As long as things go as planned you might be OK, but if something goes wrong and you need their help, WATCH OUT!
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:57 PM
jeff M

Hello

We are n the 7/17 eastbound crossing

How was the weather onyou rtrip? The seas?
Was the ship stable?

Thanks. We're a bit concerned.

Jeff