Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Johnny G

Default QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUNNARD!!

We sailed on the July 4th 2004 4 cruise to nowhere. The ship is beutiful. The service in the Britania was so bad I almost could not belive it. I am writing a letter of complaint to Cunard with more specifics and will attach the detailed letter so all can read.

I still am somewhat shocked by the lack of coordination when it came to dining service especially in the Britania. We attended with a few other couples who also paid a fair amount of money and they to were very dissatisfied.

I will never sail on another Cunard ship again and I strongly recommend to anyone thinking of the QM-2 not to waste your money your on the ship.

Can anyone tell me where and to whom I should address my complaint to?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUNNARD!!

Take this for what it is worth, but your message will be taken more seriously if you check for spelling and grammar errors. What was so bad, by the way?
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Doris C.

Some say it's "magical." Others say they would never sail her again. Hmmm. Makes me think it has something to do with OUR personalities...

Nothing's perfect. Keep an open mind, and you will love the experience.
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:54 AM
KATHERINE M.

Truly believe that service in Britannia is in direct correlation with your particular server.

Our waiter was not terrible - but certainly not up to the Cunard standard we had experienced in past cruises. Wouldn't have been surprised to find out that he was pulled from a Carnival ship - only base that on one experience with Carnival.

Placement of your table in Britannia might also have something to do with it. Haven't heard a bad review from anyone who was in close proximity of Captain's table on first level.

Would certainly sail on QM2 again, but there are glitches to be worked out. We had a wonderful time.

Liz
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Gabriel

Default Re: Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUNNARD

In my QM2 experience, service in the Britannia was poor the first night, but improved each night afterwards.

The service during lunch was mediocre at best. One day, they didn't open the upper level, and many people had to wait in line a long time.

I agree that sometimes, it seemed that no one was in charge--that applies also to the spa, to the shops, to the travel office, etc., as much as the restaurant--a good manager would know where to concentrate the "human resources" (they should hire my wife for a week!!). I think that Johnny G. is correct in asserting that coordination is a problem, and this could ultimately cost Cunard passengers. Absolutely none of these problems existed on the Caronia when I sailed on it last year.

It is completely understandable to resent paying major money for a trip when the staff seems undertrained and the service slipshod. The lack-of-experience excuse is not really valid. It's not as though Cunard is charging passengers less until they get it together!

But, I should add, I tried to put the negatives out of my head and focus on what was wonderful on the trip. Just seeing my wife in her beautiful formal dress made the whole cruise worthwhile! And I already have another QM2cruise planned for January (in Princess accommodations).
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

sorry, i don't agree with the original post, sailed in march and had a fantastic time, never had any problems with service. enjoyed it so much were on the qm2 again in august.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Pat Jonson

We surely hate to hear this, as we are taking our first trip on the QM2 on July 28. It isn't a cheap vacation, and we have been looking forward to it. Hopefully we will read other contrasting opinions before we go!
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Gabriel

Please don't fret!

My QM2 trip was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Johnny's note was based on a "trip-to-nowhere" cruise, and I think on them, the staff isn't quite as fired up as they are on a trans-Atlantic.

Visit the observation deck on Deck 11, and have a drink for me!
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Yeoman

hey pat leave me a good seat in the golden lion, i'm on the cruise directely after yours!
have a cosmpolitan for me!
lexxity
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Jackson

I was on that July 4th cruise as well, and agree the first night in
the Britannia was slow, but it improved the next evenings. I think
they were understaffed in that room, but the Lotus service and
food was amazing!!
I think if you want to have a good time you really have to look to
ruin it for yourself. I think it is the finest ship afloat.
A suggestion for someone would be to go to one of the alternate
choice restaurants the first night as they are all pretty empty, except
for Todd English which you have to book right away and is perfect.
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Hi Johnny G.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience aboard the QM2.

I am hoping that as Gabriel mentioned, perhaps this was due to the "cruise to nowhere" that you were on. Although, in my book, it's not acceptable for a magnificent ocean liner and the Cunard name.

We'll be on the July 28th sailing and like Pat, I am hoping to hear some encouraging reviews.

I think we'll have fun anyway because that's what we are all about!

Ps-I do see a "trend" in the first night @ the Britannia Restaurant. It's not the first time I'm reading that they "took a while to get their act together." Wonder why?
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Becky H

We were on the delayed June 19 NYC-Southhampton crossing (a bit of a pain which ended with the unexpected bonus of saling out of NY harbor after dark - fabulous), and although we did not dine in the Britannia dining room, we did overhear several complaints about the service. I agree with the earlier post that it seems in many areas no one is specifically in charge, although the maitre 'd in the Princess Grill dining room was very good. So much of the experience does depend on table placement and personnel in the dining room, and it is certainly unfortunate to have an unpleasant experience due to these uncontrollable things.

Overall, we were pleased with the crossing, our suite was extremely nice, and the general service was good but not exceptional, ditto for the food. I have sailed on many ships, but not previously on Cunard. I have always been, and still am, a very big fan of Celebrity and will likely spend my cruise dollars there and elsewhere in the future. I think the posting which mentioned the possibility of pulling some of the staff from Carnival may be right on target. Most staff, in many areas of service, did not seem like the polished professionals one would expect on the most famous oceanliner in the world. The exception is Captain Paul Wright. He is the consummate professional with a stunning personality and concern for his passengers' enjoyment. But even with the negative consideratons, it is a wondeful liner and just the fabulous opportunity to cross the Atlantic in style is worth the trip. I hope Cunard takes heed of all these very informative postings and makes appropriate improvements. I fear this is the "Carnival Factor" at work here. I really hope everyone who is booked on future trips has a wonderful time and can overlook some of the negatives..

Here's wishing everyone Bon Voyage.

Becky H
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Noel and Carole

We were on the maiden voyage and they had a few hiccups, but we feel any poor service in Britannia was directly related to our waiter/waitress. Assistant Valerie T was very helpful, and we always had exellent lunch service. Some nights seemed a bit rushed but we believe our waiter did not want to be there. His assistant waiter was exellent. So... when you tip, give it where it is deserved and the bad ones will leave...
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Paul Z

I was also on the July 4th cruise ...This was my 25 th cruise and sailed on the QE2 15 times. The service in the restaurant was just horrible. Our waiter was very slow with no personality..He was the worst waiter I have encountered so far..The menu is also short on selections and they even cut the menu choices from the inter-active TV..I have alot of complaints with the ship and won't go into detail with this letter.
I want to get to the point with the July 4th cruise that was supposed to be in New York harbor... I used to work for Port Authority of New York..When I arrived in my room, I and everone on board read a letter that stated because of security reasons we are being displaced to Newport, RI..I asked the representatives on board and they told me they just found out from Port Authority that all commercial vessels were prohibited from entering the harbor on July 4th. That was a big lie. I found out that Port Authority told all commercial companies on June 1. That was 30 days notice...I met at least 200 people that they would send a letter and try to get partial credit because of this...I am sending my letter today... Send it to the attention "Guest Relations."
Jonny G you can get the address from your travel agency or call 1-800-528-6273.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Gabriel

My wife and I had wanted to go on this cruise, but there were no early booking fares available for the cabin grade we wanted.

So, Paul Z., can I discern from your note that you were unable to view the NYC fireworks from the QM2? That was a big reason we would have gone. Did the ship actually dock in Newport?

Sorry to hear your trip was such a letdown. It would be nice if someone from Cunard would respond in this forum.
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Corky

Paul, in view of all of your Cunard voyages, has the World Club had anything to say about your experience? Is the World Club working to make amends with a valued customer?

Not to harp on an old issue, but shouldn't the World Club be in the forefront of soothing all of these unhappy passengers?
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:28 AM
NJmatt

I agree with some of the posters about the service in the Brittania Restaurant,as we were on the June 11th sailing to the Caribbean from New York. Both our waiter and busboy were from South Africa and were polite at all times. However when we went to the Brittania in the mornings for breakfast,which was open seating,we found some of the waiters to be "surly" and rather abrupt. One morning we sat in the Brittania for 20 minutes before getting the attention which was the maitre'd who took our orders and served us our breakfast and it was only 4 of us.

Yes,the QM2 has only been in service since January and Cunard still needs to get the "kinks" out of everything. I would not hesitate going back on the QM2 again to see if the service levels have not increased in the Brittania Restaurant or elsewhere on the ship. I have been on Celebrity ships and no matter how new the ship was,the service was always consistent....not on Cunard.

I really feel with the money that parent company Carnival has spent on QM2 does not come into line with service that people have experienced in the past on Cunard...I would not be surprised to see Carnival pull the ship from under Cunard and put that baby in one of its other divisions...namely Princess...where the ship will get itself a new name and better overall cruise experience.

I guess we are spoiled really from having going on "cruise ships" rather than a true "oceanliner" of days gone past.
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I was also on the July 4th cruise supposedly for the fireworks in New York Harbor. This was the selling point of this cruise as the ship did not make any ports during the short 4 days. Because of security reasons, we were told upon arrival through a letter in our room that we would view the fireworks in Newport, Rhode Island, instead. I imagine this was not discovered at the last minute and they had some advance notice that a message should have been conveyed to the passengers prior to boarding. This started the cruise on a bad note as we felt that we were deceived. But already being on board, we would make the best of it and started to get our bearings on the ship. The ship is beautiful and everyone we met (guests and staff) were friendly and courteous.

At Britannia the first night, there was confusion as to how to get to our table. The host/hostesses were bustling around and there was no clear direction on where we should wait to be seated. A lot of the passengers entered the dining area in search of their numbered tables. We did the same and were helped by a waiter who took us on the long way through the dining hall and then backtracked to our table. The service, as everyone previously indicated, was appalling. While the waiter was pleasant, the service was slow and unorganized. A member of our table repeatedly requested a wine steward but he never appeared until after our dinner was served and consumed. When the wine steward finally arrived, we indicated that we were never offered cocktails (of which each of us would have had at least 1, and probably more) and we would have liked some wine with our entree. No apologies was offered; in fact, the wine steward's response was that tomorrow night, we should order our wine over the interactive tv in our room and it would be at our table the next evening! Just out of curiousity, we checked the interactive tv the next day and that ordering service was "not available at this time." The food was mediocre and lukewarm when it arrived at the table. Also, during dessert, our coffee arrived at least 5 minutes after the desserts were finished and 2 of the table guests had already left for the after-dinner show.

We tried the Britannia for 1 breakfast and 1 lunch and the service was the same. In fact, at breakfast, the man sitting at the table next to us found a staple in his oatmeal. The waiter seemed apologetic and disappeared from the dining room for a couple of minutes. When he reappeared, the man indicated that he expected some response, at the very least, another cup of oatmeal, but there was none forthcoming. The maitre'd didn't even appear.

Needless to say, we ate dinner at the alternative restaurants in Kings Court for the rest of the cruise. La Piazza was the same when 3 waiters came to our table but none seemed to know who was going to take our drink order. We finally requested the maitre'd who took our drink order, dinner order and served our meal. We ate at Lotus the next night (and the night afterwards) with attentive waiters, excellent food and at the end of the meal, the matire'd came over to ask how our dinner was. At the time, it seemed to be an exceptional experience, but in retrospect, it was only because the service at the other restaurants were appalling.

We, and those who have posted here, are not alone in our disappointment. Everywhere we went during those 4 days -- lounging in the deck chairs, waiting for the Planetarium show to start, in the theatre, eating lunch -- we would hear everyone complaining about the dining service and how much money they spent to be served so poorly.

I understand that the ship has growing pains, and while I appreciate requests for time and patience, we paid a lot of money for this cruise a year in advance (no early booking available for our room) and these issues should have been ironed out before the first passenger steps on board. The first impression is the lasting impression!! We are not "cruisers" and book vacations such as the QM2 because of it's reputation for good service and excellent passenger care. The service may turn around in a year or two but Cunard should give us early passengers a discounted rate for being their guinea pigs. Not only did we feel we wasted our money for a Newport, Rhode Island firework display, but we wasted valuable vacation time.

As with Johnny G and Paul Z, Cunard can expect a letter from me and a request for a refund.
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Pat Jonson

Default Poor service reports

Thanks to all who offered encouragement for our upcoming trip.

One more question: it never occurred to us that we would want to watch the departure from NYC (Statue of Liberty, etc.), and we requested early seating (6 p.m.). This departure is something we want to enjoy, so obviously we will have to miss our first dinner in the Brittania Dining Room. Will we be able to go somewhere else, after we leave the harbor??
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Paul Z

Your letter NJmatt was very informative. I have already sent a letter for a refund. The July 4th cruise to Newport, RI. I will see what happens.
As far a being a World Club member, the ship did not care. They usually send a note, call, or I receive a gift upon boarding the ship. I received none of the above. I asked management on the last day why I was not recognized as a worlld club member, and they said the cruise is only five days and that is to short to honor members.
Cunard has a library of excuses.
I will not travel on this ship again for along time.
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM
go west

Lots of luck on getting satisfaction from Cunard. 20 years ago we were on QE2 and were overcharged on our card and tried to contact them with phone calls, letters, etc., and received no response from them. However, they continued to send us brochures and letters about taking another cruise with them. No way!
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:35 PM
NJmatt

Default Re: Re: Re: QM-2 Extremeley Poor Service Never travel on CUN

Paul.you are quite welcome. i must say one thing. I am very spoiled by Celebrity and never once have when I sailed on any Celebrity ship have I ever been disappointed by the service I received. Every time we've sailed on Celebrity was always on one of its new ships which were the Century class ships..Galaxy...Mercury...Century. The service I came to know was always repeated over...time and time again. When we had dinner and we were only drinking ship water and asked for lemon with the water,there was always fresh lemon on the table at dinner every night...not on Cunard.

People pay good money for a cruise..whether for a 4 day sailing on a transatlantic sailing...one should get what they pay for...and more...and this includes good
service.
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Paul Z

JOHNNY
I have contacted many passengers who are interested in a class action suit with the cruise we where on. I have contacted some attorney's from NEW YORK CITY who already started a lawsuit against CUNARD. I think Carnival should have not put a bid for Cunard 3 years ago. Carnival is to smart for Cunard and either will let the Queen Mary takes its course with service, or they will spend a drastic amount of money for improvements.
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:54 PM
Johnny G

Paul,

I believe there was a breach of contract by Cunard to the passangers because they advertised that the festivities would be in New York Harbor. I would join in a class action suit against Cunard to get a full refund.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:34 AM
Passenger

I believe that you will note that Cunard along with all shipping lines rely on well established conventions that allow them to change an itinerary. I believe it's the Athens convention though being away from my main office I would have to check.

The question is when did Cunard know they were changing to Newport and how did they communicate this to passengers. Convention dictates that they should notify you within a "reasonable" period. If Cunard themselves didn't know until 24 hrs before then clearly it wasn't possible for them to notify 2600 passengers in advance. If on the other hand they had say 2 weeks notice and the change could be considered to be a significant change affecting the overall basis of the holiday then i would think there is a reasonable case.

Having said all that I believe Cunard made reasonable efforts to ensure you had a most enjoyable experience. A considerable sum of money was spent of fireworks and the main facility of the ship was still available. I would think that "security" will be used a s the reason for the change. Sadly changes post 9/11 are impacting on many travel plans and Cunard must change thier plans according to advice and most possibly in this case because they had no alternative.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Paul Z

Thanks for the important information that was passed on in your letter. Cunard was informed 34 days in advance of the change. All shipping companies were notified on June 1, 2004. I have this is writing from Port Authority and some of rhe taxi companies in the New York harbor. Cunard did not notify passengers of this change. Just about all of the 2,700 passengers arrived in their cabins and read a letter that it was about a 24 hour notice that Cunard received regarding the security change. Common sense will tell everyone that if they told paying customers of the change 4 weeks in advance, alot of people would have cancelled. I would have tried to get my money back and taken another vessel that had scheduled stops in New England. My travel agent had a large group anfd thought it was a slap in the face.

RE: CHESHIRE and JOHNNY
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Jane_Marlow

No "breach of contract" occured. It's a disapointment for certain, but cruise lines retain the right to "change itinerary" and "ports of call". Read it in your passenger contract.
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Ah yes! " the get out of jail free card" The problem here is that this convention allows for weather or emegency related incidents. A Hurricane in the Caribbean, industrial dispute at short notice. In other words incidents that the cruise operator couldn't reasonably forsee that necessitated a change to the planned itinerary. These could also be called Force majeure in certain circumstances.

The difference between these situations that the conditions are designed to cover is the fact that it appears Cunard Knew in advance they couldn't operate the crusie according to the scheduled itinerary. In these circumstances the people affected on this cruise to New York believe Cunard should have notified them in advance and offered an alternative cruise or a refund.

Sadly Cunard have done the same thing with other cruises and they choose not to inform passengers until they received their "final" travel documents. Poor show Cunard.

Tell the passengers what the problem is and the'll support you and be understanding. I think most people are reasonable and would understand the decision to change an itinerary. Mislead them and when they find out any understanding will be replaced with a feeling of being "had" and they'll bite back. Management HAS to take responsibilty for these examples of poor leadership. No point blaming the persons on the end of the phone or the onboard crew. It's the US offices who are directing things now.

Post Edited (07-25-04 14:43)
Old July 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Yeoman

management sure do love to make the decisions! i think that bringing a class action suit would be hard as there are other reviews on the net saying how fabulous it was to see the fireworks in R.I. instead of NYC.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Passenger

From the Carnival Cruise website.

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the passenger's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.